Rust!

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rust!

Post by zobster » 30 Aug 2015, 11:45 pm

Admin, I'm not quite sure if this belongs here, please remove / relocate if it isn't where it should belong.

I just discovered I have really salty hands. I handled my stainless howa after it was clean and place in the safe for about 4wks and where I've touched it, it developed some tiny spots of rust. :cry: :cry:

I put on some oil and used a bit of stainless wool to scrub it off. Now that the rust has come off, there's some "stains" that could not be removed no matter how hard I scrub. The stains are where the rust spots used to be.

Help please. I'm heart broken, I'm going to use gloves whenever I handle them now. :|
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Rust!

Post by zobster » 31 Aug 2015, 12:06 am

rifle-rust.jpg
rifle-rust.jpg (198.92 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Hatter » 01 Sep 2015, 2:20 pm

Man that's tiny. Stress less :lol:

Seriously though, is it just stained or is there pitting? I know it's tiny and maybe too hard to tell but is there any noticeable indent where the discolouration is you can feel with your nail or a pin head or something?
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by zobster » 01 Sep 2015, 5:08 pm

Hatter wrote:Man that's tiny. Stress less :lol:

Seriously though, is it just stained or is there pitting? I know it's tiny and maybe too hard to tell but is there any noticeable indent where the discolouration is you can feel with your nail or a pin head or something?

Honesty I'm not quite sure, could you tell me what to do in both instances? I'll open the safe later and try to tell if it's pitted with a sewing needle.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bourt » 08 Sep 2015, 11:18 am

That's very light mate which is good.

I suspect you'll be able to get it off. Instead of oil try some apple cider vinegar with some fine steel wool.

For light rust you should find vinegar will dissolve the rust better than oil. Do use apple cider not, not regular white. I've found that to be best.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zobster » 08 Sep 2015, 2:20 pm

It came off with a brounox and steel wool, I was lucky, its just on the surface. I took a sewing needle and check, no pitting!! Yeh!

Will vinegar remove the stain?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by heron » 10 Sep 2015, 2:29 pm

Acetic acid (which is pretty much all vinegar is made of) will remove rust.

Try it definitely, it won't hurt anything so you've nothing to lose.

There is water in vinegar too, so make sure you dry and oil afterwards as always :)
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2015, 8:11 pm

Learn not to handle the metalwork when putting em back in the safe, so many people fall for the SS is less maintenance thing, they usually work it out when they find the same issues as you.

Give em all a good wipe over with oil is the best way to prevent this and remember don't go putting your salty fingers all over the metalwork!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Berper » 11 Sep 2015, 1:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:so many people fall for the SS is less maintenance thing

Yeah, too many forum ninjas telling new shooters they don't need cleaning. Corrosion will be slower and less of it but you have to do the same routine just as often to stop it creeping in.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 11 Sep 2015, 6:50 pm

I might be a bit late on this but try rubbing that stain with one of those green scouring pads with Inox sprayed on it, should remove the stain without leaving a highly polished finish, worked with stainless for over 20yrs and that's how I remove small marks/stains. Wipe your gun down with whatever oil you choose before storing as the grade of S/S used in firearms will rust without maintenance, it is a different grade to your 316 ( usually referred to as food, hospital, marine grade ) or 304 which is more common :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 15 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

Strikey wrote:should remove the stain without leaving a highly polished finish

A mate recently made that mistake I know, he used 1200 grit sand paper and ended up with a matte tube with about a 1" spot which is mirror finish :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Sep 2015, 11:15 am

I think Brass Wool is the go from what I've read.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by beerd » 17 Sep 2015, 11:30 am

I don't know if it's steel or brass but I got some of the 'gentle' cookware steel wool looking scouring pads.

Takes more elbow grease as it's gentle but gets there eventually without any wear to the steel.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Sep 2015, 6:45 pm

Have a look on youtube a guy was cleaning a badly rusted shotty with a copper coin and oil and it looked to work.
All stainless steel will rust to some degree it still has steel in it and is magnetic so that will rust, the other thing that will cause rust on any steel real quick is the gas in a aerosol spray if you don't remove it all and reoil
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 19 Sep 2015, 10:09 pm

pomemax wrote:Have a look on youtube a guy was cleaning a badly rusted shotty with a copper coin and oil and it looked to work.
All stainless steel will rust to some degree it still has steel in it and is magnetic so that will rust, the other thing that will cause rust on any steel real quick is the gas in a aerosol spray if you don't remove it all and reoil

Yeah, you're onto it, :allegedly:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmjer » 22 Sep 2015, 9:19 am

pomemax wrote:All stainless steel will rust to some degree it still has steel in it

Stainless steel has steel in it? You don't say :lol: :friends: Jokes :D

Stainless I thought was actually made to rust my design if that's the right term. Mild steel will eventually rust/rot away to nothing where stainless develops an ultra thin oxide film which seals the surface.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing