DIY sear notch job on Ruger trigger

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

DIY sear notch job on Ruger trigger

Post by fawksel » 04 Nov 2013, 5:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at maybe a Ruger Scout for my first .308

I know they've got a reputation for having heavy triggers though...

Looking into it I find this -

It's from the full write up here - http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html

On paper that all sounds fine, just shave a bit off the sear... How easy is it to actually muck up?

I know I could pay a gunsmith a few $ who's going to get it right, but I'm keen to learn a few mods myself.

I'm not a gunsmith obviously, I'd just be doing this low-tech with a file and calipers.

What are the chances for a new shooter?
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: DIY sear notch job on Ruger trigger

Post by buster » 04 Nov 2013, 5:58 pm

If in doubt just do the spring instead?

Tough to muck that up.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 05 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

Haven't had a go at the sear or trigger, but you can definitely just replace the spring and get a significantly lighter trigger pull.

Just take your spring to a spring place and show them what you want. My mate did exactly this and picked up 5 lighter springs for this Ruger Scout for $10 or something.

Haven't measured the spring tension or anything, but feels about 30% lighter or thereabouts to my touch.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Ken » 06 Nov 2013, 8:18 am

buster wrote:If in doubt just do the spring instead?

Tough to muck that up.

Yeah mate, I'd do this first.

I'm useless with this kind of stuff but can strip my rifle down for cleaning to the spring no problem.

Would be easy as to replace the spring and you couldn't muck it up.

Do this first and see how you find the improvement, you might not feel the need to do any more.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 06 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

The risk in mucking it up is that you're trigger won't be safe.

If you're sear and trigger don't lock properly a knock to the rifle or light trigger brush could cause an accidental discharge.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 9:51 am

does anyone know of a of the shelf replacement spring for these ? :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Aug 2018, 11:42 am

I did the sear on the wifes Ruger, it worked fine and made a crap trigger a nice one. I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement trigger shoes if you stuff it up.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 1:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I did the sear on the wifes Ruger, it worked fine and made a crap trigger a nice one. I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement trigger shoes if you stuff it up.

so you just modified the sear area as shown above in this post BFS ? didn't need a different spring at all ? any advice on this would be appreciated. did a trade deal with my local GS. traded my 45-70 single shot CVA on a 308 gunsite. i feel it will be a better scrub/ute gun for quite a few reasons. these rugers remind me a lot of 303 jungle carbines. should be able to hit a lot more with a ruger too :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 19 Aug 2018, 4:02 pm

Desert Channels QLD did a helicopter pig eradication program about 5-6 years ago; down in the channel country. I think it was South of Windorah.

Talking to a couple of people involved, they were using these .308 Ruger Scouts from the helicopter.

Must have been happy with the rifle; my understanding is they wore 3 of them out...

I remember at the time; seeing the numbers of pigs shot, and struggling to comprehend how many they nailed.
I vaguely recall they were buying the ammo in lots of 10,000 rounds.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 6:10 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Desert Channels QLD did a helicopter pig eradication program about 5-6 years ago; down in the channel country. I think it was South of Windorah.

Talking to a couple of people involved, they were using these .308 Ruger Scouts from the helicopter.

Must have been happy with the rifle; my understanding is they wore 3 of them out...

I remember at the time; seeing the numbers of pigs shot, and struggling to comprehend how many they nailed.

christ almighty that's a lot of bacon ! and a lot of bullets ! ruger should've used that info in their marketing. speaks volumes for the rifle. that's a interesting piece of info rod. i remember as a kid watching helicopter shoots on tv doco's, back then
(pre port arthur), i remember they were using SLR's and M14's . hopefully this gunsite ruger should be a good thing. i thought about building a carbine type rifle on a 6.5 swede,(my favorite rifle ) but after all the gun smithing and stuffing around, getting the ruger makes sense. thought about lever guns, but a compact mauser style carbine in 308 is more me :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2018, 6:34 am

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I did the sear on the wifes Ruger, it worked fine and made a crap trigger a nice one. I'm pretty sure you can buy replacement trigger shoes if you stuff it up.

so you just modified the sear area as shown above in this post BFS ? didn't need a different spring at all ? any advice on this would be appreciated. did a trade deal with my local GS. traded my 45-70 single shot CVA on a 308 gunsite. i feel it will be a better scrub/ute gun for quite a few reasons. these rugers remind me a lot of 303 jungle carbines. should be able to hit a lot more with a ruger too :lol: :thumbsup:

Yeah BR and I think I changed the spring for one out of a spring kit from Bunnings if memory serves me correctly. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 20 Aug 2018, 8:51 am

[quote="bigrich"]

[quote="Rod_outbak"]
Desert Channels QLD did a helicopter pig eradication program about 5-6 years ago; down in the channel country. I think it was South of Windorah.

[/quote]

christ almighty that's a lot of bacon ! and a lot of bullets ! ruger should've used that info in their marketing. speaks volumes for the rifle. that's a interesting piece of info rod. i remember as a kid watching helicopter shoots on tv doco's, back then
(pre port arthur), i remember they were using SLR's and M14's . hopefully this gunsite ruger should be a good thing. i thought about building a carbine type rifle on a 6.5 swede,(my favorite rifle ) but after all the gun smithing and stuffing around, getting the ruger makes sense. thought about lever guns, but a compact mauser style carbine in 308 is more me :thumbsup:
[/quote]

From DCQ 2011-2012 Annual Report p36: -
To date, “Pigs Might Fly” has seen 25 days of aerial shooting and baiting carried out across the Barcoo, Cooper and Diamantina catchments.
Through aerial shooting 11,796 pigs have been shot and an unknown number from aerial baiting.
The program has currently covered 1,205,000 hectares of Channel Country. Stage Two will see aerial shooting campaigns carried out across all three catchments covering both areas already shot and those not covered in Stage One.

From DCQ 2012-2013 Annual Report p27: -
We have been able to complete 230,000 hectares of control works with project funding from the Queensland and Australian governments, and in-kind support from land holders.
Around 28,000 pigs have been taken out of these systems to date.
The cooperation and support of landholders and project partners has been invaluable to the success of the project. However, continued vigilance is needed as feral pig populations have the potential to grow at a rate of 86% in twelve months given the right conditions, enabling them to recover quickly after control.

[I suspect this ~28k figure is over the whole period of the project. Still a lot of pigs, though...]

We live a good 450kms+ from where this was conducted, and we saw a notable drop in our local pig populations over the following year.

Cheers,

Rod.
Yep; A LOT of hot pork...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 11:52 am

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Yeah BR and I think I changed the spring for one out of a spring kit from Bunnings if memory serves me correctly. :thumbsup:

A spring kit from Bunnings you say BFS !?! There’s no limit to what Bunnings sell. Might see if I can turn a water filter into a silencer. Don’t let the lefties hear about it or they’ll call for stricter hardware regulation :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Aug 2018, 4:16 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:

A spring kit from Bunnings you say BFS !?! There’s no limit to what Bunnings sell. Might see if I can turn a water filter into a silencer. Don’t let the lefties hear about it or they’ll call for stricter hardware regulation :lol:

A springs a spring I reckon not like they make springs for firearms specifically despite what some may think. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 6:04 pm

good on bunnings if they do but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2018, 7:46 am

bigrich wrote:good on bunnings if they do but :thumbsup:

It was just a box of all sorts of springs, sizes, types etc, around 30 or 40 diff springs in the box from memory, I just used one with the right size/stiffness to suit my needs. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 21 Aug 2018, 3:49 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bigrich wrote:good on bunnings if they do but :thumbsup:

It was just a box of all sorts of springs, sizes, types etc, around 30 or 40 diff springs in the box from memory, I just used one with the right size/stiffness to suit my needs. :thumbsup:

i'll keep my eyes open BFS. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2018, 4:32 pm

Not a prob BR :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Aug 2018, 8:14 pm

If you can measure up the spring you need, these people seem to have a decent range of springs that might fit your needs.

Steel and Stainless options.

No kits, though.

https://www.bolt.com.au/springs-compres ... 8_381.html

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Aug 2018, 8:47 pm

thanks very much for the link rod, your a legend. i'll be picking up my ruger tomorrow. i put my PTA in on saturday night, they wouldn't have got onto it till monday, got the confirmation email 2-10 teusday arvo ! wow , liscencing have their sh!t together now or what ? once i get a chance to pull it apart i'll measure it up. cheers mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Aug 2018, 10:57 pm

Plenty of options here and plenty of boxes of springs on ebay too :thumbsup:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/b ... on-springs

I think this is the spring kit I got from bunnings

https://www.bunnings.com.au/spring-asso ... 1_p3969419
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2018, 4:34 am

A big thanks to you too BFS. Now all i gotta do is show the Bunnings staff the link on my phone. When you can catch one, they stand around in a group and when they see someone coming who looks like they need help they scatter :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Aug 2018, 8:19 am

bigrich wrote:A big thanks to you too BFS. Now all i gotta do is show the Bunnings staff the link on my phone. When you can catch one, they stand around in a group and when they see someone coming who looks like they need help they scatter :lol: :thumbsup:

I'm hearing ya BR, I can never find any assistance either when it comes to visiting Bummings. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Gunsmithing