States legal for barrel length reduction?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

States legal for barrel length reduction?

Post by WildHunter » 03 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

As mentioned in an earlier post, I recently found out it's illegal to have your 24 inch barrel cut down to 18.
My 20 inch barrel sustained some damage, after taking it to the gunsmith to get the damage cut off I was informed it is illegal for him to remove length and that I can be in possession of a bought 18inch but in Victoria barrel lengths are part of the registry so he can't cut one down to 18 inch. I should approach LRD to see if they can facilitate it. Pretty much they were like yeah nah. It apparently 'completely changes' the gun. I was told I'll get in trouble if I go interstate and get it done once I enter Victoria. illegal immigrant gun haha. They treated me like I was retarded. I said so I can sell to someone interstate who can get it done? That's when they told me if I get it done interstate - I'm like whut? I said I'd sell it. Then "yeah have to sell it through a victoiran dealer otherwise when the DFO come to do an inspection and it's not there you'll get in trouble". Holy s**t, I own 11 firearms how retarded does this guy think I am?

Anyway any idea on which states it's legal in? Gotta know where to advertise. May just have to cut my losses and sell it to a firearm shop for s**t and they can repair and profit.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: States legal for barrel length reduction?

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Sep 2015, 10:58 am

Go to another smith....

I understand a smith 'can' reduce provided the overall length stays greater than the 75cm limit...
The barrel can not be reduced, according to the FA Act to less then 50cm, so assuming yours is 20inch(=50.8cm), you are allowed to cut 8mm off, but if you over do it and take 9mm off the end (without going less than 75cmoverall length) you could see UP TO 4 years in the klink or be fined up to 36,000 dollars!!!

Welcome to Aussie firearms legislation .

btw, I dont think barrel length is noted on the registration......doesnt appear on rego papers anyway
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by trekin » 03 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

Advertise it in QLD, the only consideration up here is that the overall length is greater than 75 cm, and even then if it gets cut shorter, it then only needs to be re-registered as a Cat H.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 08 Sep 2015, 11:01 am

Time to take your money somewhere else mate, give it to a smith who wants it.

I don't have every states firearm act in front of me to tell you word for word, but I can tell you this.

From everything I've read on it here and there it's legal in all states to shorten a barrel with reason. e.g. if a crown is damaged the way to fix it would lop the barrel and re-crown it, shortening it in the process.

I can't remember the conditions for each state but for some it can just be done, some has to be done by a smith and updated with the registry. And there are minimum lengths to stay above of course/ In either case it's doable though. Approach some other gunsmiths.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2015, 11:45 am

FYI

Tas is overall 75cm (29.53") and min barrel length of 16" (40.64cm).

Check Tas regs... don't just rely on info from some loser in Tas. :ugeek: :lol: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by heron » 10 Sep 2015, 2:18 pm

Sounds like gunsmith has NFI.

People get barrels re-crowned all the time.
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by WildHunter » 10 Sep 2015, 10:16 pm

Wasn't only the Gun Smith, Licencing Regulation Division were pretty stern on me not getting it done. Smith wouldn't do it without a letter from LRD advising him permission is granted to do it. LRD wouldn't allow it, they kept telling me to just hand the firearm in and get it destroyed. Vic is so s**t
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Sep 2015, 8:52 am

WildHunter wrote:Wasn't only the Gun Smith, Licencing Regulation Division were pretty stern on me not getting it done. Smith wouldn't do it without a letter from LRD advising him permission is granted to do it. LRD wouldn't allow it, they kept telling me to just hand the firearm in and get it destroyed. Vic is so s**t

The law relating to overall length / barrel length are just wrong; the overall length, right, fair enough, they reckon all lawful owners will go postal by sneaking a rifle into a place of business under the overcoat if its shorter than the 75cm limit.....

But provided the overall length satisfies the minimum then the barrel length is irrelevant.

This should be 'adjusted' by our legislators by removing the barrel reference when you can purchase any barrel length off the shelf, with numerous commercial rifles under the tipping point of criminality (20 inches) :roll: how many 18inch rifles available, even down to 16inch!!! yet the OP cant take more than 8mm off the end without breaking the law....

Note going less than 75cm changes the category, AFAIA to cat E....

As far as the response of the LRD, thats pure crap if their response was bad luck hand it in.... I would suggest an email or maybe a call is better - to our SFP reps, they'll probably even question the Minister of Pol in parliament and the Handy-sard..."This is how helpful your staff are and how ridiculous some (most?) sections of the FA are.....
:thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bark » 11 Sep 2015, 11:14 am

Are there some sold that are under?

The Scout I know has a 16.1" barrel and OAL is 94cm.

Can't think of anything shorter off the top of my head :unknown:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Sep 2015, 12:22 pm

Bark wrote:Are there some sold that are under?

If under 75cm it would not be sold as cat A or B.....
Rossi 92 available here in 16inch barrel, length about 85cm....thats very short for a rifle!!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by VICHunter » 15 Sep 2015, 3:48 pm

"Savage Rascal"

What a name :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Sep 2015, 5:30 pm

bentaz wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Bark wrote:Are there some sold that are under?

If under 75cm it would not be sold as cat A or B.....
Rossi 92 available here in 16inch barrel, length about 85cm....thats very short for a rifle!!

Savage rascal is only 77cm overall with a 16.1 barrel.

77cm..... cutting it close, probably need an extra thick recoil pad to make it 'legal'...... and of course to tame the recoil of the the thunderous rimfire.... ;)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Antie » 16 Sep 2015, 10:13 am

Thunderous rimfire :lol: :lol: :lol:
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by veep » 12 Oct 2015, 9:08 am

You might have to stick an old bumper cars rubber bumper in there :lol:
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 16 Aug 2022, 1:45 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but just thought I'd put this here in case anyone in future was pondering the same question.
Just got off the phone with firearm services here in TAS, according to them barrel length doesn't come into play.
Only requirement is a rifle has to be over 650mm/65cm total length otherwise its considered a pistol (cat h).

Hope this helps.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: States legal for barrel length re0duction?

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Aug 2022, 7:00 pm

I was also just looking into this, I'm considering butchering a .22 Lithgow single shot down to minimum length.

South Australia
Rimfire
Minimum overall length 750 mm
Minimum barrel length 400 mm
Screenshot_20220816-181641_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220816-181641_Gallery.jpg (274.81 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 16 Aug 2022, 7:46 pm

Yep did with a BSA sportsman 12 24 years ago for my son it was a hoot to shoot for man or boy it just sat on the dash when spot lighting .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Aug 2022, 10:02 pm

In Victoria,you can't reduce a rifle below a minimum barrel length of 500mm, in conjunction with 750mm overall. The Act further defines a handgun as being no longer than 650mm which gives a 100mm difference for those few factory made short barrel rifles to exist within the Act. The Act does not specify who can do the work, at all!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing