.308w custom build, Shaping Update (MK2)

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

.308w custom build, Shaping Update (MK2)

Post by Supaduke » 17 May 2016, 9:46 am

Hello Folks,
I have begun gathering parts and accessories for a new dedicated target rifle in .308w.
So far I have
- A Howa 24" heavy barrelled action
- A nice large lump of Tassie Blackwood
- A meopta meopro 6-18 x 50 scope on order
- A bunch of ideas

I am going to build a custom stock with influences and design ideas from several famous stock makers including A.I. and McMillan (they know more about it than I do, so if it ain't broke.....)

I am looking for input on several things namely

- Bipod, strictly off the bench shooting (no I don't want a bag or rest)
- scope mounting system ( rail, mounts , rings etc for target use)
- Hardware for an adjustable comb (not the kydex ones)
- Monopod
- various other hardware for mounting bipods etc, picatinny or sling stud

Any other thoughts, musings, ruminations or ideas. Any pitfalls or things to be aware of when building a rifle. Things you have learnt that do or don't work. I am open to advice on what you guys think is best. Also looking for suppliers of said parts be it local or online.

Some other things to consider.
- weight is not an issue, strictly bench or prone
- cost is a consideration, I don't have unlimited funds and always look at the best compromise between performance and cost.

Any input is appreciated, I will post some pictures as the project begins to come together.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Supaduke on 01 Nov 2016, 10:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: New .308w target rifle build

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2016, 2:22 am

Good luck with the build. I can recommend dealing with Trueflite (NZ) for the barrel. Their service and delivery to stated lead time was excellent in my dealings with them.

One other thing to consider is your stock timber. How old is the lump of wood? That is, how long ago was it felled and also how long ago was the billet milled from the log? Beyond drying, timber needs a considerable amount of time to 'season' before it is stable enough to make thing like rifle stocks out of. Rule of thumb is 1 year per inch of thickness for drying and then a bare minimum of 5 years after the billet is cut for it to season and stabilise. It is not uncommon for good timbers to be seasoned for 10 or even 20 years. This process allows the stresses in the timber to equalise with a repeated ingress and outward migration of seasonal humidity changes. Hence the term 'seasoning'. This process begins when the billet/blank is cut from the larger sawed section. Each time significant amounts of timber is removed from that billet another period of 'settling' can be expected but the more well seasoned the timber, the less it will move in this period and the less it will move under climatic changes.

Sorry if you already know all this but it would be easy to make a very pretty stock that just keeps moving and effecting your stable bedding platform if you just get a nice bit of kiln dried timber and think it is all good to go stayed from the oven/mill.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 18 May 2016, 6:26 am

It has been seasoned for at least 17 years, probably a fair bit longer. Air dried and stored correctly. Hopefully will be solid as a rock. I am thinking of doing the stock on my Henry Frontier lever action as well, just for something different . The old man has amassed a very impressive woodworking workshop with basically every tool and piece of machinery available. We are going to practice inletting a few times on some cheap throw away timber to refine the technique . I will router out the basic inlet from a squared up blank and then patiently remove tiny amounts of timber , test fit and repeat. This seems like the smartest way to go about it.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2016, 7:23 am

Cool!

I recommend you watch this series of videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksbXB4bs64o
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Supaduke » 18 May 2016, 9:10 am

Looks promising , I will watch it when I get home. Thanks for the link
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 18 May 2016, 10:15 am

Just a basic inlet will allow you to pillar and glass bed it, it's a target rifle so avoid bedding straight into the timber.

I'm a little worried about your idea to use a bipod at the front and monopod at the rear on a bench. You'll find it may not track at all and will tend to bounce.

At the very least I'd be in letting an anschutz rail under the forend and use a Davies style F Class bipod then use a rear bag at the rear. I tried a accushot monopod on my old rifle and it was rubbish on anything harder than grass. It was handy to sit the rifle level but terrible to shoot with it touching the ground

Good luck with the project, sounds like it will be a lovely stock and there's a few semi custom jobs around on Howa actions that go well

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 18 May 2016, 1:05 pm

Yes, it will be pillar and glass bedded. I have no experience with monopods so I appreciate your opinion. Still working out what my best options are. I am starting to lean back towards a rear bag and putting a finger and thumb recess on the bottom or the buttstock similar to my crossover. One of the main things I am looking forward to , is being able to incorporate all my favourite design elements, from the many different stocks I have tried into one stock shaped and sized perfectly for me.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 May 2016, 1:58 pm

You are going to need wind flags and you can pay a pretty penny from
benchrest.com.au
Alternately, you might be able to google how to make them yourself a lot cheaper hopefully.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 19 May 2016, 2:36 pm

Piece of wire and a ribbon....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 May 2016, 6:47 pm

Supaduke wrote:Piece of wire and a ribbon....

:D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 23 May 2016, 10:42 am

So I had some free time on Sunday , so I travelled down to the old man's place and began stage one of my project build.

I am a novice when it comes to building stocks , but I do know my way around a workshop and consider myself fairly handy with woodwork.

I had a few basic ideas of the rough shape I wanted. I scetched out a few basic designs on the blackboard. I also had an old hogue stock and a modern boyds stock with me to assist in working out basic proportions and measurements.

First decision was to knock up a blank out of cheap structural pine. I am using this as a test bed to see what works, what needs improvement and most importantly, what measurements and final shape will need to be achieved.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 7707 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 7707 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 7707 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 May 2016, 10:53 am

I used four pieces of pine, glued and clamped together. I then squared it up on the bench planer.
I then drew a basic outline of the stock and popped it on the bandsaw to cut out a basic shape
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 7705 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 7705 times

And we end up with a very basic shape
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 7705 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 May 2016, 11:05 am

I then drilled some holes to get some corner radius and clearance to start shaping the thumb hole.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 7705 times

Then using a half-round rasp, a spokeshave and a flap wheel on a grinder I started carving out some contours.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 7705 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 7705 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 7705 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 May 2016, 11:34 am

This is where I am at so far.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1010.88 KiB) Viewed 7704 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (772.76 KiB) Viewed 7704 times

Already needs some modifications such as another inch or so LOP. The curved brace at the bottom of the pistol grip will be straightened and thicker.

I am working towards an AR style grip shape and a straight line recoil path. Plenty more shaping to go but I am happy with the basic ergonomics so far. Haven't touched the inletting or forend yet. Next step will be more shaping and the addition of some builders bog to help build up detail where needed. Cheek rest height and LOP will be sorted and then just more fine tuning. I will keep you guys posted on progress
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 May 2016, 12:59 pm

And is anyone able to offer their opinion on spigot style bipod attachments similar to this
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 7696 times

In comparison to a traditional sling stud type mounting underneath the forend.
Pros and cons etc
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update

Post by Supaduke » 24 May 2016, 10:25 am

Currently in the process of sourcing a DBM kit. Trying to get a Pacific Tool and Guage DBM, not sure if it's going to get past ITAR yet. Emails are in the loop so hopefully I will find out where I stand on that. Will be using an Accurate Mag 10 round with extended OAL.
Does anyone have a PTG kit? Was it easy to import or source locally? Do you like it ?
Last edited by Supaduke on 23 Jun 2016, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (2)

Post by Supaduke » 31 May 2016, 9:43 pm

So I had some more free time and progress is slowly continuing on the build. More refining on the stock shaping. I added some builders bog to my initial rough shaping to return a bit of smoothness and allow a little easier shaping
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1002.68 KiB) Viewed 7709 times

Adjusted the LOP and changed the position of the recoil pad. Straightened a few lines and smoothed out some others. Added a thumb rest and generally adapted the shaping to my body.
image.jpeg
Before
image.jpeg (1010.88 KiB) Viewed 7709 times

image.jpeg
After
image.jpeg (875.94 KiB) Viewed 7709 times

Also my scope arrived. A Meopta Meopro 6-18 X 50 BDC
image.jpeg
Meopta 6-18x50
image.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 7709 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (850.59 KiB) Viewed 7709 times

Got a PTG bottom metal on its way. Still deciding on what sort of bipod I will end up with , probably an Atlas. Lots of shaping and refining to go. Next weekend or so will start on the forend. Don't mind sharing this, partly for myself to document the build.

Will hopefully get this bit of Blackwood looking something like the above shape
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 7706 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (2)

Post by Supaduke » 04 Jun 2016, 10:40 pm

A little more free time, a little more tinkering.
My PTG bottom metal arrived in the mail yesterday and looks quite nice.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (725.31 KiB) Viewed 7685 times

Removed some timber for bolt clearance. Thought I would mock up the barrelled action and scope just to get an idea of proportions. Overall pretty happen with the basic shape and proportions that are coming together. Still yet to start on the forend. The timber will come down flush with the bottom of the mag well. The forend will be thinner and slightly tapered. Free time is in such short supply.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 7685 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (813.59 KiB) Viewed 7685 times

Not an AICS mag but helps me visualise
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (682.38 KiB) Viewed 7685 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (3)

Post by Stubbles McBeard » 05 Jun 2016, 3:34 pm

Ooh that's gonna be pretty!
Stubbles McBeard
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (4)

Post by Supaduke » 14 Jun 2016, 8:31 pm

So a bit more free time over the long weekend and a chance to advance the stock building a little further. First go at the forend

Started by using a router to carve a channel along each side of the forend.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 7037 times

Added a little more builders bog and did some further refining of the butt. Started smoothing out some lines. Adjusted the underside to match the bottom metal profile. Still plenty of shaping and smoothing to go but it's getting there slowly.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (956.76 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (808.65 KiB) Viewed 7032 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (745.5 KiB) Viewed 7032 times

Next step will be creating an even flow in the lines of the stock, blending and smoothing it all out.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (480.25 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7037 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (794.45 KiB) Viewed 7037 times

Getting there slowly but surely. Pretty happy with the overall shape and proportions. The finesse stages, making it all flow together and be pleasing to the eye are next . A lot more sanding and shaping to be done.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (5)

Post by Supaduke » 22 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm

A little more progress. Working on smoothing the lines and getting a bit of flow. Also have a 10 round magazine on order. It's getting there slowly, I only really had a basic idea of what I wanted. The design and shaping has been quite organic. Rasping and sanding, rebuilding with bog when I'm not quite satisfied, it's a slow process when the design is all in your head. Anyway here is where I'm at....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 7008 times
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (4)

Post by Mongrel » 22 Jun 2016, 9:53 pm

Looks great, would love to try this oneday, free time i got workshop like your oldmans i dont lol
Keep the pics and step by step coming. great read so far :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 23 Jun 2016, 1:05 am

Excited to see it all come together.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 23 Jun 2016, 10:43 pm

This looks great!
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 24 Jun 2016, 10:25 am

Can I hire you to work for me? :D

Smashing job
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 24 Jun 2016, 12:08 pm

Cheers fellas!! My next step will be to fit a wooden barrel that sits at exactly the same height as the howa action, I will then make some timber scope mounts to sit the scope on and fine tune the stock and mount height so I get good eye alignment. Next step after that will be a second blank once the first is completed. The second one will be cut to precise measurements and won't have any bog. The first blank has all been done by eye and there are little bits that are not completely squared up or true. Only get one go at cutting the Blackwood so I want to be absolutely sure of the shape and measurements. Pine blanks cost me less than $10
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jun 2016, 4:40 pm

Bit more shaping around the trigger guard recess and around the butt. Also installed a sling stud on the forend and popped a Harris 6-9 notched bipod in to see how it sits. Popped it onto the bench in a shooting position and it shoulders beautifully. Working on the lines more and more, getting some nice symmetry and flow. Next step is fitting the wooden barrel.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (530.16 KiB) Viewed 6971 times

sling stud
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (704.21 KiB) Viewed 6971 times

with bipod
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 25 Jun 2016, 5:01 pm

Even though this is your "Rough" copy......damn its sexy
Keep the pics coming :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Jun 2016, 6:02 pm

That looks real good!! I was lazy and put my hard earned down on a GRS
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: .308w custom build, Progress Update (MK2)

Post by Supaduke » 31 Jul 2016, 10:53 pm

Finally some more free time. Been a bit of a struggle lately getting any.

Ventured down to Ballarat to visit the old man and make use of the shed. Put together a new pine blank and went to work making version 2.0 of my rifle stock.

Having a pattern to work off made things much quicker this time round. A lot more simple measure and cut rather than painstaking shaping and sanding. Everything measured and square.

So far have done all the basic shaping with a bandsaw, table saw and drill press. The refinements and ideas from stock mk1 have been incorporated and all the main cuts have been made. The idea for this one is to fully inlet the stock and use no bog at all.
image.jpeg
Radius cuts and outlay
image.jpeg (884.6 KiB) Viewed 6926 times

image.jpeg
Mk1 and Mk2
image.jpeg (945.53 KiB) Viewed 6926 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6926 times
mk1 and mk2
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 6926 times
Supaduke