Brass stuck in chamber after firing

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Brass stuck in chamber after firing

Post by tom604 » 12 Mar 2017, 6:14 pm

you have to force,,or at least use more force,, to get the bolt home,,,,but only after 300+ rounds,,,,only used a bore snake, so while your bore was cleanish,, your chamber was most likely dirty,,,most rifles today have clearance to accept most if not all store bought ammo ( don't want to get sued) but if you have crud in your chamber the shoulders of your bullet may be getting squeezed as you load and then when you fire it will expand more so that it will be jamming up so that you cant eject. just my 2 cents :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 12 Mar 2017, 9:25 pm

Another possibility is a week extractor spring. These are often tiny little things and if it's lost its tension through use or age, the extractor hook wont grip the rim/groove tight enough and with any further resistance (for example, a slightly dirty chamber) the case will be left in the behind as the bolt is worked.
Personal experience of this and still cant find a new extractor spring for my old Tikka M55 .222
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 14 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

Zombie thread - the posts were from January 2016. Just saying.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 14 Mar 2017, 8:05 pm

Sounds like a rough chamber....or a chamber problem of sorts especially with new factory ammo. Try another brand of ammo and if that fails and the problem still exists I'd be taking it to a gun smith for,review. Either way it's not a biggy, just a pain in the buttocks.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2017, 8:29 pm

I think zobster died of old age 12 months ago.

:lol: :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing