Barrel temperature

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Barrel temperature

Post by MakeItHappenCaptain » 06 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm

Metallurgically, at what temperature should you be giving your barrel a rest?
Is there a specific temperature (excluding second degree burns when you feel the barrel :sarcasm: ) where a barrel will start to develop excessive wear (burn out)? :?:

Not after "x rounds in my .xxx varmit" or "if you can't keep you hand on it for five seconds", more a scientific temperature range.
Cheers.
Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain on 07 Apr 2016, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CZ 452-2E
Sako S491 .223
Cooper M54 22-250
Rem 7600 .308/.458 SOCOM
MakeItHappenCaptain
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Barrel temperature

Post by Baz460 » 06 Apr 2016, 8:30 pm

I find that 3 shots in a row out of my 257 Weatherby, then it's time to give it a rest.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 06 Apr 2016, 9:26 pm

depends what your going for really, heeeeeaps of variables but on my .303 for target work about 1 shot a minute keeps it cool enough usually and when im just messing around shoot shoot and shoot who cares just don't but it near anything you don't want melted or hot
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 07 Apr 2016, 7:48 am

How long is a piece of string? Some get hot fast, some don't.. some have crome bores.. some have water cooling.. etc.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Chronos » 07 Apr 2016, 8:22 am

when the POI drifts outside the acceptable range or when you believe there's enough heat to damage the bore. firecracking is a great way to ruin a barrel, it's why a lot of military barrels use chrome lined bores

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Apr 2016, 12:14 pm

G'day MakeItHappenCaptain,
There is no practicable temperature, metallurgically speaking, that you can possibly achieve with a repeating rifle where you would suffer true burn out. Machine guns can reach the Point of Decalescence and continue to operate for a while, though life is dramatically shortened, think MG42, etc. The best you might make is tempering straw, which equates to appx 220C. As the others posted above, to get best life, rest when shots start to fall off, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 07 Apr 2016, 9:39 pm

Most of us have trouble loading that fast :-0

Hey MIHC……I eventually (9 months now) and two instruments (4 actually) and $640 latter have successfully educated CASA how to issue a carriage of firearms instrument.

Drop me a line if you want to know more ;-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 10 Apr 2016, 9:48 am

G'Day Fella's,

Apart from some Ham Fisted Phuckwit that has no idea how to use cleaning gear properly, a barrels worst enemy is HEAT!
When I'm out hunting or competitive shooting, the barrel will get hot at times from use, that what it's there for.
But any time I'm at the range working up loads, sighting in etc, I wait a couple of minutes between shots, just to allow the barrel to stay cool!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Ben78 » 10 Apr 2016, 11:15 am

4140 steel is tempered in the range of 150°c to 200°c. You would need to exceed this to cause a permanent change to the steel structure. Keep in mind that the throat may exceed this easily without the barrel external temp being more than warm. Warming the barrel up to 55° on a 25° day would show measurable increase in the bore size (through expansion) and may change poi.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 13 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

What about stainless?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ben78 » 28 Apr 2016, 6:36 am

RealNick wrote:What about stainless?

431 Stainless is Tempered in the 590 degree+ range so shooting temperatures have even less impact on metallurgy when compared with 4140 barrels.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Apr 2016, 8:24 am

Long strings of fire with even a moderate charge/cartridge, say 223rem, can and will alter surface metallurgy within the bore of the barrel; particularly at the throat end. This is one reason why you get throat erosion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOmco59yJs8 <<<chemical bore erosion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAdf4bN6kg <<<thermal bore erosion
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 28 Apr 2016, 8:25 am

Ben78 wrote:

431 Stainless is Tempered in the 590 degree+ range so shooting temperatures have even less impact on metallurgy when compared with 4140 barrels.

Thought most rifle barrels were made from 416R.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Ben78 » 02 May 2016, 6:23 am

happyhunter wrote:
Thought most rifle barrels were made from 416R.

Probably - I'm no gunsmith.

416 shares a similar tempering range to 431 however.
Ben78
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 02 May 2016, 12:17 pm

Ben78 wrote:

And to throw another one in the mix there are 4150 barrels which can take a temp somewhere in the middle I think. (Can't remember the number off hand)
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 03 May 2016, 8:07 am

4140 is the most common. 4150 has a higher carbon content so it's a harder wearing alloy and not as common due to expense. I wonder if anybody has tested the effects of heat on barrel steel (at the throat) using metallographic techniques? This would reveal changes at the microscopic level and answer the question of what changes really occur.

I'm guessing that due to the extreme short period the metal is hot that there would be minimal changes to the steels physical properties (hardness ductility, etc..), and most of the damage would be from melting and wear. but again, that is a guess.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Farmjer » 14 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm

happyhunter wrote:4140 is the most common. 4150 has a higher carbon content so it's a harder wearing alloy and not as common due to expense. I wonder if anybody has tested the effects of heat on barrel steel (at the throat) using metallographic techniques? This would reveal changes at the microscopic level and answer the question of what changes really occur.

Know any rifles/barrels made with 4150?

Just curious where it is used.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing