Newbie Howa 1500 Glass Bed. (Pics)

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Newbie Howa 1500 Glass Bed. (Pics)

Post by sarki » 16 Feb 2016, 1:34 pm

Top job Mallee
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 14 Apr 2016, 5:54 pm

Just finished bedding mine howa in a boyds laminate stock, my first go at bedding a stock.

Used P7 2 part epoxy from bunnings and kiwi neutral shoe polish as the release agent.

this epoxy seems pretty good, real thick and goopy cleans up with metho and cotton buds.

I pulled the action out of the stock at 9 hrs just cos I wanted to put the action back in the safe before heading to work this morning. Turned out alright only one air pocket, albeit a big one.

its at 24 hrs now and nice and hard, going to let it cure for 7 days before shooting it.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 14 Apr 2016, 6:32 pm

Looks pretty good, mate.

In pic number two, top side to the right you can see a knob of epoxy. You don't want that there! Take it off nice and smooth to flat surface on the right angle. I'd personally also take off that random bit in the last pic so that the rear tang sits flat with nothing to interfere with it during battery.

Also, don't forget to use a pointing file or such to relieve those seemingly minor daggy bits where the flats of the action and the barrel meet the recoil lug. The mag well might need a little shaving so that the internal mag doesn't foul and rub on it. If you want to get fussy, make the area supporting the knox form (where the bedding ends forward of the recoil lug) a straight line across (harmonics can be a bitch that way). That air bubble shouldn't create any issues.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scotty87 » 14 Apr 2016, 7:16 pm

gave it a bit of a trim, will have to file or dremmel the ridge or bits off, it trims up quite easy with a hobby scalpel blade.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 15 Apr 2016, 6:35 am

Looking better. I'd still bevel the corners where the recoil lug meets to about 1mm instead of a sharp corner. Also, be sure there is good clearance all around your action screws.

Sorry. Not nit-picking, just trying to help. Hate you to go to all that effort and then wonder why it isn't shooting as good as expected.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by scotty87 » 15 Apr 2016, 9:23 am

Gwion wrote:Looking better. I'd still bevel the corners where the recoil lug meets to about 1mm instead of a sharp corner. Also, be sure there is good clearance all around your action screws.

Sorry. Not nit-picking, just trying to help. Hate you to go to all that effort and then wonder why it isn't shooting as good as expected.

Cheers mate all tips are helpful, will help me to do a better job on my next one. Im going to spend some time on it this weekend, I didn't tape the recoil lug so I think your right that I should relieve there, I was too nervous to take away too much stock material.

Thinking I should have bedded a little further along the barrel channel too but it was still free floated when I test fit the barrelled action last night.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sender » 15 Apr 2016, 9:45 am

scotty87 wrote:Just finished bedding mine howa in a boyds laminate stock, my first go at bedding a stock.

Looks like it'll do the trick :thumbsup:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 17 Apr 2016, 3:28 pm

:thumbsup: :drinks:

All good.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supporter » 18 Apr 2016, 11:58 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:But it came apart with a slight firm tug.

Better than the freezer and hammer stories you read :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tony308 » 01 Jun 2016, 11:15 am

other than the bedding,how was the fit of the boyds stock?....looks like a boyds?
tony308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Kai » 02 Jun 2016, 9:13 am

I decided not to relieve the recoil lug on my howa 1500, it popped out fine, and shoots really good
Kai
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 02 Jun 2016, 9:54 am

tony308 wrote:other than the bedding,how was the fit of the boyds stock?....looks like a boyds?

Do you mean how was the standard boyds fit from the factory? It was a good fit but bedding made it better!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 02 Jun 2016, 10:05 am

tony308 wrote:other than the bedding,how was the fit of the boyds stock?....looks like a boyds?

As for overall fit, I added a pacymar slip on medium recoil pad (removed Boyd's pad) which has extended length of pull a little so I found I have to change my rings and bases, Leopold 2 piece remmington 700 bases + rings to a picatinny rail with weaver style rings to be able to mount the scope back far enough to get a comfortable eye relief
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 04 Jun 2016, 7:38 am

G'Day Fella's,

Mallee farmer, nice to see you have been having fun!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by chacka » 08 Jun 2016, 9:22 am

scotty87 wrote:As for overall fit, I added a pacymar slip on medium recoil pad (removed Boyd's pad) which has extended length of pull a little so I found I have to change my rings and bases, Leopold 2 piece remmington 700 bases + rings to a picatinny rail with weaver style rings to be able to mount the scope back far enough to get a comfortable eye relief

The after market pads are good but I hate the extra length they add.

NFI why the rifle makers haven't cottoned on to this yet and switched things around a little for thicker/better factory pads :unknown:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Gunsmithing