Detachable magazine project

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Detachable magazine project

Post by bosi72 » 17 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

Hi
I'd like to install detachable magazine on Zastava LK M70 rifle in .30-06 cal.
Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in Melbourne or Victoria who can do this.
Thanks
bosi72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Detachable magazine project

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Jun 2015, 3:10 pm

Do you have the DBM [Detachable bottom metal] parts recommended for that rifle ?
Reason I ask is that I recently has a Lumley DBM installed in a Remington 700 SA [HS Precision stock].
If the parts had not been specifically designed for the Remington it would not have been possible to install them, thinking here of distance between receiver / stock screws as the first hurdle.
Even with correct bits and a known workable mag height a very good friend spent around 4 hrs on a two axis CNC mill to inlet the stock, he knew nothing of rifles but does now LOL.
If I understand correctly the Zastava is a Mauser ?
In that case I think that most work done on rifles like that is to make them suitable for big game hunting, maybe to hold three rounds of some large bore "African" game ammo ?
Anything can be made if cost is disregarded, you may also find that some Gunsmiths work at a glacial pace and charge like wounded bulls.
You could be better off considering converting a Remington or Winchester or Sako ?
If you so choose I would recommend the Lumley components and could put you in touch with a competent Engineer.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2015, 5:06 pm

Can't help with any ready made brands for the Zastava M70 but am keen to hear more myself. I am getting a rifle built on a Zastava M85 action and would also prefer a DBM.

As for smiths, well... there are plenty around and installing a DBM is not a big job. If they have to customise something because there're no after market parts available, then that's a different matter!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bosi72 » 21 Jun 2015, 7:17 pm

Thanks all for your responses. Zastava is a rifle based on Mauser licence since 1898, then cooperation with Remington 798, etc... I sent a number of emails to various companies but only got positive response from Jeff from CDI:
.. the DBM is $209 and 5 round mags are $90 each..ship there is $50. It does need some install work on users end but it sure is worth it. for the 30-06 you need a 300 Wm mag that’s what we use, they work great..you can order on our webstore too ...

I believe Jeff was referring to:

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.co ... ngton-798/

however I am yet to confirm and clarify some questions before purchasing.
I would prefer a simple part which would be easy replaceable without cutting the stock, welding, etc..

Will keep you updated.
bosi72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 22 Jun 2015, 6:46 pm

I've put a CDI DBM 308 length on my parker hale, it's a Mauser action. Not sure if they do 30-06 length tho. Best to email them and ask
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Davies » 02 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

bosi72 wrote:I would prefer a simple part which would be easy replaceable without cutting the stock, welding, etc..

Will keep you updated.

Any luck?
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gregt » 22 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

Gwion wrote:Can't help with any ready made brands for the Zastava M70 but am keen to hear more myself. I am getting a rifle built on a Zastava M85 action and would also prefer a DBM.

As for smiths, well... there are plenty around and installing a DBM is not a big job. If they have to customise something because there're no after market parts available, then that's a different matter!!!

You could probably sort something for the M85 using CZ 527 parts, it's the same basic action and they come with a 5 round box mag. I'm just in the process of making a 10 round setup for my new M85, it's not a small job though. There's no mag I could find that's 10 round that will fit into the action far enough to feed, I've ended up machining up my own and will make a trigger guard to suit.
Gregt
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gwion » 25 Jul 2015, 10:59 pm

Gregt wrote:
Gwion wrote:Can't help with any ready made brands for the Zastava M70 but am keen to hear more myself. I am getting a rifle built on a Zastava M85 action and would also prefer a DBM.

You could probably sort something for the M85 using CZ 527 parts, it's the same basic action and they come with a 5 round box mag. I'm just in the process of making a 10 round setup for my new M85, it's not a small job though. There's no mag I could find that's 10 round that will fit into the action far enough to feed, I've ended up machining up my own and will make a trigger guard to suit.

That is an effort, Gregt!
I was looking at the CZ mag.
Do you think my 223short will fit in a Zasty 22hornet mag? The case is a little shorter than the hornet but also its fatter as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Usurper » 27 Jul 2015, 10:21 am

Gregt wrote:I've ended up machining up my own and will make a trigger guard to suit.

Chance of a photo?
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 25 Aug 2015, 9:10 am

Did you get this done in the end Bosi?
Wes