Does a 700 sendero need bedding

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Does a 700 sendero need bedding

Post by Boss4b » 02 Feb 2016, 2:32 pm

Hi I just got a new 700 sendero sf 2 and was wanting to know if it needs bedding or should it be fine without it cheers
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Dose a 700 sendero need bedding

Post by Gwion » 02 Feb 2016, 2:53 pm

Just my opinion but EVERYTHING needs bedding! ;)

Particularly anything that doesn't have an aluminium bedding block.

It depends on what your purpose and expectation for accuracy is, but a GOOD pillar & full-length bedding job cannot hurt; a bad one can, though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 02 Feb 2016, 4:57 pm

[.
Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Boss4b » 02 Feb 2016, 7:43 pm

I can't shoot it yet as the scope i want for it is over 2k witch I'm working on at the moment I know it has aluminium bedding already but I have heard of people glass bedding them as well but have also heard it's not needed so just wanting a few options
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 02 Feb 2016, 8:51 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 02 Feb 2016, 8:52 pm

As the others have said, if its already got alloy bedding blocks your fine to go shoot it out of the box, but along with other ' accurizing ' stuff it won't hurt if your chasing that last bit of accuracy
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2016, 9:18 pm

AusTac wrote:As the others have said, if its already got alloy bedding blocks your fine to go shoot it out of the box, but along with other ' accurizing ' stuff it won't hurt if your chasing that last bit of accuracy

Try it first, if it shoots well, don't bother. If it aint broke don't try and fix it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 02 Feb 2016, 10:32 pm

mine don't and it shoots reasonably good but mine came from the us market not through raytrade
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 03 Feb 2016, 9:08 am

Oldbloke wrote:
AusTac wrote:As the others have said, if its already got alloy bedding blocks your fine to go shoot it out of the box, but along with other ' accurizing ' stuff it won't hurt if your chasing that last bit of accuracy

Try it first, if it shoots well, don't bother. If it aint broke don't try and fix it.

^Please listen to the old bloke.

If it aint broke.

Built off their Model 700 cylindrical action, Sendero Rifles are the most accurate over-the-counter rifles Remington produces. Using input from shooters, Remington tuned these tackdrivers for consistent accuracy from any distance. The H.S. Precision stock is reinforced with aramid fibers and has a contoured beavertail forend and ambidextrous finger grooves and palm swell. Twin front swivel studs allow attachment of a bipod and sling. Full-length aluminum bedding blocks create an accuracy-enhancing stable platform for the barreled action. Fluted 26" heavy-contour barrel cools quickly while delivering the ultimate in long-range accuracy. Six longitudinal flutes reduce barrel weight. Concave target-style barrel crown. H.S. Precision aramid-fiber-reinforced stock and polished stainless steel barrel and receiver. Features Remington's SuperCell™ recoil pad and hinged floorplate. Adjustable X-Mark Pro™ trigger system factory set at 3-1/2 lbs.

You paid extra for a better quality, better stock, 'accurised' model Rem.... leave it be until you find a problem :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Boss4b » 03 Feb 2016, 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the input I'll wait for now and see how it go's
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 03 Feb 2016, 4:49 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by handofcod » 03 Feb 2016, 6:09 pm

I'm wondering, how does the sendero compare with the 5R milspec? Similar build quality?
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 04 Feb 2016, 5:39 am

You can take it out of the stock and see where the wear marks on the aluminium bedding block are if they have a full contact with the action probably not necessary to glass bed. But thanks to Gwion I just watched a video in which the bloke beds that exact rifle. It was only contacting on either side of the receiver and didn't have a full contact. I have been shooting for years and only just bedded my first 2 rifles so its entirely up to you. Unless you can outshoot your sendero it's probably not necessary.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Boss4b » 04 Feb 2016, 7:06 am

I probably should of said in the first post its chambered in 300 RUM
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 04 Feb 2016, 9:01 am

you da man. :thumbsup:
..The RUM is awesome, I've contemplated taking at least one of my 30cals to a RUM chamber...even for a second thought about buying an SPS just for the 300RUM.....

150gr@3500fps :)
50+ft.lb.f RECOIL!!! :thumbsup: (that 2 to 3 X 308win recoil!)
So I'm sure you cant wait to pull that trigger :thumbsup:

So I take it you'll load for it, factory ammo would be, what $60+ for a box?? probably closer to $100
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 04 Feb 2016, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Feb 2016, 11:12 am

ooohh... 300RUM... One of my "I want it just because" Cal's. pity I live in WA.

Just for curiosity's sake... this isn't your first rifle, is it? (I hope not. If so, the recoil may prove interesting for you)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Boss4b » 04 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm

Yeah can't wait to pick it up and shoot it you can get the long range in 300 RUM there about $1450 and yeah I will start loading it after 100 or so rounds as they start at around $85 a box though to $175 a box depending on power level and tip and I'm looking at getting one of the witt machine co bolt on muzzle brakes so I don't end up with a fractured shoulder and a leupold vx-3l 6.5x20x56 scope for it
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Boss4b » 04 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm

It will be my first high power rifle but I have shot my mates 338 wig mag a few times and is there any other reason for buying one
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Boss4b » 04 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm

Win mag stupid auto correct
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 04 Feb 2016, 11:32 pm

Boss4b wrote:Yeah can't wait to pick it up and shoot it you can get the long range in 300 RUM there about $1450 and yeah I will start loading it after 100 or so rounds as they start at around $85 a box though to $175 a box depending on power level and tip and I'm looking at getting one of the witt machine co bolt on muzzle brakes so I don't end up with a fractured shoulder and a leupold vx-3l 6.5x20x56 scope for it

i wouldn't not on a 300rum , get it threaded
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Feb 2016, 6:00 am

Boss4b wrote:It will be my first high power rifle but I have shot my mates 338 wig mag a few times and is there any other reason for buying one

What do you mean by high power, first centre fire??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Feb 2016, 9:56 am

I would like to try a CF magnum of some sort probably start with a .300wm so I don't hurt myself currently the biggest thing I've used is a .308
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

Honestly, I wouldn't see much advantage over a .300wm if you already have a .308. Yes, it's a step up, but not a very big one. I would look at a .338, or even .375, but be prepared to roll your own.
The .300rum would be a lot of fun, bit of a barrel burner,but if it's gonna be a just because rifle, why not? If you're looking for a big tool, then .338, but we have nothing that can't be taken with a .308. If you wanot a serious just because rifle, ask Brett about his .375, or perhaps even a .460. .50s might also be your thing...

On the other end of the spectrum, there can be pointless fun out of the super fast small rounds. 204 is fast but also really really practical, and you can move through to the .223wssm.

Just throwing some ideas out there
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

I don't want to own a .300wm just wanna shoot one see how I go. I've heard compared to a .308 they are just a lot more noise a lot more kick and a lot more money for a little bit of gain. Around here the biggest thing I'll have to shoot is a roo or goat maybe a pig so really my .308 is plenty "enough gun". I was thinking of going up north hunting for scrubbers and buff as I have a sister in Darwin and 3 sisters in cairns. But I was indeed thinking along the lines of .338wm or even more likely the 9.3x62. But I like the m70 super grade. Decisions decisions.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Feb 2016, 1:38 pm

9.3x62or perhaps a .45-70 could be fun but you'd need to get closer. Buff would also give you the option of .375h&h, but I still like the idea of the 9.3.
So many fun choices to be had when you put buff on the menu :)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Feb 2016, 3:11 pm

I don't know if I could handle the .375hh I recon I'd be a more lethal shot with the .338 of 9.3
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 06 Feb 2016, 4:11 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 06 Feb 2016, 5:42 pm

I did a fair bit of research on the .338fed when I had my Mauser rebarreled as a .308 and decided that their wasn't enough benefit for me to have the .338 and at the time I wasn't reloading so the flexibility of having ammo everywhere for the .308 was the clincher for me. I would like to shoot a .375hh but being from the mallee you're lucky to find someone with anything bigger than a .30 cal
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Boss4b » 06 Feb 2016, 6:52 pm

It will be my second centre fire rifle my 22-250 is my first
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Feb 2016, 9:41 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I don't want to own a .300wm just wanna shoot one see how I go. I've heard compared to a .308 they are just a lot more noise a lot more kick and a lot more money for a little bit of gain. Around here the biggest thing I'll have to shoot is a roo or goat maybe a pig so really my .308 is plenty "enough gun". I was thinking of going up north hunting for scrubbers and buff as I have a sister in Darwin and 3 sisters in cairns. But I was indeed thinking along the lines of .338wm or even more likely the 9.3x62. But I like the m70 super grade. Decisions decisions.

WINMAG is certainly a step up from the 308, you can always load down to 08 level, then load up and use heavier pills driven at reasonable speeds.... not really that much more expensive, just a few grains more of powder when loading yourself.... The recoil of the 308 is a respectable push, the winmag will be a very sharp recoil,and is brutal with a light rifle. The 375H&H doesnt seem as brutal as the winmag, but is a serious 'thump'...

If I was closer to your region, I'd give you a go of a few different examples.... :friends:

Dont worry about deciding between, its good to get one of each,$ permitting of course :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Next

Return to Gunsmithing