Building New Rifles: 7mm08 & 223SHORT

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Building New Rifles: 7mm08 & 223SHORT

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2017, 8:51 am

This must be an expensive PITA.

Another good reason to just do what most people do. Buy off the shelf in a popular calibre.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2017, 12:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:This must be an expensive PITA.

Another good reason to just do what most people do. Buy off the shelf in a popular calibre.

Not really that expensive, just having issues with not having the right contacts to get the job done quickly.

Yes, it would be easier to buy a rifle off the shelf but it would also be easier just to buy beer from the bottle shop and knives from the camping store.....
:lol:

I do like the idea of developing a new cartridge, even if just a tweak on someone else's design. If i can get it to achieve similar velocities to a 223rem with less than half the powder it will save money in the long run. That whole concept of doing more with less is very appealing. Had the die maker and reamer/go-gauge timed as planned, this thing would have been running 18 months ago at a total build cost of around $1300-1400 including reamer and dies. As it is, i am thinking of a 1:14 barrel to be better suited to 35-40gn bullets, so that will cost a bit more. It will be perfect for the pests i shoot and i reckon would make a great little fox rifle as well.

As it is, i still have it in 223rem and it cost me about $1000 to build. Not bad going for a rifle that plugs 5 rounds into less than 0.5moa at 300yds with 50gn bullets.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bills Shed » 11 Jun 2017, 5:37 pm

Hi Gwion,
When you have that short running, let me know and I will give you some swaged projectiles to put down it. We could do a custom jacket length for some 30 grain pills so that there is less jump while retaining seating depth or a thicker jacket made from a trimmed 22 mag cases for a long 40 grain or.......the possibilities are endless.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 6:32 pm

Sounds great, Bill! Need to sort out cash flow first, though. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tripod » 11 Jun 2017, 7:43 pm

Pity you already have the reamer otherwise I would go you halves in a 22TCM reamer, Dies are available.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 8:07 pm

What's a tcm?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2017, 8:15 pm

Don't worry. I just looked it up. Looks very similar to the short. Didn't know it existed when I started on this and ordered the reamer. Still, the McShort has a few differences and I'm keen to see how it goes. If it works as planned I reckon it will make the perfect wallaby rifle for Tas.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing