Need good gunsmith for 303 wildcat work

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Need good gunsmith for 303 wildcat work

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jun 2016, 1:00 pm

Hoping someone knows...I'm in the process of collecting/restoring Aussie wildcat rifles, and am running into a few obstacles. Because of the decline in popularity, 303 based wildcat chambered rifles, all of the gunsmiths i have been in touch with don't have anything in the way of reamers etc for these older calibres. Specifically, I have a SMLE barrel that is chambered in 22 wasp, that I would like reamed out to the full length 303-22 that was once commercially offered. I then want this fitted to a nice Lithgow sporter that has a shot out standard 303 barrel. It would be e very straight forward job for a good smith with the correct tools. I have simplex reloading dies etc, but just need someone to do the work. Any suggestions, ideas, leads etc would be very much appreciated., cheers :)
Member-Deleted

Re: Need good gunsmith for 303 wildcat work

Post by Heckler303 » 22 Jun 2016, 7:35 am

Still no replies........must be harder to find a good gunsmith than I thought....
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2016, 8:36 am

Can't somebody like Clymer cut you a reamer to match the dies you're using?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 01 Jul 2016, 9:02 am

Contact Keith at Sprinter Firearms in SA, he does a lot of rebarrelling work

http://www.whitepages.com.au/sprinter-a ... -10414860B

Have you tried Rolf Hey at Acme?

Baz.

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au/Rolfs ... vices.html
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 01 Jul 2016, 11:03 am

You have deeper pockets than me. I can see mucho $$$ disappearing in this particular endeavour. All that money would buy you a rifle already done wouldn't it? I admire your quest to have something different though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 01 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm

Try RDT products in NSW. I'd say there's a few thousand reamers in that workshop and many of them would be 50 years old or more

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jul 2016, 8:35 pm

Supaduke wrote:You have deeper pockets than me. I can see mucho $$$ disappearing in this particular endeavour. All that money would buy you a rifle already done wouldn't it? I admire your quest to have something different though.
I doubt if my pockets are much deeper than anyone else with a mortgage and putting kids through Uni, but its nothing to do with having about the quest for something different. I'm just a fan of Australiana, and once upon a time, we were innovators and actually made things here, instead of buying ready made or chinese clones. For a while, 303 'wildcats" were actually commercial, with factory made ammo and locally made barrels, and there were a large number of gunsmiths who made fine hunting and target rifles out of army surplus. Its a nostalgia thing for me as well, as I grew up with these sorts of rifles around me, as my father was a professional shooter, and owned his own Gunshop with hundreds of different types of firearms. None of these camo painted pardus lever guns and :tactical"BS that seems to adorn every second page of Sporting Shooter magazine. What was once common place because no-one could afford a "new" sporting or hunting rifle has become a relic or a curiosity, and so many modern day shooters and hunters are simply unaware of our rich and varied shooting history. As it turns out, I found a good gunsmith who has the reamers that I need, and only charged me $85.00 for the job, so all is well. Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts on this thread :)
Member-Deleted

Post by Supaduke » 14 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

I will concede that was way less than I thought it would cost you. Congrats man, hope it's a straight shooter
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 15 Jul 2016, 11:19 am

G'day Aradour, can you let us know the name of the 'smith that did the work?

It's always good to let others know if you find somebody who is good and reasonably priced.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 15 Jul 2016, 9:36 pm

Interesting how you refer to the "simple" days of Australian shooting history....what you say is so so true. It is with interest I find your need for "Australian wild cat 303 based"... Not many people around these days that go down that road.....who is your "smithy"...and what are we building...??....

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jul 2016, 12:08 pm

Supaduke wrote:I will concede that was way less than I thought it would cost you. Congrats man, hope it's a straight shooter
No Problem :) Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jul 2016, 12:18 pm

Bazooker wrote:G'day Aradour, can you let us know the name of the 'smith that did the work?

It's always good to let others know if you find somebody who is good and reasonably priced.

Baz.
He's a fellow called Alan Swan, based in Brisbane. Easy to talk to over the phone, and is up front about spending money wisely and not wasting it on questionable projects. He's on the internet, plus has a mobile that he answers when not busy. Quoted me around $500.00 for a a brand new custom barrel in 303-22, which is pretty good, although $85.00 plus postage for a chamber job is very inexpensive. I'll get back to him when I weigh everything up....
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jul 2016, 12:37 pm

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Interesting how you refer to the "simple" days of Australian shooting history....what you say is so so true. It is with interest I find your need for "Australian wild cat 303 based"... Not many people around these days that go down that road.....who is your "smithy"...and what are we building...??....

Collector 1
Thanks for the interest in this area as well. I guess I'm just picking up where I left off 30 years ago.....Over the next few years I want to experiment with a number of 303 wildcats, as I never got to spend the time I wanted to with them; currently I have a number of Enfields, both full wood matching number collectors rifles, and some No 1Mk 3 and NO.4 sporters. I also have a P14 that was professionally sporterised in the late 50's early sixties by a Gunsmith in Sydney, and reamed out to 303 Improved ( or EPPs/magnum/ackley depending on what country you are in). Best sporting rifle I have ever owned, deadly accurate and a dream to reload for. With the P14 action, it has very long case life and marked increase in performance over the the standard 303 British, which as we all know is no slouch to start with.

I also have all the simplex full length vice dies to form 303-270, 303-25 and 303-22, and a good supply of cases. Throw in cast bullet molds, and there are many years of experimenting, trial and error and a lot of fun over the the long wet cold Tassie winters. I also found a local smith in Launceston called Andrew who works under the name "Wildcat Prescision", who is very good to deal with and has a fondness for .303's.

Sure, I could buy a new rifle and head down the range, or dress up in camo and pretend that fallow deer are big game, but I'll leave that for the blokes who who want to do that...to each his own, cheers ;)
Member-Deleted

Post by Tripod » 16 Jul 2016, 1:33 pm

I have used Allan Swan many times and used to live close to him which made life easy.Currently have a few wildcats waiting to go to him.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by gunnerjacky » 30 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm

No knowledge in this respect.... I always prefer to buy a new gun with all its part checked.
Learning firearms from Boston Firearms Training School
gunnerjacky
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Varmtr » 12 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm

With any 303 based wildcat to get to best out of it a P14 action would be the go. It's what I'm using for my build.

Wildcat Precision

Andrew Cowling

Telephone: 0437 105 886
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 12 Aug 2016, 12:53 pm

aradoar234 wrote:
Supaduke wrote:You have deeper pockets than me. I can see mucho $$$ disappearing in this particular endeavour. All that money would buy you a rifle already done wouldn't it? I admire your quest to have something different though.
I doubt if my pockets are much deeper than anyone else with a mortgage and putting kids through Uni, but its nothing to do with having about the quest for something different. I'm just a fan of Australiana, and once upon a time, we were innovators and actually made things here, instead of buying ready made or chinese clones. For a while, 303 'wildcats" were actually commercial, with factory made ammo and locally made barrels, and there were a large number of gunsmiths who made fine hunting and target rifles out of army surplus. Its a nostalgia thing for me as well, as I grew up with these sorts of rifles around me, as my father was a professional shooter, and owned his own Gunshop with hundreds of different types of firearms. None of these camo painted pardus lever guns and :tactical"BS that seems to adorn every second page of Sporting Shooter magazine. What was once common place because no-one could afford a "new" sporting or hunting rifle has become a relic or a curiosity, and so many modern day shooters and hunters are simply unaware of our rich and varied shooting history. As it turns out, I found a good gunsmith who has the reamers that I need, and only charged me $85.00 for the job, so all is well. Thanks to everyone who offered their thoughts on this thread :)

I understand where you are coming from Supaduke. I'm only a young fella but sometimes I wish I had been around for the glory days of the Australian firearm industry :D
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 12 Aug 2016, 8:21 pm

Pre 96' were the good old days. You could have what you wanted rather than what you are allowed. The anti gun movement hadn't really gathered any real momentum yet either. Mind you, on the flip side, research was much harder back then pre-Internet. No forums, just magazines and guys you knew to answer questions. Often you would buy a gun because it was what they had on the shelf to look at. After market parts were virtually non existent.

I remember trying to buy a torch attachment for my Remington 870 pump and every store I went to basically laughed at me like I was some sort of wannabe swat member. Camo was only from the disposal store and it was basically American woodland, British (Falklands era) , Sth Vietnam tiger or khaki. And somehow we survived without a mobile phone. Military surp rifles were at giveaway prices, AR-15's were bloody expensive and rare. SLR's were slightly better value. No inspections, less red tape, was certainly simpler times. I miss them
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 13 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm

Supaduke wrote:Pre 96' were the good old days. You could have what you wanted rather than what you are allowed. The anti gun movement hadn't really gathered any real momentum yet either. Mind you, on the flip side, research was much harder back then pre-Internet. No forums, just magazines and guys you knew to answer questions. Often you would buy a gun because it was what they had on the shelf to look at. After market parts were virtually non existent.

I remember trying to buy a torch attachment for my Remington 870 pump and every store I went to basically laughed at me like I was some sort of wannabe swat member. Camo was only from the disposal store and it was basically American woodland, British (Falklands era) , Sth Vietnam tiger or khaki. And somehow we survived without a mobile phone. Military surp rifles were at giveaway prices, AR-15's were bloody expensive and rare. SLR's were slightly better value. No inspections, less red tape, was certainly simpler times. I miss them

Ah man that'd be good
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jezz » 16 Aug 2016, 7:22 pm

Can't believe I missed this thread, I'm becoming more and more of a .303 Wildcat fan. Im collecting Lithgows at the moment but my next rifle will have to be one of the Sportco conversions on a Lithgow action with ammo reloaded in my Simplex press..... Cant get more Aussie then that.
Jezz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tank » 16 Aug 2016, 11:49 pm

Hey Arador,
Was there a necked up variation?
I reckon something in .375?
Always thought something along this line based on a Jungle Carbine would have been the mustard on pigs.
Good luck with it all.
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 28 Aug 2016, 9:56 am

I've seen and used I might add a 303/375........it was on a No1mk3 action and was down right scary.....but the concept has been successfully done on m17/p14 actions with great results....but we are talking 50 years ago.....

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing