Zastava M85 223rem Feed Issues

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Zastava M85 223rem Feed Issues

Post by Gwion » 11 Jan 2016, 8:12 am

Hoping someone can help here.

I am having issues with my Zasty when it comes to loading/feeding from the internal mag. At first i thought it was my seating depth causing rounds to bind in the mag, as i had loaded to absolute max length with only about 5thou clearance of the mag walls. However, i have loaded some with a heap of clearance and am still having issues. At some point, the follower or rounds are binding in the mag and preventing rounds being fed up, or in some cases the rounds are even failing to lock into place and sit loose in the mag.

Any tips, thoughts or fixes from anyone who has had a similar issue???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: Zastava M85 223rem Feed Issues

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Jan 2016, 9:12 am

So the follower is binding??
If you depress the follower with your finger, does it not move freely?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 11 Jan 2016, 10:22 am

Checked that. Was a little grabby but after a little lube and bending the spring out a bit, it runs smoothly in the mag.

Maybe it's still a bit tight when loaded. A few light strokes with a file and honing smooth might be in order???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Jan 2016, 10:58 am

Given that its a staggered mag/follower, it might be canting slightly and grabbing, even if its running 'true', a bit of polish wont hurt. Also check the spring is fitted properly - slid fully home into the slots under the follower. I'd be sparing with the lube in the mag, dont want it getting onto the rounds.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 11 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

I'll give it a bit of a working and let you know. Might have a point re: the canting follower.

I was very cautious with the lube. Just a little on, run the follower through the mag a few times and then wiped it off, so no excess. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Jan 2016, 2:40 pm

A bit of a polish seems to have helped. Ran some dummy rounds through a few times and no probs. we'll see next time I load live rounds.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wheedle » 13 Jan 2016, 2:02 pm

If the polish is what's keeping it going though that's going to be a short term fix every time it wears off.

A light rub with some fine lapping compound to take out the imperfections could be better for a permanent fix.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 13 Jan 2016, 2:40 pm

No worries. By a polish, i mean i took to it with a fine diamond hone; along the sides and leading edge of the follower. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tiiger » 18 Jan 2016, 11:26 am

That's what I thought you meant.

I didn't think you've have cracked out the kiwi black book and given it a rub :lol:
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Zastava M85 22 Hornet

Post by shipwright » 09 Mar 2016, 2:32 pm

Have a new .22 Hornet. works ok, surprisingly accurate, Problem is Trigger-creepy and heavy let off, any one have any experience adjusting Zasty trigger.?
have not had her out of the wood yet but am pretty sure barrel to wood is not floating, but am not keen to alter anything as it shoots pretty well.

Shipwright :)
shipwright
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 10 Mar 2016, 5:55 am

I have a set of instructions somewhere for the Zasty trigger adjustment. Give me a bit of time and I'll post them for you.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Mar 2016, 10:26 am

Tiiger wrote:I didn't think you've have cracked out the kiwi black book and given it a rub :lol:

That's supposed to be a good release compound for bedding, right?
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing