Getting a new barrel for Howa 1500 22/250

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Getting a new barrel for Howa 1500 22/250

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Sep 2015, 7:46 pm

I'm just doing a bit of forward thinking here.
My Stainless Heavy Barrel HOWA 1500 in 22/250 is starting to get up there in the number of rounds put through it.

What are the views of those with experience,,,

Buy a complete new rifle ?

Get a new barrel fitted ?

How does the cost weigh up between the two possibilities ?

:friends:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Getting a new barrel ?

Post by Gwion » 15 Sep 2015, 8:22 pm

Just got my shoes rebarrelled. Cost me about the same as buying a new Howa but I have a match grade barrel and the smith tried up the action a bit. Haven't developed a good load yet but for me the new barrel was a good thing.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bourt » 17 Sep 2015, 10:41 am

How's the rest of the rifles condition?

True you can get it re-barrelled for less than the cost of a new rifle, other school of thought is if you bought a new rifle and sold the old one you'd probably be in about the same position financially but have a brand new rifle for your efforts.

If the rest of the rifle is pristine maybe rebarrel, if you'd enjoy a new one do that?

Just cost you the time in selling the old one.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Carter » 17 Sep 2015, 1:32 pm

Have you got a quote on rebarreling yet? You might be in for a shock....

The only place near me that does it is $375 plus the barrel. Not worth doing with them for the cost of a Howa.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Sep 2015, 2:44 pm

Bourt,,,,,, and Carter,,,,,,,,,,,

Killing two birds with one stone,,,,,,,,,,

1) The whole outfit (as I type) is in pristine condition mate,,, just forward thinking at the moment, cos the round count is increasing.

2) No, I haven't had a quote, and considering the overall condition I'll pass on the thought of selling it. :D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 23 Sep 2015, 10:03 am

If the rest of it is mint and you have a soft spot for it re-barrel.

Buying a new one isn't always the same as having "your" one ;)
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 25 Sep 2015, 11:49 pm

First how's it shooting at the moment if it still good leave it alone.
What weight bullets you planing to run as the weight 90% of the time determines the length of the bullet thus twist rate required.
What length barrel and what profile
The last barrel I got was for my ol mans Norinco to be chambered in 20 PPC, S/S, 26" fluted rem varmint profile 1:10 from TSE. The cost was for memory around $600 and thats not including it being fitted.
I'm at the moment looking at a Bartlien barrel for my Winchester P14 just the barrel is around $650 - $680 and still needs to be chambered and fitted so the cost can quickly add up.

If you have a soft spot for it while the barrel is off you can also get the action trued as well but again $$$ are adding up.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Sep 2015, 12:39 am

In WA its an easy choice. Replace the rifle means relicensing, justifying it to Wapol, new property letters plus the licensing fees (about $180 atm) so almost always cheaper and easier to rebarrel
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 26 Sep 2015, 3:09 pm

oh, it gets better. I want to co-license my rifles to the old man (so that we can share a safe and convert his to another ammo safe, as well as the fact that he has use for my rifles and loves my .223) but to do so, I have to fill out forms giving him permission, he has to justify each rifle again (property letters), we have to have gunsmiths complete new servicability certificates for each rifle, then send in his application along with the $180 fee.We're intending on getting him a new .22 in about 6 months time, so we're just going to do it all at once to try save on licensing fees.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Varmtr » 27 Sep 2015, 1:49 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:oh, it gets better. I want to co-license my rifles to the old man (so that we can share a safe and convert his to another ammo safe, as well as the fact that he has use for my rifles and loves my .223) but to do so, I have to fill out forms giving him permission, he has to justify each rifle again (property letters), we have to have gunsmiths complete new servicability certificates for each rifle, then send in his application along with the $180 fee.We're intending on getting him a new .22 in about 6 months time, so we're just going to do it all at once to try save on licensing fees.

God :shock: what a pita
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 01 Oct 2015, 10:54 am

co-license?

What a joke.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Getting a new barrel for Howa 1500 22/250

Post by bones-350 » 03 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

Just seen this old post. I have a howa 22,250 sporter 22" with about 300 rounds. 300 cases sonic cleaned and tumbled Lee dies and a Forster seating die for sale.If you are still interested.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Getting a new barrel for Howa 1500 22/250

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Aug 2019, 9:23 pm

You might have missed your opportunity there.

What is a secondhand Howa worth?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing