Shotgun stock repair

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Shotgun stock repair

Post by Shorti85 » 17 Jun 2016, 5:37 pm

Hey guys can anyone tell me if this can be fixed, if so could you point me in the right direction. I'm in Melbourne It's a single barrel aya 12g
Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2397 times
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Shotgun stock repair

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2016, 5:44 pm

Assuming you have the missing piece and it isnt worth a lot and you want to do it your self.
Remove the recoil pad (usually 2 srews)
Remove the stock by undoing the screw or bolt you can now see.
Glue using wood glue & perhaps a couple of brads/tacks
Replace the stock, you could while your at it re finish the stock. Eg oil or lacquer
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 17 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

Ouch, another way would be cleaning up the ridges, and shaping another peice of wood to fit the chunk missing screw it together with some fine thin screws and cut off both ends of the screw and polish fill from there, kinda like a enfiels repair
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Shorti85 » 17 Jun 2016, 6:03 pm

No I don't have the piece. I broke it out shooting one night some how. I'm not overt concerned with how it looks when fixed so I might just patch it up myself thanks guys
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jun 2016, 7:21 pm

Not to be a PITA but I am wondering why it broke and I readily admit to knowing nothing about bedding that kind of furniture.

Could it be that the leading edges of the butt (see, I know nothing about nomenclature) took the recoil, resulting in in a crack and the eventual breakage? Should the recoil be transferred to the centre of the pistol grip, instead? If the L Es should not contact the action, should the unbroken side of the grip be checked for contact?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 05 Jul 2016, 2:42 pm

AusTac wrote:Ouch, another way would be cleaning up the ridges, and shaping another peice of wood to fit the chunk missing screw it together with some fine thin screws and cut off both ends of the screw and polish fill from there, kinda like a enfiels repair

That's probably how I'd tackle it.

Only loss might be the checkering, unless you want to buy a toolset you're not likely to use again?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 2:35 pm

Looks like it had some side-ways pressure applied. Someone sit on it? Agree with above comment, cut into the stock so that you have a good flat surface for your repair piece and for the glue to bond well. Pinning will also help. Common repair on antique lever guns, theory is from horses rolling on them while in a scabbard. They are commonly found with rawhide wrapped around the wrist as well. It is stretched and sewn on wet and shrinks tight when it drys.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Shorti85 » 06 Jul 2016, 4:05 pm

Thanks for help guys much appreciated
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria