Shotgun barrel shortening

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Shotgun barrel shortening

Post by WildHunter » 04 Aug 2015, 9:38 pm

I purchased a shotgun a few years ago in 18inch because I'm vertically challenged. All good and well, suits me fine.
I recently acquired a second hand shotgun from a mate moving to America for a bargain price. However it was a 20inch barrel, the chokes it use stick out from the barrel nearly another two inches, 1 mark before 2inches on a ruler to be precise. So from 18 inches that's nearly another four. I was going to go get the barrel cut down to 18inches so it would be more like 20 with the chokes in. However I found out it's illegal to get shotgun barrels cut down you can only order them in a lower size.
Is this like the s**t the R7615 mag rule where they can't be imported from overseas into Vic of more than 5 rounds nut you are allowed to have 10 round mags and 10 round ones are made in Vic and can be sourced from interstate?
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Shotgun barrel shortening

Post by brett1868 » 04 Aug 2015, 10:41 pm

Barrel length is noted on the registration in NSW but I'm reasonably sure our legislation permits 18" barrels on a 12ga. Talk to your friendly gunsmith about cutting it down to 18" and having the rego papers updated to reflect the shorter barrel, should be nice and legal that way. It's not unusual for a gunsmith to lop the end off a rifle barrel to recrown it due to damage, I'd have to think he same was legal for 12ga to repair damaged threads for the chokes :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 04 Aug 2015, 11:29 pm

I went to have it done and he said legally he can't.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 04 Aug 2015, 11:56 pm

WildHunter wrote:I went to have it done and he said legally he can't.

Hmmm...might not be aware of the legislation in VIC or he is aware of it and he's correct that it's illegal. Possibly a friendly chat to the registry down there, mention that you need to shorten the barrel from 20" to 18" for the repair of choke threads. See what they say, if legal then find another smith or if not then being a fellow short ass I suggest platform shoes :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 05 Aug 2015, 12:18 am

Bahahaha platform shoes. Yeah nah I'd prefer the barrel. I'll try calling the LRD and see what they come up with.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 05 Aug 2015, 12:32 am

Its not the size that matters...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bear foot bowhunter » 05 Aug 2015, 10:39 am

Does any one know if this can be done in qld , we don't have a berrel length restriction , and when I was talking to the gun shop the other day that said barrels are clast as parts ?
bear foot bowhunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by WildHunter » 05 Aug 2015, 10:43 am

Apparently it's a Vic thing. So we're devising ways to get it done interstate :P Or I'll just hit the end a couple of times with a hammer till it's bent in and then send it to be "repaired" cut down.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 11 Aug 2015, 8:43 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Its not the size that matters...

Nah it's bragging rights about velocity when you get 20fps more with the inch longer barrel right :mrgreen:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing