DIY Pillars.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

DIY Pillars.

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Aug 2016, 2:32 pm

I'm still working on my 6SLR Build and I was going to glass bed my GRS stock but decided I should pillar bed it first up. I have a piece of 1/2 Stanless Rod. Should I get it cut on a lathe to get perfect surfaces and length and action screw alignment? Or should I just do it myself and get them drilled on a lathe?
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: DIY Pillars.

Post by Supaduke » 05 Aug 2016, 2:39 pm

Another suggestion is use an aluminium or carbon fibre arrow cut to size.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Aug 2016, 3:30 pm

May as well get them cut to size. You are going to have to get them turned to size anyhoo... Also , don't forget to have some grooves or something cut into them so the have a positively 'keyed' surface for the epoxy to get a good mechanical bond to.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 05 Aug 2016, 5:34 pm

Yep fair call. Recon I'll take it to my local engineering shop.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2016, 8:55 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 06 Aug 2016, 9:18 am

yup... got mine from brownells....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Varmtr » 12 Aug 2016, 12:19 pm

made my pillars out of 12mm S/S bolts that I drilled out. Then drill the stock and ran a tap through it with the threads on the bolt and in the timber gives are greater surface area for the epoxy to hold.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 12 Aug 2016, 2:22 pm

Varmtr wrote:made my pillars out of 12mm S/S bolts that I drilled out. Then drill the stock and ran a tap through it with the threads on the bolt and in the timber gives are greater surface area for the epoxy to hold.

That's a good idea. I've just taken it to my local engineer and he's going to lathe them up and drill them on the lathe to make sure it's all sweet. Told him to machine some grooves into the outside of them too.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing