Another Project

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Another Project

Post by Varmtr » 07 May 2015, 10:43 am

:roll:
Well another project is on the cards this time a Winchester P14 built into a 303/25 Epps, and why cause I can and something different don't see to many.
- tune the action
- machine up a pic rail
- S/S 26" fluted remm varmint profile not sure on twist either 1:10 or 1:7 TSE
- thumb hole stock varmint foreend in either walnut or tasy blackwood
- Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA SFP scope
- timney trigger
- speed lock

There will be more most likely :lol:
Oh and scrounge as many spares as I possibly can for her.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Another Project

Post by Gwion » 08 May 2015, 6:59 am

Hey Varmtr, sounds like an interesting project.
"Cause I can and it's something different". I like that and can relate.

A Blackwood stock sounds great. Where will you source the stock?
I have a few bits of Blackwood butt slowly doing their thing so I can make some stocks down the track.

Good luck with the project. Will be keeping track and looking forward to seeing final result.

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Sender » 11 May 2015, 1:19 pm

Blackwood could be nice.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 11 May 2015, 1:36 pm

You have me thinking about the stash of timber I have in storage back in Tassie also
Some gnarly old slabs set aside for thick table tops and legs etc. Huon Pine, black heart sassafras and black wood

Love the black heart sassafras
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by fawksel » 11 May 2015, 4:13 pm

Gwion wrote:"Cause I can"

Isn't that how all great things get started :D
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 11 May 2015, 9:12 pm

fawksel wrote:

Yep :lol:

I have quite a few piece's of blackwood furniture made by my grand father all french polished, thus always liked the look of blackwood. I have thought of using sassafras for a while. I spoke to Geoff Slee about it he advised the problem with sassafras its common to split down the grain on any rifle with reasonable recoil.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 11 May 2015, 9:35 pm

Varmtr wrote:
fawksel wrote:

Yep :lol:

I have quite a few piece's of blackwood furniture made by my grand father all french polished, thus always liked the look of blackwood. I have thought of using sassafras for a while. I spoke to Geoff Slee about it he advised the problem with sassafras its common to split down the grain on any rifle with reasonable recoil.

Yup. A good butt end of Blackwood is going to be way more stable with higher structural integrity than Sassi. The beauty of Blackwood is that the grain structure is so tightly packed and, particularly in the butt section, very complex: giving it excellent stability and rigidity when seasoned correctly. Unfortunately, it also makes very freaking heavy.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Korkt » 12 May 2015, 3:18 pm

You could always go a thinner profile stock to try and find the best of both worlds.

Effectively get the same strength in less stock, and hopefully break about even on the weight.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Kelix » 20 May 2015, 11:27 am

fawksel wrote:

It's how arguments with the wife get started here :lol:
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 05 Jun 2015, 11:05 pm

OK update

Have one Winchester P14 in 303/25 with a Bell & Carlson stock ( yuk ).
Build slightly changed going 6.5mm ( better pill designs and options ) instead of 25cal so 6.5mm-303 Epps. The cartridge will not be a true Epps design I'm going a shorter neck and push the 35o shoulder forward a bit more a bit more capacity. So it will be a custom die's for me.
Barrel wise will be a 1:9 this should stabilize most 6.5 pills around except for some of the Berger offerings. Barrel length going to 28" as I will most likely need to run a slower powder something like AR2213SC.
Action will still stay c-o-c but there are ways to speed up lock time in these actions.
Have a Vortex PST 6-24x50 SFP MOA ready to go.
Brass wise have Bertram 303-25 and got some Hornady 303 brass which both require either neck up or down and fire form.
Stock wise going Blackwood currently orgaising a template to copy thumbhole style.

By the end it ain't going to be a light weight but meh who care's built for hydraulicing foxes at stupid ranges lol.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wheedle » 09 Jun 2015, 3:32 pm

Varmtr wrote:Barrel wise will be a 1:9 this should stabilize most 6.5 pills around except for some of the Berger offerings.

They make some damn long pills allright.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Lyam » 23 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

Varmtr wrote:Barrel wise will be a 1:9 this should stabilize most 6.5 pills around except for some of the Berger offerings.

Looks like the 120gr Bergers are fine.

Everything heavier than that needs 1:8 looking at their website.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Fujix » 07 Jul 2015, 10:00 am

You going to finish one Varmtr or are you going for the record of most started projects :lol: :friends:
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 10 Jul 2015, 12:45 am

Fujix wrote:You going to finish one Varmtr or are you going for the record of most started projects :lol: :friends:

:lol: You know whats it like so many idea's and so little time and $$$.

Yes I will finish this one just need to organise stuff. Not easy getting gear for the P14's here compared to the US of A.
I have started making a new firing pin out of grade 5 Titanium which will be around 40-45% lighter than original, and just got my new Timney trigger as well. Just ordered a couple of new slightly heavier main springs from Wolff Springs in the states. So with heavier spring and titanium firing pin the lock time should be quite a bit better. If need to I'll change to C-O-O but I'll try C-O-C at the moment.
Action wise it has been contoured very nicely saving me a lot of time currently fitted with a Leupold bridge mount but have some 4140 pic rail in the shed so on the mill and make to suit.

Cheers
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Brute » 10 Jul 2015, 3:03 pm

Fujix wrote:You going to finish one Varmtr or are you going for the record of most started projects :lol: :friends:

Not finishing is what keeps you busy :lol:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 13 Jul 2015, 2:11 pm

They say "He who dies with the most toys wins" but they didn't say the toys have to be finished :lol:

Varmtr is going for the win!
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing