Remington 700 .222 barrel

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Remington 700 .222 barrel

Post by shootin blanks » 11 May 2016, 7:16 pm

My Remington 700 is getting on a bit. It is a .222 fitted with a bull barrel and the outside is getting pitted. Can this barrel be saved by getting it turned down a whisker and reblued or should i get a new barrel?
shootin blanks
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Remington 700 .222 barrel

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 May 2016, 7:44 pm

Never mind the outside; what is the bore like? Is the outside anything to go by?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2016, 8:07 pm

Re-finishing a barrel is pretty straight forward.
Most gun smith's would make short work of it and have it looking like new.

If it's still shooting well and theres life left in the bore you've got nothing to lose having a go at it yourself.

Do some research on refinishing and re bluing a barrel. I've had excellent results even on badly pitted barrels with a finishing file some strips of emery paper, some elbow grease and cold bluing compound.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 12 May 2016, 8:01 am

When you weigh up the cost and time a new replacement barrel would be better value. The other option is some elbow grease and do it yourself cold blueing but that is never going to be anywhere near the quality finish of a proper hot blue.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bills Shed » 12 May 2016, 8:20 am

shootin blanks wrote:My Remington 700 is getting on a bit. It is a .222 fitted with a bull barrel and the outside is getting pitted. Can this barrel be saved by getting it turned down a whisker and reblued or should i get a new barrel?

The .222 is a fine calibre. If the outside is pitted and the bore is good, why worry? It is just cosmetic. Rifles are meant to be fired and not just looked at.
I would say if it is a good shooter, keep shooting.
If you have to make it look pretty, i agree get a skim taken off the barrel, but be prepared to pay for it.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 12 May 2016, 11:21 am

Also be prepared for the likely possibility that it's shooting characteristics will change; particularly if the pits are deep and require a lot of steel to be removed. Maybe just changing point of impact but also perhaps making it shoot like a dog.

I'd either keep shooting it until it craps out or get a new barrel fitted.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by shootin blanks » 12 May 2016, 10:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. The rifle shoots well , the bore is still in good nick so I may as well keep shooting with it.
shootin blanks
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by scotty87 » 13 May 2016, 5:25 am

You could have it bead blasted then cerakote it, would run probably $200-300 might not get rid of all the pitting though if it's deep.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mich » 17 Jun 2016, 2:01 pm

Maybe look at a wrap as a cheap option if the appearance is really bothering you.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jun 2016, 2:57 pm

Mich wrote:Maybe look at a wrap as a cheap option if the appearance is really bothering you.
:clap:

Or fill the pits with J B Weld and do a paint job to finish it off.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wes » 05 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm

Schlack a bit of gyprock filler on there, good as new :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing