Rubbing rifle with oil

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rubbing rifle with oil

Post by juststarting » 07 Sep 2015, 11:35 pm

On the back of How Do You Apply Solvent To Your Bore? (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4919&p=72796#p72796) I thought I would ask about applying something to the outside of the rifle (metal, not stock).

A lot of US videos on YouTube - people use silicon cloth. A shotgun cleaning video I watched - a guy sprayed some oil on a rag (tiny bit) and rubbed anything metal on the outside of the rifle with it...

I assume this is a barrier to prevent rust, but I haven't really seen or heard anyone do this, other than some YouTube videos.

Thoughts? Experience? Do you do something like this?

p.s.
I said rifle, not barrel! Stop ya giggling. :P
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Rubbing rifle with oil

Post by Varmtr » 08 Sep 2015, 12:23 am

Yep some light oil on a rag then wipe over the metal does help prevent corrosion. Its a good thing to do.
For years now if shooting in the rain before we head out we wiped down the rifles with a oily rag for a bit of protection and underneath the barrel in the channel. WD40 works but does eventually evaporate away, so thats why I use some Inox or gun oil, singer machine oil etc.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Sep 2015, 1:20 am

You're spot on, it's to prevent corrosion.

You'll find different people use different products, but you'll find general consensus that everyone should use something, whether it's oil, inox, etc
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Sep 2015, 1:24 am

oh, just on a side note, when you first bring your rifle home and are told to clean it, and when you do, you find it dirty? that's put in there at the factory for the same reason
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 Sep 2015, 4:01 am

I got a cloth with one of my cleaning kits years ago and I've always kept it clean for wiping down the outside. It was impregnated with some kind of oil when I got it but now when it starts to dry out I just put a few drops of oil on and massage it around. Always the last step before storage for all my guns is a wipe down with that cloth.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 08 Sep 2015, 7:23 am

I usually use a shaving cream brush with a few drops of hoppes oil or whatevers around/equivilent at the time
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by aaronjo » 08 Sep 2015, 9:46 am

What about the inside of the barrel? I've heard some ppl say yes and some no.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Sep 2015, 10:16 am

I use Lanox on the bore and all other metal parts.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 08 Sep 2015, 10:22 am

Only if the bore isn't fouled/just cleaned will i put a wet patch of oil down it ( 22lr )
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by zobster » 08 Sep 2015, 11:17 am

I use a bore snake for cleaning so that takes care of the inside oiling. Outside, there's a old cotton t-shirt that I've used since day 1 of owning my guns, that thing constantly gets a good squirt of brunox and then I'll whip every single cm of external surface including the wood.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by GLS_1956 » 08 Sep 2015, 1:26 pm

I do that almost every time I handle a firearm. I do use a silicone cloth now, but it's something my dad taught me to do well over 50 years ago.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 Sep 2015, 1:59 pm

aaronjo wrote:What about the inside of the barrel? I've heard some ppl say yes and some no.

After cleaning a pass a lightly oiled patch down the barrel. Then before next time shooting dry patch it out
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 09 Sep 2015, 10:12 am

Absolutely... helps the rifle relax and get in the mood....... :thumbsup: :lol: :geek:

More seriously. Every so often i'll wipe them down with a light oiling. After a wet session, i'll take the metal out of the stock, dry everything thoroughly and the wipe it all over as above.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by YoungBuck » 09 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

Gwion wrote:More seriously. Every so often i'll wipe them down with a light oiling. After a wet session, i'll take the metal out of the stock, dry everything thoroughly and the wipe it all over as above.

Exactly what I do now. Learned my lesson after getting light surface rust over most of the barrel of my Mark ii after I went out during a light drizzle. Detach the stock and wipe all over with light machine oil with rag/strong paper towel (aldi blue stuff).
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 09 Sep 2015, 8:26 pm

I use Lanox exclusively.

A thorough spray of shotgun barrels and a cloth / brush combination on all other metal parts.
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 09 Sep 2015, 8:56 pm

Avoid WD40, it is hydroscopic.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 10 Sep 2015, 12:33 am

Very informative. Thanks all.

Re silicon rag - silicon smells. I actually got a silicon rag thrown in when I bought something or other... But I couldn't smell anything on it. However, I also noticed (YouTube), some people take a can of silicon and lightly spray it in a zip lock bag with the cloth, to refresh it in a way, I guess. Makes sense, but I am also thinking, if you go hunting, then dong this is probably going to act as a huge animal deterrent from a mile way.

Thoughts?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 10 Sep 2015, 2:08 am

If you do it right a Genie will pop out :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Prettybird » 10 Sep 2015, 11:17 am

Title_II wrote:If you do it right a Genie will pop out :)

Yeah but then you just end up wishing for more guns, then you have to clean them, then there is another genie and more guns....

It's a vicious cycle :lol:
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing