Glass Bedding an FNH Model 70

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Glass Bedding an FNH Model 70

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 May 2016, 9:26 pm

I have been having accuracy issues with my M70 so I decided to chisel out the old bedding remove some wood and re bed. Here's Hoping this fixes the problem.
The standard bedding was so tight I could hardly get the action out of the stock. I thought this could have been stressing the action.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.01 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
image.jpeg
Taped Up
image.jpeg (105.63 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.76 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
image.jpeg
Factory Bedding removed
image.jpeg (110.07 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Glass Bedding an FNH Model 70

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 May 2016, 10:04 am

Could not get mine out either and had the same suspicions. To stop the action flexing, the rear half of the tang was the only contact with that end of the action, that would work. To put it another way, there was a half-moon of support for the tang; the rear half. YMMV :)

To do a proper job, locking compound had to be removed from the screw threads, so as not to give a "false reading" when testing for flex at the fore-end tip.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 22 May 2016, 10:41 am

Can't see well in the pic but I would be using the round section of the action as my tracking rails and taping up the side parallels of the action to prevent hang up. This way the base flat provides your stress free bedding depth and the round side rails allow for true tracking under battery with no chance of pinching the action.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 22 May 2016, 11:31 am

Gwion wrote:Can't see well in the pic but I would be using the round section of the action as my tracking rails and taping up the side parallels of the action to prevent hang up. This way the base flat provides your stress free bedding depth and the round side rails allow for true tracking under battery with no chance of pinching the action.

I never thought of that.. I thought there would be enough of a taper on the bottom half of the action not to get hung up but you may well be right. This is why I put stuff on here!! Cheers for the advice.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hercl » 13 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:The standard bedding was so tight I could hardly get the action out of the stock. I thought this could have been stressing the action.

Some sense in that.

How does it shoot with the fresh bedding?
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing