Torque Wrench for firearms work.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Torque Wrench for firearms work.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Feb 2016, 8:10 pm

What do you guys think about a 10-220 inch pound W&B deflecting beam torque wrench for base and scope ring mounting and action screws etc. accuracy is +/- 2% so it should be accurate enough.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Torque Wrench for firearms work.

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

Most torx screws and mounts need 17 - 25 inch/lbs.
So be carful.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 8:38 pm

The range is about normal although the tightest I torque anything to is 80" lbs which is the 4 bolts that hold the barrel into the DTA HTI but I use a preset Seekonk wrench for this. Smaller stuff I have a good quality bicycle torque wrench that runs from 11" lbs to 221" lbs which covers everything I need. Search "Bicycle torque wrench" on eBay, link below is the one I have which I purchased from a Cycling shop in the city for around $175. I like that it'll vibrate when close then beep when hitting the target. Can't always watch the tool when bolting things together.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-4-1-25-25Nm-Bicycle-Bike-Digital-Torque-Wrench-Repair-Tool-/161458952332?hash=item2597b4188c:g:r54AAOSwuAVWy9ps
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Feb 2016, 9:00 pm

That electronic bicycle wrench looks good. This is the one I'm considering mainly because of the accuracy of deflecting beam wrenches so in the lower range there is less chance of over torquing.
http://www.warrenandbrown.com.au/precis ... 3$OR$8/137
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 9:21 pm

Nice wrench and Australian made as a bonus :) Most of the bit's I use are 1/4" drive cause 15"-30" lbs isn't a strain amd 3/8" is a bit on the big side plus finding the small bits in 3/8" drive can be difficult. You could always use an adapter but 3/8" is like a shovel when you need a spoon. Kinchrome K5025 & K5225 are the 2 sets of bits I use cause some of the Barrett gear needs the longer bits.

The spare parts tab on the site lists the adapter as 390090 so get that as well and you're fully covered :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Feb 2016, 9:45 pm

Yea I was gonna buy the 1/4 inch version of the same wrench but I'm thinking of getting a good second hand one that a bloke bought just for rebuilding his motorbike and no longer needs. It's been tested against a brand newy and tested out perfect so I figured I could save some dough by going second hand plus I have a sidchrome 3/8 drive that is like New that I use for my crf450 but only goes as low as 4nm and I will be able to test it against that if I get it. Still not sure if it will be better to go new though.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 23 Feb 2016, 10:10 pm

I got one of these before the dollar dropped

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/product ... -case.html

They do a cheaper kit but this one has everything I've ever needed in one kit

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 10:33 pm

Chronos wrote:I got one of these before the dollar dropped

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/product ... -case.html

They do a cheaper kit but this one has everything I've ever needed in one kit

Chronos

They BRT one looks cool with plenty of bits but no long ones though I do like the bag + BRT are good guys to deal with. The Seekonk's are great if constantly having to tighten something to the same torque but damn expensive around the $230USD mark each. I have the 70" lbs and an 80" lbs T-Types as they are the ones that come with DTA rifles when ordering the optional field service kit. As a side benefit, most of the scope bases I use are around the 70" lbs mark so I use the Seekonk to ensure mounts have a uniform torque. And most importantly, they are totally idiot proof making them perfect for me :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 24 Feb 2016, 1:27 am

G'day MalleeFarmer,
Warren & Brown are the best quality torque wrenches on the market. As a former Fitter and engine builder I would use nothing else and have wrenches from 10" to 500ft/lb. Having said that, you will never need, or achieve, the accuracy inherent in these tools for the kind of work you envision, so a new or re-calibrated tool is not required. Buy the good 2nd hand one and it will last a lifetime.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 7:19 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:What do you guys think about a 10-220 inch pound W&B deflecting beam torque wrench for base and scope ring mounting and action screws etc. accuracy is +/- 2% so it should be accurate enough.

Sounds the goods. How much and where from?
You won't be going anywhere near 220"/lb!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Feb 2016, 7:20 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day MalleeFarmer,
Warren & Brown are the best quality torque wrenches on the market. As a former Fitter and engine builder I would use nothing else and have wrenches from 10" to 500ft/lb. Having said that, you will never need, or achieve, the accuracy inherent in these tools for the kind of work you envision, so a new or re-calibrated tool is not required. Buy the good 2nd hand one and it will last a lifetime.

Cheers no1! I have done some research and think my sidchrome torque wrench is also made by warren and brown and it is fantastic on my motorbike so I think I'll go ahead with it. Cheers for all the replies!
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Feb 2016, 7:23 am

Gwion wrote:
MalleeFarmer wrote:What do you guys think about a 10-220 inch pound W&B deflecting beam torque wrench for base and scope ring mounting and action screws etc. accuracy is +/- 2% so it should be accurate enough.

Sounds the goods. How much and where from?
You won't be going anywhere near 220"/lb!!!

Gwion I found a near new second hand one on fleabay the bloke wanted about 160-170 posted I got him down to 140 so I recon I'm gonna take it. They are new on eBay for anywhere between $216 and $250
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by zobster » 24 Feb 2016, 11:47 am

What about the FAT wrench? Not good?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by AusTac » 24 Feb 2016, 12:11 pm

I've used the warren and brown for engine assembly, can't beat it, by far my favorite tourqe wrench i've used, so easy to use and set
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 12:18 pm

zobster wrote:What about the FAT wrench? Not good?

My FAT wrench works fine for my purposes... if i have the cash, i would have got something better at the time, though. The Fat wrench is certainly better than guess work.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Feb 2016, 4:00 pm

I was going to get the fat wrench but decided that for another $30-40 I will get this second hand warren and brown. Probably overkill but I'm sure I'll find other uses for an accurate low torque wrench.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Feb 2016, 4:09 pm

I wonder why firearms manufacturers don't use inch pounds.
It provides much finer tolerances than foot pounds , and it's away better measurement of force on small threads.

This is what I've got, it's in inch/lbs
20160224_164354.jpg
20160224_164354.jpg (113.5 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 24 Feb 2016, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 4:18 pm

Foot pounds of energy delivered by a round and inch pounds of energy applied to fasteners on the guns.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Feb 2016, 6:26 pm

^^ this is correct I don't think I've ever come across foot pounds in relation to anything on a rifle other than the muzzle energy.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Feb 2016, 8:05 pm

When I asked at my lgs I was quoted ft/lbs

It would be nice to see a list of actions and torque settings on this thread ... that would be a handy resource... anyone?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 8:30 pm

It's not quite so simple. Different stocks, different bedding systems; all require different torque to shoot their best. Trial and testing is best, beyond some basic guidelines.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 24 Feb 2016, 8:49 pm

From Nathan Foster's book: A Practical Guide to Bolt Action Rifle Accurizing & Maintenance;
image.jpg
image.jpg (815.38 KiB) Viewed 5433 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Feb 2016, 6:34 am

Gwion wrote:From Nathan Foster's book: A Practical Guide to Bolt Action Rifle Accurizing & Maintenance;
image.jpg

Thats a really good starting point ... I guess from there it comes down to fine tuning , trial and error.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Feb 2016, 7:26 pm

Here it is! And I've already remounted my ET6945FG scope to my howa .308 with a EGW HD 20 Moa base and Matching HD rings.

(Rather than the weaver 2 piece bases and el cheapo rings it had.)

Used EGW specified torques and the action screws torqued to what gwions posts said earlier.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5419 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 26 Feb 2016, 7:49 pm

Here are some pics of the finished product.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.07 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.94 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 29 Feb 2016, 11:58 am

MalleeFarmer wrote:Probably overkill but I'm sure I'll find other uses for an accurate low torque wrench.

And good tools last forever so in the long run it's good value.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Gunsmithing