Rem 700 trigger (HELP)

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rem 700 trigger (HELP)

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Dec 2015, 8:02 pm

Hey Guys,, I have a friend with a Rem mod 700 bolt action.
The trigger desperately needs lightening,, but I know there are different versions with different methods.
This one is approx 10 year old, and has one negative head screw at the rear of said trigger, and two negative head screws (with lok tite) at the front of the trigger.
I'm guessing its one of the front two,,,, but which one :unknown: :unknown:

Anyone know for sure ???
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Rem 700 trigger (HELP)

Post by Baldrick314 » 04 Dec 2015, 9:48 pm

Is the front of the trigger (where you rest your finger) thick with lines carved in it or thin and smooth?

If it's the former, which I'm pretty sure it is, this is the instructions I used to fix mine:

http://quarterbore.com/library/articles ... igger.html
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Dec 2015, 6:55 am

Is it a x mark pro trigger or an earlier Walker trigger?

He's playing with fire if it's the Walker.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2015, 8:17 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Is it a x mark pro trigger or an earlier Walker trigger?

What's wrong with the Walker? Do you mean in terms of adjusting it or just in general?
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Dec 2015, 8:59 am

Isn't there a recoil on Rem 700 rifles re faulty triggers on at the moment?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2015, 11:49 am

RoginaJack wrote:Isn't there a recoil on Rem 700 rifles re faulty triggers on at the moment?

That's for the X Mark Pro triggers. Apparently it's only affected in extreme cold temperatures
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by valkyrie » 05 Dec 2015, 1:58 pm

Ive got a newer xmark pro trigger in mine and i can safely say its the best trigger ive ever used. Light crisp break no creep only have to think it and it goes off. The main issue with them is some go off when the gun is bumped due to poor sear engagement. If you do lighten your trigger id recommend doing some drop tests to make sure its still safe. Get a bit of hard rubber so you dont damage your gun, then cock it (unloaded of course) and drop the butt of the gun onto the rubber from about a foot. Do it a few times just to be sure. If the firing pin drops then its not safe if not your good.
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Dec 2015, 3:20 pm

Thanks Baldrick,,,, you got it right :thumbsup: it is the one with the grooves/ridges in the finger pad.

Thanks to all you other guys for input.
When we adjust it, we'll drop test it as well just to make extra sure.
We wont be going too light anyway (approx 1 1/2 to 2lb should be fine.
Its just on 3 1/2 lb at the moment. :thumbsdown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Dec 2015, 3:49 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Is it a x mark pro trigger or an earlier Walker trigger?

What's wrong with the Walker? Do you mean in terms of adjusting it or just in general?

The early walker trigger was subject to a massive recall of millions of rifles due to it's malfunction causing it to unexpectedly fire. The X mark pro was the fix.

Once lightened the Walker trigger is much more likely to suffer from this paticular malfunction.

Iv had a walker trigger malfunction 3 times , once when realising the safety, once when closing bolt and once while lining up a shot with my trigger finger off the trigger ... scary stuff having your rifle discharge when you least expect it , thank goodness it was pointing in a safe direction each time.

My walker trigger was set to 1 1/2 LB and passed the bump test.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 05 Dec 2015, 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Dec 2015, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info mate, I wasn't aware of that. I had no issues with mine after adjusting it, must have got lucky.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 05 Dec 2015, 10:51 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Isn't there a recoil on Rem 700 rifles re faulty triggers on at the moment?

thats only if ya silly enough to put the bolt handle down
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Dec 2015, 11:02 pm

deye243 wrote:

hey ? she won't fire if it's up ... :unknown:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2015, 2:16 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
deye243 wrote:

hey ? she won't fire if it's up ... :unknown:

exactly my point and the reason my rifles don't have a so called safety the bolts not down until ready to fire
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Dec 2015, 5:17 am

there's now way that that method could have prevented any of my unintentional discharges .... on all 3 occasions I was ready to take a shot.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Dec 2015, 4:25 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:there's now way that that method could have prevented any of my unintentional discharges .... on all 3 occasions I was ready to take a shot.

Thanks for the xtra and timely warning there fellah,, Theres no 2nd chance once that round is on its way out the spout.

I looked at my mates trigger after I got it to 1 1/2 lb, but couldnt see any brand name on it.
Is there any distinguishing marks,, numbers,, etc on the "Walker" ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Dec 2015, 6:59 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:there's now way that that method could have prevented any of my unintentional discharges .... on all 3 occasions I was ready to take a shot.

Thanks for the xtra and timely warning there fellah,, Theres no 2nd chance once that round is on its way out the spout.

I looked at my mates trigger after I got it to 1 1/2 lb, but couldnt see any brand name on it.
Is there any distinguishing marks,, numbers,, etc on the "Walker" ?

To be honest I couldn't identify one or the other without doing some research. ... I'll see what I can find on the net and pin it here shortly , for now I've found this in a news article about the Walker trigger

It is called a “trigger connector,” and it is an integral part of the firing mechanism patented by Remington engineer Merle “Mike” Walker in 1950. The so-called “Walker trigger” was a breakthrough in firearm design, allowing the smooth, crisp action favored by expert shooters at an affordable price.

The connector is mounted on a spring inside the firing mechanism, sitting between the trigger and the sear—the metal bar that holds back the firing pin. According to Walker’s patent, the connector not only smoothes the action of the trigger, but also eliminates “trigger slap,” where the trigger bounces back slightly after the gun is fired.

To this day, Walker calls his invention “a perfect trigger.” But multiple lawsuits against Remington allege the design is flawed. They claim small amounts of rust, debris, or even a small jolt can push the connector out of alignment, separating the trigger itself from the rest of the firing mechanism. Then, the complaints allege, the gun can go off when other parts are operated, such as the safety or the bolt.

See the full news article here.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/39743024

I found this on another forum

The WALKER has 3 adjustment screws which are covered by sealant . The X MARK PRO has only one adjustment for pull weight , although it has false cap head you can put an allen key into , but will not turn . You will only know for sure by taking it out of the stock . Be prepared to torque the stock correctly if you do take the action out .

on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 06 Dec 2015, 11:09 pm

the walker is black and the xmark is silver
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 07 Dec 2015, 1:25 pm

deye243 wrote:exactly my point and the reason my rifles don't have a so called safety the bolts not down until ready to fire

Agreed.

An open bolt is the real safety.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Dec 2015, 12:22 am

And an empty chamber is safer still. A rifle dropped in just the wrong way could bring the bolt down and jolt the trigger or sear. Very unlikely, but I'll just go with the empty chamber.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 08 Dec 2015, 12:51 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Once lightened the Walker trigger is much more likely to suffer from this paticular malfunction.

Iv had a walker trigger malfunction 3 times , once when realising the safety, once when closing bolt and once while lining up a shot with my trigger finger off the trigger ... scary stuff having your rifle discharge when you least expect it , thank goodness it was pointing in a safe direction each time.

My walker trigger was set to 1 1/2 LB and passed the bump test.

Not a malfunction in this case, but I had a similar experience when I was adjusting the trigger on my Anschütz.

Got it so it had a super crisp break but I'd obviously gone too far in the initial adjustment. I had it fire once by thumping it around a bit trying to get it to go, so no surprise there, but had it fire once on closing the bolt too.

Easy to fix but a bit of a "ooow, crap" moment when it goes on you.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing