Reaming a chamber?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Reaming a chamber?

Post by andym79 » 24 Oct 2015, 6:34 pm

Hi guys, just a quick question can you ream a chamber with just a finishing reamer or is a roughing reamer absolutely necessary?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Reaming a chamber?

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Oct 2015, 6:43 pm

roughing reamer is used if you're reaming multiple chambers... to save the wear on the finisher;

Finisher can be used if reaming few chambers

whatcha reaming?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by andym79 » 24 Oct 2015, 7:28 pm

I am considering cutting a 25-35 chamber into a .257 barrel blank! So for one chamber so long as its not pushed it should be fine.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 26 Oct 2015, 2:58 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:roughing reamer is used if you're reaming multiple chambers... to save the wear on the finisher;

Yep, this.

I've read a bit of marketing stuff from places they make them and they say the roughing ones last 4-5 times as long as the finishers so saves you replacement $$$ if you're doing many chambers.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 28 Oct 2015, 1:10 pm

Not economically sensible for DIY quantities looking at the reamer prices.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 30 Oct 2015, 8:46 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:roughing reamer is used if you're reaming multiple chambers... to save the wear on the finisher;

whatcha reaming?

Yeah what's the project. Pics :D
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by tucked » 02 Nov 2015, 9:51 am

Wes wrote:Not economically sensible for DIY quantities looking at the reamer prices.

Cool part of a build to be able to say you did yourself though. Really getting into the inner workings of it.
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Spooner » 04 Nov 2015, 8:32 am

tucked wrote:Cool part of a build to be able to say you did yourself though. Really getting into the inner workings of it.

It would be great to be able to say you built the whole thing start to finish instead of just sticking bits together :)
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Varmtr » 05 Nov 2015, 7:36 pm

For a one off or if just doing a couple of chambers a finisher is all you need. But also depends on the smith as well on how hard he pushes the reamer and needs to use plenty of cutting fluid.

Eg my 6.5 epps reamer I'm getting from Manson is a finisher as it will be doing only my chamber. But if others are interested in this wildcat it could be used for a few more.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Nov 2015, 12:39 am

6.5 epps is actually a round that really interests me. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to build one (or the right state), but I'd love to hear how it goes. Make sure you keep us up to date
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Will » 09 Nov 2015, 9:47 am

Wes wrote:Not economically sensible for DIY quantities looking at the reamer prices.

Could be first step in setting up your gunsmithing workshop ;)
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing