Blueing a barrel rifling and all

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Blueing a barrel rifling and all

Post by meek » 29 Oct 2013, 7:50 am

Hi guys.

New recruit here :)

I have an old barrel I'd like to reblue.

Can anyone tell me, is there any problem if I just submerged the entire barrel, rifling and all in the solution?

I know some people plug the ends, but why not just do the lot?

Thanks
Meek
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Blueing a barrel rifling and all

Post by Monty » 29 Oct 2013, 10:59 am

meek wrote:I know some people plug the ends, but why not just do the lot?

A few things...

1. Strictly speaking it bluing does add thickness to whatever you're bluing. I think it's something like a half of one thousandth of an inch... couldn't say if that has any appreciable impact or raises any safety issues due to reducing the internal diameter of the barrel, but there it is.

2. The internal of your barrel won't blu well anyway. Between any residual copper/carbon fouling it just won't take.

Basically it serves no purpose, and you're just adding something that the internal of your barrel doesn't need.

As you asking to achieve something specific? Or just skipping the work of plugging the throat/muzzle?
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 29 Oct 2013, 12:15 pm

At best the blue would just be shot out as soon as you use it. Worse it could cause some unusual wear though and give you problems?

Best leave the inside of your barrel untouched IMO.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by lole » 29 Oct 2013, 5:00 pm

Monty wrote:Or just skipping the work of plugging the throat/muzzle?

Sounds like lazy bluing to me ;)
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Antie » 29 Oct 2013, 5:46 pm

Monty wrote:1. Strictly speaking it bluing does add thickness to whatever you're bluing. I think it's something like a half of one thousandth of an inch... couldn't say if that has any appreciable impact or raises any safety issues due to reducing the internal diameter of the barrel, but there it is.

Potential to jam a bullet you reckon?
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Monty » 29 Oct 2013, 6:15 pm

I couldn't say. Either way, it's not something I'd be keen to put to the test.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing