For the 303 fanatics

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

For the 303 fanatics

Post by AusTac » 22 Jul 2016, 9:12 am

Apparently i posted this in Aus gun laws without realizing lol

Ok, so i've picked up a new to me 303 in pretty shmick condition besides the headspace, she barely scraped by on a field guage so is good for now, but with the bolt head already being at 3 whats the go with getting this fixed? Is it all barrel or receiver/action problem?

Once this is identified i'll probably save save save and send it up to t-bone shipwrighting for some tlc

Opinions? Experiences

Cheers
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: For the 303 fanatics

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Jul 2016, 9:26 am

If it Gauges ok.... then she's ok...
Wear/stretching perhaps causes...

If you do want to reduce the tolerance other than the bolt, you'll need to get a smidge taken off the threads, but there are improvised fixes, like placing a spacer inside to rim and fire-forming, then neck sizing only after.... this will hold the round against the bolt face while firing and prevent separation...(rim off the bolt face/ pressure holds most of case against chamber walls while pushing the end towards the bolt and stretching until it detaches/separates).

Have you shot the rifle yet?
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusTac » 22 Jul 2016, 10:13 am

Yeah shes been through a bit i reckon, possibly even corossive ammo... bore is ok though.

As for the threads thing is that off the barrel to set it back a bit?

It'll be fine for now but not to sure how much the chamber has left in it

I've thought about spacing with an oring or something but that sounds like a real pain for every round.

And haven't shot it yet, still waiting on some parts to fix a few things up
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm

Shoot and see how it goes...

Set back barrel yep.

Spacer is only for initial fire forming each round.....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jul 2016, 1:00 pm

AusTac wrote:Apparently i posted this in Aus gun laws without realizing lol

Ok, so i've picked up a new to me 303 in pretty shmick condition besides the headspace, she barely scraped by on a field guage so is good for now, but with the bolt head already being at 3 whats the go with getting this fixed? Is it all barrel or receiver/action problem?

Once this is identified i'll probably save save save and send it up to t-bone shipwrighting for some tlc

Opinions? Experiences

Cheers

If you're reloading for it then headspace shouldn't matter at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2016, 9:03 pm

Depends on the model as well. On the no.4 lee Enfield, the bolt head comes in different sizes ( you mentioned 3) and is easily rectified by going up a number. A number 4 does exist but they are uncommon, and No4 Mk1 and Mk 2 bolts are slightly different again. If it is a nice Lithgow or BSA No 1 Mk3, chances are the headspace will be more than serviceable if she "scrapes by" on the field gauge. These rifles were built with some tolerance in the chamber as well, to account for battle use, which has been a source of conflict for and against since about 1895, although the trench warfare of 1914-18 should have settled it. Another angle is your choice of cases for reloading. Hornady has the thickest brass in my experience of reloading for the SMLE since about 1975, and in some of my Lee Enfields with dubious headspace I just measured the rim thickness on the cases and made different batches to suit i.e thicker rims for excessive headspace, thinner for tight etc. It is a time consuming but effective way around it.

A lot of pure BS has been published and spoken by people who should know better, but the accuracy potential for the Lee Enfield is just as achievable as it is with most quality firearms. The British army used them as a sniper rifle up until the mid 90's, and Bisley and Queens shoots scores speak for themselves. On the darker side, the Taliban still out-range US soldiers regularly enough to be problematic, and the Russians found that their AK74's were out classed in Afghanistan time and time again. If the bore is good, the trigger smoothed and stock properly tensioned and fitted, your already 3/4 of the way there. Find a handload it likes, try the proper size .312 diameter 150 gr soft points that Hornady makes instead of the poorer fitting .311's that are made by Speer and Sierra, and try both Ar2206 and 2208 to see what she prefers.

Headspace does play a part in accuracy of course, but you can substantially improve the rifles performance by some patient tweaking. I'm a great fan of these rifles so please feel free to PM me if you would like any help, cheers, Michael
Member-Deleted

Return to Gunsmithing