Barrel diameter for Tikka T3 and Ruger for muzzle break?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Barrel diameter for Tikka T3 and Ruger for muzzle break?

Post by Berper » 15 Jul 2013, 4:13 pm

Hi guys,

A mate of mine and I are looking into getting a pair of clamp on muzzle brakes for our rifles, but neither of us has a set of digital calipers for measuring.

Between us we have a Ruger Hawkeye and a Tikka T3 both in .308. After some Googleing I couldn't find and specs for barrels, does anyone know if such a resource is available online somewhere?

Don't really wanna buy a pair of calipers to just use once.... Thanks.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Re: Barrel diameter for Tikka T3 and Ruger for muzzle break?

Post by Vati » 16 Jul 2013, 9:48 am

Honestly mate just buy a pair of calipers.

I guess you're not happy about spending the money for a once off cause you've seen the Kincrome or other name brand where calipers are $80-$100 a set.

You can get a pair of Craftright brand digital calipers from Bunnings for $30. I used these for measuring my COAL when reloading and they work fine. No need to fork out for the expensive pair.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Octane » 16 Jul 2013, 10:03 am

Sorry to take things off topic, what's the ammunition COAL mean? Do I need to look for this when buying ammo?
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Berper » 16 Jul 2013, 10:04 am

I hadn't seen them that cheap, but $30 is much better. I'll get to a hardware store and find some $30 once, thanks Vati.

Sorry, what's COAL?
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jul 2013, 10:15 am

COAL = cartridge overall length.

It's important when reloading so the bullet is seated to the correct depth, and also in fine tuning loads for accuracy depending on how close your rifle likes the projectile being to the lands.

You don't need to find anything about this when buying ammo Octane, anything in the correct calibre will work in your rifle. If you're buying factory ammo just experiment with a few brands/types to find a load which works well for your particular rifle.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 16 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

I actually asked this of HSS who make clamp on brakes if they could use past measurements for the same model rifle and make me a break from that.

Apparently there is enough variance between rifles which are "the same" that they won't do it anyway, and need you to measure your own barrel diameter if you wan't them to make you a muzzle brake.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by inspector » 01 Aug 2013, 2:50 pm

RealNick wrote:I actually asked this of HSS who make clamp on brakes if they could use past measurements for the same model rifle and make me a break from that.

It seems HSS are the people to see for one.

I haven't used one myself, but whenever muzzle brakes come up HSS inevitably gets mentioned.

They must be doing something right.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing