Refurbishing timber stock of Sportco 33S .222 Rem

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Refurbishing timber stock of Sportco 33S .222 Rem

Post by dazey » 20 Nov 2015, 11:35 pm

OODAH wrote:I hope you post more pics I'm excited to see how it comes up.

I'll be sure to put up some images once done - I am waiting for an order of the Tru-Oil "kit" to arrive.

I will also try and remember to take some pics during the process.

Regards,
Dazey

PS. I had known about the danger of rags soaked with linseed oil - you have the same danger with tung oil (china nut oil), and probably any other "drying" oil.

PPS. I hadn't used the rifle, so I took it to the range yesterday before dismantling it. It was fun to shoot, although by the time I got to the 200m target, the barrel was getting pretty warm. I think the trigger pull has been adjusted at some point - it seemed on the light side.
CZ452 American .22LR
Brno Model 2 .22LR
Sportco 33S .222 Rem

More to come soon hopefully...
dazey
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Nov 2015, 8:53 pm

Chickenhawk wrote:Happened at your place OB?

At work.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 24 Nov 2015, 12:16 pm

At least you can blame the apprentice there then :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 11 Dec 2015, 7:53 am

Die Judicii wrote:While on the subject, I have a question that's related,
Can any-one tell me about "pure boiled linseed oil"

If I were to get "natural linseed oil" and boiled the bejeez out of it, then allow it to cool and syphon off,,,,,,, would that work ?

Or isn't it that simple ?

:unknown: :unknown:
I used diggers pale boiled linseed oil on a mark X and it came up a treat. I would discourage using strippers and would just sand it back. I sanded my rifle back it had a PU coating and I had to use oven cleaner to clean the stuff out of the checkering and it soaked into the timber and the checkering is now substantially darker than the rest of the stock. I did numerous coats of boiled linseed oil and didn't use a sealant on top as I figure I can oil it as I please anytime it needs it and give it a light sand and re oil to cover any dings it might get during use. Just my opinion. If you look in the thread in this section called my new toy show us yours. You'll see pictures of my rifle as a hard coated timber and bit further on as a refinished rifle
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 16 Dec 2015, 2:07 pm

Of course it would have been evenly coloured if you'd used the cleaner all over and not just in the chequering.

I dunno about not using one, but definitely something to be consistent with if you do.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing