Laser chequering / engraving in action

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Laser chequering / engraving in action

Post by Wobble » 28 May 2015, 10:21 am

Posted in another OT thread but IMO very cool.

Video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUsxIW5JlU

gun-checkering-pattern.jpg
gun-checkering-pattern.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 3928 times

Really is the end of craftsman though :|
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Laser chequering / engraving in action

Post by KWhorenet » 28 May 2015, 11:17 am

Damn I would be laser patterning everything I own if I had the gear. Wooden walls, ute, people, everything must get a pattern :D
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 28 May 2015, 11:28 am

That is unbelievable

Then the next youtube clip comes up showing hand engraving doing scroll work on a receiver by hand for a complete opposite
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 28 May 2015, 1:18 pm

Seriously cool and after 4.5 years since it was made I can imagine what they can do now. I can watch tech clips like this for hours and hours in pure amazement and particularly like the "How It's Made" series.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Franky » 28 May 2015, 5:21 pm

That's just too awesome for words I wonder if they can touch up damaged timber by making it deeper?
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jake84 » 29 May 2015, 7:23 am

love that show how things are made
you can get that sort of work done on your boyds stock they do that too
jake84
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 9:36 am

and something I didn't even notice initially is the use of high velocity CO2 not laser

Even more impressive! I haven't looked into the how it works yet but I presume it is like a plotter or laser printer head directing high pressure/velocity CO2 instead of ink?
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by JOY » 29 May 2015, 12:06 pm

Wow that's simply stunning to watch it's so beautiful when it's finished I just keep watching over and over
JOY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 29 May 2015, 12:34 pm

KWhorenet wrote:and something I didn't even notice initially is the use of high velocity CO2 not laser

Even more impressive! I haven't looked into the how it works yet but I presume it is like a plotter or laser printer head directing high pressure/velocity CO2 instead of ink?

It actually is a L.A.S.E.R, there are many kinds and this one happens to be the CO2 variety. they have another video showing what they can do with paper which is cool as well https://www.youtube.com/user/lasersystemsuk/videos
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 12:37 pm

I now have to start looking for a way to purchase one of these somehow, somewhere or put one together with components and build my frame :shock:
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by brett1868 » 29 May 2015, 1:58 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I now have to start looking for a way to purchase one of these somehow, somewhere or put one together with components and build my frame :shock:

I'm sure there are some DIY plans to build a CNC engraver using a high powered LED Laser. I've been saving up for a 3D printer and every time I'm about to purchase one the technology takes a jump forward so i'll wait till they make a reasonably priced one that prints metal.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by KWhorenet » 29 May 2015, 2:09 pm

brett1868 wrote:
KWhorenet wrote:I now have to start looking for a way to purchase one of these somehow, somewhere or put one together with components and build my frame :shock:

I'm sure there are some DIY plans to build a CNC engraver using a high powered LED Laser. I've been saving up for a 3D printer and every time I'm about to purchase one the technology takes a jump forward so i'll wait till they make a reasonably priced one that prints metal.

I think with my new workshop / garage that's being planned for a build later this year, I will need to seriously consider future proofing its design for expansion. Getting it pre approved for added workshop/paint booth/woodworking machining rooms as my free time (now semi retired) gets taken up by this wonderful world of DIY with equipment I could only dream of in the past, or use whilst employed by a big organisation :thumbsup:

I think the laser engraver could pay for it self if I became proficient and it was capable of more than I need personally
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Spooner » 02 Jun 2015, 1:13 pm

Franky wrote:That's just too awesome for words I wonder if they can touch up damaged timber by making it deeper?

Looking at it I'd say it takes and even depth of so would be tricky to get it to plane down a bump or level the surrounds of a dent.

If you fixed it up a bit my hand then used the laser to refinish the whole thing for an even look that would work magic though.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Gunsmithing