Restoring a Used Firearm

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Restoring a Used Firearm

Post by Squiddy » 02 Mar 2016, 7:26 pm

Hi guys,

I'm interested in purchasing a WW2 era SMLE, Mosin or Mauser to add to the collection.

The pristine models or VGC in each of these with matching numbers fetch over $2000, but I've noticed there are a lot of battered ones on the market sub $1000 (usually with matching stock and action numbers but a different bolt) and was wondering if any gunsmiths in Victoria do restoration and what it would cost?

I largely mean the stock, barrel and action being restored.

Thanks
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Restoring a Used Firearm

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm

Why do you want to restore mate?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Squiddy » 02 Mar 2016, 8:02 pm

Because its too hard to find stuff with matching numbers in pristine condition here.

And for a piece of history!
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 02 Mar 2016, 8:03 pm

I bought a no 4 mk 1 sporter recently and apart from replacing some screws and little bits to make it the way i want it ( new period correct stock end and some screws ) shes good to go. If you want a ' as new ' or close to old firearms your certainly going to pay for it, and unfortunatly they just keep going up and up.

Also consider the ammo cost.. i know .303 is a little pricey.. on the upside its pushed me into reloading lol

Whatever you choose its nice to own a peice of history even if it is a little modifed, to be able to date i, ( mines a '45 ) and see where it came from and imagine what its been through, pretty cool if you ask me.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Squiddy » 02 Mar 2016, 8:07 pm

A few options I'm looking at have stocks that need love and the actions and barrels are 70+ years old. The stocks can be sanded and re lacquered, but what can be done for the actions and barrels if theyre a bit rough or have rust that the seller has sprayed over?

Can they be stripped back and replated?
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 02 Mar 2016, 9:00 pm

Depending whats on them already you can do a cold re blu ( little touch ups ), or get a smith to do a full re blu properly but $, otherwise fix and paint/cerekote over it and sometimes its best just to a) put it down and continue the search or b) live with it, but you have options.

Theres plenty of stocks around to re finish/ replace if you wish, and you've got to know what you want/ what to look for in an action/barrel youtube/google is your friend, plenty of milsurps kicking around and they exchange hands everyday.

But pretty much unless your wanting to spend 2-3,000 somethings going to need replacing/fixing/getting used to alot of these rifles have been through hell and back and they look the way they look because of it, adds a little character, on the bright side the're easy to work on

Well thats 2 long posts i'll let the others chime in :)

Best of luck mate
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 02 Mar 2016, 9:20 pm

Right now you can probably get Mauser, Russian capture. Mosin 91, 38, 44, and Enfield shipped to you from Claremont. Matching serial numbers and original stocks. I don't know where you got this non matching business from because I am keen on Mosins, and a mate on Mausers and between us we have done a bit of research and haven't seen what you are talking about other than stocks that need some TLC. They shoot fine... But you are getting an 80yo gun so don't expect it to be your brand new modern rifle. You will get pitted bores and scratches and stuff, all character. Rusty - haven't seen rust.

You don't want to restore it, that would mean sending down factory markings and that would destroy its history. You may want to refinish it, like apply polyurethane, restain and remove old gunk, shellac... That you do yourself. There are lots of videos on that on YouTube and as a matter of fact I am embarking on this adventure myself in couple of weeks with an M38 :p search for "refinishing Mosin stock".
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 02 Mar 2016, 9:32 pm

P.s.
There is Militaria Expo in Melbourne in April. You would probably find allot of stuff there...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Mar 2016, 11:36 pm

You can still find decent examples for under a grand. Don't worry too much about the stock, they,re old main battle rifles, nicks and scratches are history, and besides, a little tlc can do wonders to old stocks.
Focus on the action condition first, and then the rifling. Then take it home, love it, have fun with it and know you have history in the safe
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Mar 2016, 1:23 am

G'day Squiddy,
The instant you do any restoring / refurbishment you have destroyed the history and lowered the value of the rifle. For serious collectors like myself a SMLE as issued can be $350 to $5000 depending on condition and issue, but a restored rifle is $150 even if it looks spankers. Taking a sporter back to Issue can be a rewarding exercise but understand it will not be worth as much as an un-molested rifle, but preservation is a completely different story. Soaking a stock in warm linseed oil for a couple of days to save it form over shrinkage is fine, sanding it is sacrilege. There are a lot of shooters who couldn't care less about our Military history and refurbish "Old Warriors" to look brand new, but you might as well buy an AIA if shiny is all that matters, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 03 Mar 2016, 6:36 am

Thanks for the feedback guys -

When I said restore, I never meant to destroy the serial numbers and original markings etc.I need all of that in tact.

What I'm basically hearing is that I'm better off waiting until I see something I like and then pouncing on it, rather than stripping something down and refurbishing it....
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 03 Mar 2016, 7:14 am

No1 said it all.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 03 Mar 2016, 9:12 am

No1Mk3, well said. My 91/30 is not getting anything done to it.

M38 however is going to get stock TLC because it's mine and and I want to have a shiny fun blaster from 1944 :) (I can hear you grind your teeth from here hehehe)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by chacka » 03 Mar 2016, 2:35 pm

Buy two, problem solved :D
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Mar 2016, 4:09 pm

I like your thinking, chacka, fits well with my "firearms philosophy" can't decide? buy both!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 04 Mar 2016, 8:53 pm

Regardless of what you come up with always refer to rule number one.........

There is ALWAYS room for one more.

Problem(s) solved...... :mrgreen:

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 11 Mar 2016, 10:56 am

No1Mk3 wrote:but a restored rifle is $150 even if it looks spankers

It's a buyers market :D
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory