K98 laminated stock issues

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

K98 laminated stock issues

Post by Chronos » 11 Apr 2016, 5:51 pm

Thought I'd share a bit of info now that I have a mates stock here. I had an identical issue on my laminated K98 stock (mines an Israeli 7.62 conversion)

Here are some pics that show what to look for if you're buying one of these rifles to save yourself greif later on or maybe help identify the issue in your own gun before more damage is done.

The best indicator of this issue is damage around the rear side of the cross bolt which acts as a recoil lug. It's also evident the action is moving rearward during firing when you find a gap at the front of the floor plate

As soon as you remove the action from the stock you'll find damage to the woodwork and maybe even a split

I'll help out my mate by doing what i did to mine. I'll carefully seperate the magwell a little with wedges, clean all the internal woodwork and glue with epoxy then clamp it all up tight. This should see it all lock up tight on the metalwork again. My rifle required the front and rear of the action to be bedded because there was so much damage to the timber but i think this one should be ok

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Re: K98 laminated stock issues

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Apr 2016, 6:18 pm

G'day Chronos,
Thanks for putting that up. Although I know this one already, I have a bad habit of thinking "everyone knows that!", and forgetting we have a lot of younger people in the sport now who may not have heard of this. On that basis, I should like to contribute in like wise, for those unaware, that when removing the butt on any Mark of Enfield No1, always remove the lower fore-wood first, as the butt bolt often has a square on the end that engages a slot on the fore-wood, and turning it will usually crack the wood. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 11 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Chronos,
Thanks for putting that up. Although I know this one already, I have a bad habit of thinking "everyone knows that!", and forgetting we have a lot of younger people in the sport now who may not have heard of this. On that basis, I should like to contribute in like wise, for those unaware, that when removing the butt on any Mark of Enfield No1, always remove the lower fore-wood first, as the butt bolt often has a square on the end that engages a slot on the fore-wood, and turning it will usually crack the wood. Cheers.

Thanks mate. There's things we learn along the way but often fail to share for one reason or another. Maybe we need a "tips and tricks" section so we can put stuff up in the hope it saves someone else some grief down the track.

chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 19 May 2016, 1:46 pm

Any idea how much use you're looking at before this is likely to occur?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 May 2016, 10:08 am

Gregg wrote:Any idea how much use you're looking at before this is likely to occur?

I have no idea Gregg but I'd say it's a combination of tens of thousands of rounds and incorrect action screw tension. Maybe even damage to the glues by solvents and oils

You've got to remember these laminated stocks were introduced in the later half of WW2 when supplies of stock timber dried up so that makes them around 70 years old. For example my Israeli has been a service competition rifle in Australia for around 30 years. Say 25 rounds a week for 30 years is over 30'000 rounds of .308 give or take

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 24 May 2016, 3:25 pm

Chronos wrote:For example my Israeli has been a service competition rifle in Australia for around 30 years. Say 25 rounds a week for 30 years is over 30'000 rounds of .308 give or take

That mule has done some work!
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 24 May 2016, 4:33 pm

Chickenhawk wrote:
Chronos wrote:For example my Israeli has been a service competition rifle in Australia for around 30 years. Say 25 rounds a week for 30 years is over 30'000 rounds of .308 give or take

That mule has done some work!

Yep, won a Vic title or two in it's day too. I bought it to shoot, not as a collectors piece so that's how it goes. still functions flawlessly and will shoot a group 8" wide and 4" high at 300m from the prone position if I do my job right and everyone who knows them knows the sights on the Mausers aren't the greatest

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing