Remington 700 pickatinny rail ?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Remington 700 pickatinny rail ?

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm

I'm in the process of planning my next building.

My latest piece of sporting equipment is a rough looking Remington 700 synthetic that has had a Dulux overhaul by perhaps one of South Australia's least known artists ... but that's another story.

I'm after ideas about mounting scopes to Rem 700 actions.
I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5 to 20 x 60
and the AO. adjuster adds size to that 60mm because its soo beefy.

The standard Rem 700 scope setup seems to be a front and rear adapter the rear adapter having windage adjustment to which scope rings mounted ... looks like plenty of things to come loose and move, not that I've ever had this happen on my other Rem 700.

I'm thinking one pictinny? rail that is so tough it actually ads rigidity to the action, it will need a concaved base to suit the round 700 action, topped with quality rings tall enough for the scope to just clear the rifle. I'm happy to drill and tap the action for bigger or more screws if it's going to make it a more accurate or more rigid build.

Has anyone seen products that sound like what I'm looking for ?

Perhaps someone might have seen a better way to mount scopes to Rem 700's ... please tell.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 23 Apr 2016, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Remington 700 scope mounting options

Post by Varmtr » 19 Apr 2016, 12:39 am

Yep running a Warne pic rail and Ken Farrell rings. I upgraded my picatinny rail screws from 6x48's to 8x40's also you may need to bed the pic rail to the action also.

Picatinny rail for a Rem 700 do you want 0 MOA, 20 MOA / steel or alloy etc. Brand wise Nightforce, Warne, EGW, Larue, Talley, Ken Farrell, Seekins etc.
Rings well Nightforce, Warne, Ken Farrell, Leupold, Burris, EGW, Seekins etc
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Apr 2016, 1:11 am

Varmtr wrote:Yep running a Warne pic rail and Ken Farrell rings. I upgraded my picatinny rail screws from 6x48's to 8x40's also you may need to bed the pic rail to the action also.

Picatinny rail for a Rem 700 do you want 0 MOA, 20 MOA / steel or alloy etc. Brand wise Nightforce, Warne, EGW, Larue, Talley, Ken Farrell, Seekins etc.
Rings well Nightforce, Warne, Ken Farrell, Leupold, Burris, EGW, Seekins etc

That's what I wanted to hear :drinks:

I'll be primarily be hunting with this one so 0 moa is on the cards, steel if it's going to be more rigid.

I'm stoked to see so many options listed in your post, I don't really want to spend much more than $100 on a rail, as for the rings I'd probably be happy to spend $150 ish ....

Can you give me a rough idea of where you drilled the holes, aprox spacing and anything to watch out for when deciding where to place them ?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Varmtr » 19 Apr 2016, 10:32 am

Rem 700 actions already have holes drilled and tapped in the reciever. The pic rails are drilled to suit the hole spacings in the reciever. So just need to remove the small grub screws and bolt down if using the standard screws that came with the pic rail you choose. If you are going to drill out and tap to suit a bigger screw then best set up in a mill and make sure the holes are perfectly vertical, like wise with the pic rail. Also when installing the pic rail check for fitment, like I found with mine I just snugged the front screws down and could see day light at the back. So I bedded it with some devcon doing this will stop the pic rail bending to suit the action when torquing it down.
But the extra strength that a pic rail gives the reciever is 2/5ths bugger all. If the barrel your putting on is that big the action should be sleeved, or at least fully bedding and some bedding under the knox ( chamber area ) to help support. Unless your planing to build a cannon the standard 6061T6 or 7075T6 alloy pic rail would be fine.

Is the Rem700 a SA or LA ?
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm

She's just a short action in .223

I'm wanting to build it as a solid tack driver that can handle the punishment that traveling in a shooting bus throws at it and be left with something that I can pump practice rounds through without worrying too much about barrel life ... my 243 is punching jagged one hole groups at 100m now, I want to keep it that way.

It looks like I was on the money with my budget for the rail, im looking at one from Mid West that looks solid but I'm not sure if it has a recoil lug on it yet.... I'm trying my best to not rush into a purchase.
Screenshot_2016-04-19-11-39-22.png
Screenshot_2016-04-19-11-39-22.png (157.25 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Apr 2016, 12:30 pm

What are your thoughts on this one ?
Screenshot_2016-04-19-11-57-53.png
Screenshot_2016-04-19-11-57-53.png (184.19 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 19 Apr 2016, 3:37 pm

Sounds like you want something like Badger Ordinace or DD Ross rails.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Apr 2016, 3:51 pm

Varmtr, were you able to mount your scope nice and snug with your rifle using a pic rail?

When I googled pictures of rem 700's with rails the search showed nothing but rifles with scopes mounted quite high.

So far I'm still liking the rail pictured above and I'm considering some Leupold PRW rings if they will mount the scope low enough.
335531.jpg
335531.jpg (120.97 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Remington 700 pickatinny rail ?

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Apr 2016, 12:40 am

I'm going cold on the idea of a one piece pickatinny rail.

They are seem to be taller, likely to prevent the ejecting brass from being obstructed and to allow access for loading.

The full length rail looks like it'll make reloading my internal mag difficult and I'm not wanting to do a drop out mag conversation just to make the full rail user friendly.... I can see a couple of down sides to drop out mags in my application.

I'm now looking at a 2 piece steel mounting system, there goes my idea of the most solid mount. :violin:
Screenshot_2016-04-23-00-20-04.png
Screenshot_2016-04-23-00-20-04.png (197.03 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Varmtr » 24 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm

On one wheel my scope objective lens is only about 2mm from the barrel with warne pic rail and ken farrel low rings. The scope is is Vortx Viper PST 6-4x50.
There are quite a few rings that suit pic rails in various hieghts some companys measure from the bottom (base) of the ring to centre of scope tube and some measure from bottom (base) of the ring to the bottom of the scope tube.
I have no issues with ejecting cases with a one piece pic rail, and as mine is a BDL ( hinged floor plate ) I have to load via the ejecting port for the internal mag and again no issues.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 26 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

Varmtr wrote:I have no issues with ejecting cases with a one piece pic rail, and as mine is a BDL ( hinged floor plate )

Do they clear it cleaning or hit it on the way out but still eject completely fine?
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Varmtr » 26 Apr 2016, 3:20 pm

Rakk wrote:
Varmtr wrote:I have no issues with ejecting cases with a one piece pic rail, and as mine is a BDL ( hinged floor plate )

Do they clear it cleaning or hit it on the way out but still eject completely fine?

The 22-250 cases clear it with no issues.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Utcherd » 15 Jun 2016, 4:02 pm

Bit OT but does it matter if they hit? Other than wearing a bit of paint off the rail I guess, is there any real problem?

Could be a perk in deflecting brass so it doesn't fly too far away :lol:
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing