Re-Barreling

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re-Barreling

Post by andym79 » 03 Nov 2013, 7:46 pm

Hi, I am thinking of getting an old Winchester 1892, as most of the affordable example have worn barrels, I got to thinking a new barrel might be the order, but which of the 4 original calibers would be the easiest/cheapest to get Re barreled?

The 25-20, 32-2-, 38-40 or the 44-40 (I would prefer on of the last two, but authenticity is more important, in terms of cartridge, I don't want to re-barrel to say a .357)

most importantly does anyone know of a Gunsmith in preferably in SA who might do this sort of work?

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Re-Barreling

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Nov 2013, 8:37 pm

http://www.whitepages.com.au/business-l ... chester-sa Sprinter Arms .... A very good old school Gunsmith, highly recomended and well known for rebarreling. I use him because of his reputation and very good pricing. As for wich cal. You need to ask yourself if you will keep it forever, if so then go for performance.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SendIt » 04 Nov 2013, 8:20 am

"easiest" I'd say might be 44-40.

Only because it's such a popular lever action cartridge, barrels should hopefully me in more readily available supply, and be reasonably priced.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 04 Nov 2013, 8:28 am

Can't say for Adelaide sorry, but you could put in a call to Rolf Hey,

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au/Rolfs ... vices.html

He's in Tas, but re-barrelling is kind of his thing. So might be the guy to do it for you even if you've got to ship it.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Elek » 04 Nov 2013, 8:32 am

If you haven't already, put in a call to your local gun store and ask for some contacts.

They've usually all got a couple of smiths on the books for work, they could likely recommend you to just the guy...
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hardcast » 04 Nov 2013, 10:53 am

Hey Andy,
If it's a genuine 1892 model Winny, it's worth more with a worn barrel than a new one, however if you want to shoot it effectively and
rebarreling doesn't worry you then go for it.
Kieth, up at Sprinters is certainly worth the phone call, 85375247. But he is semi retired theses days, lol, and may take a while, if he is interested.
He's a good dude, and worth while talking to.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by riggee » 04 Nov 2013, 11:10 am

Hardcast wrote:But he is semi retired theses days, lol, and may take a while, if he is interested.

Mate of mine had to wait 6 weeks just to get his rifle bedded.

Aus need more gunsmiths :cry:
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Hardcast » 04 Nov 2013, 11:24 am

Yep, 6 weeks is the norm.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by andym79 » 04 Nov 2013, 12:03 pm

Hardcast wrote:Hey Andy,
If it's a genuine 1892 model Winny, it's worth more with a worn barrel than a new one, however if you want to shoot it effectively and
rebarreling doesn't worry you then go for it.
Kieth, up at Sprinters is certainly worth the phone call, 85375247. But he is semi retired theses days, lol, and may take a while, if he is interested.
He's a good dude, and worth while talking to.

Yere I kind of agree with you! How viable would it be to get a gunsmith to install a barrel sleeve of the same calibre 44-40 or 38-40 and keep the original for authenticity as well as acuuracy?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 04 Nov 2013, 12:49 pm

andym79 wrote:Yere I kind of agree with you! How viable would it be to get a gunsmith to install a barrel sleeve of the same calibre 44-40 or 38-40 and keep the original for authenticity as well as acuuracy?

Typically you'd use a conversion sleeve as a temporary change. e.g. You might be using a shorter cartridge/smaller load in a shotgun comp as a handicap.

As a 'permanent' change, I think you'd be best to make a decision on rebarreling it (or not rebarreling it).
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 05 Nov 2013, 8:37 am

I am not l;ooking to change the cartridge! I am asking if re sleeving a 44-40 or a 38-40 barrel with the same calibre sleeve is a viable permeanent solution to fixing a worn barrel without losing the original exterior?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 05 Nov 2013, 10:24 am

Yup, I get that. I'm saying that sleeves are not really intended as a permanent thing.

Why not just re-barrel it and keep the old barrel? It doesn't cost you anything to keep the original.

Shoot the new barrel for accuracy for as long as you have the rifle, and you can swap back to the original barrel when selling it to maintain the value.

Throw in the extra new barrel and you'd get most of your money back on it when bundled with the rifle.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by andym79 » 05 Nov 2013, 6:49 pm

Blackened wrote:Yup, I get that. I'm saying that sleeves are not really intended as a permanent thing.

Why not just re-barrel it and keep the old barrel? It doesn't cost you anything to keep the original.

Shoot the new barrel for accuracy for as long as you have the rifle, and you can swap back to the original barrel when selling it to maintain the value.

Throw in the extra new barrel and you'd get most of your money back on it when bundled with the rifle.

I total see your point, get it, shoot it, if necessary pay to rebarrel it, sell it 5-20 years with original barrel!

Sometimes I think too much!

On another note how much work is involved in turning a 38-40 in to a 44-40 or vice versa?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by VICHunter » 05 Nov 2013, 7:22 pm

andym79 wrote:On another note how much work is involved in turning a 38-40 in to a 44-40 or vice versa?

Gunsmiths charge such different rates it's tough to say.

e.g. I got quotes for bedding a rifle a while ago and they varied from $250 - $400 dollars.

Best bet is to call any of the smiths listed above, we're just throwing out numbers otherwise really which won't help you.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing