Quick release mount via sling-stud style hole

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Quick release mount via sling-stud style hole

Post by VICHunter » 13 Apr 2015, 2:45 pm

Tell me what you think gents.

Platform for this is a 360 degree swivel mounted on a ball for a little up/down and side/side movement, not just rotation. Top of the swivel has a 1/2" wide by 1" high stud on it. This will be fixed to the 4x4, location still to be decided.

The plan is to have a socket drilled directing into a sporter stock to act as a sort of quick release coupling, so the rifle can put on/off the stud as required quickly.

I could drill a .5" x 1" hole in the stock but I expect with recoil and putting it on off the stock wouldn't last long.

I figure if I can get a steel tube with .5" internal diameter and drill for that instead, and epoxy it into the stock, the tube will protect against slowly cracking the stock from the inside.

What do you say?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Quick release mount via sling-stud style hole

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Apr 2015, 2:55 pm

Sounds interesting mate, look forward to seeing some pics of it all.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pmomd » 14 Apr 2015, 1:20 pm

I reckon the stock would eventually (maybe soon) for split for sure with anything that recoils more than a 22 or 223 without some re enforcing like the steel tube.

Interesting idea though yeah
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by south » 16 Apr 2015, 12:51 pm

Sounds like a rugged option.

People have done similar with camera tripod mounts I've seen too if it doesn't pan out and you want something easier to do.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by AlanK » 16 Apr 2015, 3:06 pm

Kinda sounds like a lot of work over just leaving a back or the bonnet or towel draped over the trap.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing