Safe Queen Project

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Safe Queen Project

Post by Mick280 » 06 Apr 2015, 6:15 pm

G'Day All
I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223 sitting in my safe that I bought about 4 years ago mainly as a platform for a bit of a project later on.
Did some load development with from memory 55g bergers,Shoots beautifully even with the s**ty stock and cheap scope I threw on it (Only fired about 50 rounds)
I want to set it up to do bench rest as well as use it for a bit of long range rabbit snipeing.
If members could please help me out with suggestions on a good stock ($300-$600) that would handle both jobs.
Thanks
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Safe Queen Project

Post by TheDude » 06 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm

what you think you want, wood/laminate or synthetic? a boyds laminate would set you back under $200 inc shipping direct from the US. finish it off with a good bedding job and you'll have some left over to go towards a scope upgrade. got one of the thumbhole varmints on my 223 tikka i've been very happy with.

Alternatively, for synthetic, a bell and carlson varmint would set you back around $500.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mick280 » 06 Apr 2015, 9:12 pm

Thanks Dude
Not real big on the laminate,Don't ask me why,Don't own one,It's probably the look of them I think.
Was looking more towards a nice timber stock,I realise this is probably a hard ask and would more than likely have to get one made (Big bucks there)
Would settle for a good quality synthetic though,As long as it's better than the crap that's on it now!
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Morro » 06 Apr 2015, 10:36 pm

Theres a gunsmith west of Newcastle of German origin (Anschutz trained) who's wife is a stock maker. I can vouch for the quality of both their work, guessing it would come down to the type of wood and detail that would dictate the price. If you want their details ill PM to u.
Morro
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 07 Apr 2015, 4:08 pm

They're over your budget new but you can pick up a second had adjustable GRS stock for about $500 - $600 depending on the day.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 07 Apr 2015, 11:05 pm

Thanks Fellas
Would like to get those details of you Morro.
I'm probably not far from where you're talking about.
Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 08 Apr 2015, 9:59 am

I could make you one of these for $250;

Stock has a wide, flat beavertail fore end, for use with a bench rest, or can be fitted with a rail for bi-pod etc. Back of the butt is V shaped to fit in rabbit eared sand bag, butt hook is used to pull the rifle into your shoulder with your off hand when using bench rest/bi-pod, this allow your trigger arm/hand to stay relaxed, minimising muscle tremors transferring to the stock. Stock in supplied with a 12mm/25mm recoil pad depending on caliber.

Stocks are make of laminated bamboo in either traditional strip lay up, or strand woven which looks very much like real timber. Stocks are finished either with oil, (as below), rubber armor finish (as above), or swirl camo. Rubber and swirl finished stocks are made of laminated birch, and are the same price;

Traditional strip lay up

Strand woven, plain and tiger stripe

Swirl camo (note, no two swirl camo finishes are the same)
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 08 Apr 2015, 10:20 am

For $700 (price dependent on exchange rate, and other factors outside of my control) your could go the full TactiKool upgrade which includes;

Adjustable butt pad,

Adjustable Kydex cheek riser,

Accessory rail long enough for bi-pod and touch/laser, QD sling attachment,

Bi-pod,

And drag bag (rifle case that folds out into shooting mat),

All pieces are available individually, and can be ordered with the stock or latter to upgrade the TactiKool stock.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 08 Apr 2015, 2:08 pm

Mick280 wrote:Thanks Fellas
Mick

I can vouch for who Morro is referring to.

He's done a lot of quality work for me and at reasonable pricing. Both on rifles and handguns.

I had a Brno stock replaced with another Walnut stock that was hand made and the finish is sensational. I'm afraid to touch it.

However, looking at Trekin's work, they also look sensational, plus the bag ain't a bad option.

Just wish I could lay down and shoot.

Now I'm thinking about giving him a go with something I'm thinking of getting as a safe queen also. I really wanted a Sako TRG22, but, the plastic wasnt my thing.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mick280 » 08 Apr 2015, 4:24 pm

Nice work Trekin.
Could you also pm me some contact details please.
Thanks.Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 08 Apr 2015, 5:31 pm

Mick280 wrote:Nice work Trekin.
Could you also pm me some contact details please.
Thanks.Mick

PM sent.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 08 Apr 2015, 5:40 pm

bluerob wrote:
Mick280 wrote:Thanks Fellas
Mick

I can vouch for who Morro is referring to.

He's done a lot of quality work for me and at reasonable pricing. Both on rifles and handguns.

I had a Brno stock replaced with another Walnut stock that was hand made and the finish is sensational. I'm afraid to touch it.

However, looking at Trekin's work, they also look sensational, plus the bag ain't a bad option.

Just wish I could lay down and shoot.

Now I'm thinking about giving him a go with something I'm thinking of getting as a safe queen also. I really wanted a Sako TRG22, but, the plastic wasnt my thing.

Safe queen you say, :shock: might have the wrong stock maker :D :lol: My stocks are more like Cinderella, made to be used and abused, but will be a little princess when needed. :clap: :clap:
Let me know what you have in mind, and I'll see if it's doable.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by chacka » 09 Apr 2015, 1:34 pm

Blackened wrote:They're over your budget new but you can pick up a second had adjustable GRS stock for about $500 - $600 depending on the day.

If you can pick up an as-new one for $500 :thumbsup:

Very nice stock.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Civet » 12 Apr 2015, 8:21 am

Morro or Bluerob,
I'd love the details of the smith west of Newcastle, if that's ok?
Thanks Civet
Civet
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Gunsmithing