Rebarrelling a No5

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rebarrelling a No5

Post by Download » 27 Aug 2016, 12:34 pm

I picked up a Jungle Carbine a few months back for a steal at only $400. Naturally, for that price there was something wrong with it. It was only when I got it home a few weeks later that I realised some knob had taken an angle grinder to the bayonet lug (cutting marks still visible!) and then when I took it to the range I found every round keyholed into the target.

So, now I need a new barrel and flash hider. Lawrence Ordnance were selling genuine barrel/flash hider assemblies but they're now out and won't be stocking any more (I should have bought one as soon as I knew the barrel was stuffed) and now no one has them. Looking online the suggestion seems to be that I buy a No4 barrel and cut that down.

Does anyone see any major problem with that idea? Does anyone know where I should buy a No4 barrel? I'm having trouble finding a source for them in Australia.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Rebarrelling a No5

Post by AusTac » 27 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

Try t bone shipwriting in sydney, he may be able to source a legit or repro for you, some knob did that to my no4

Let us know how you go!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm

The bayo lug is attached to the flash hider, can be replaced...
Is the barrel worn out? might be another reason for the key-holing, you sure its the rifle doing it?? ;)

Pics? is it a No4 / No1 converted or original No5/or no.6(less likely)
Pics...did I mention :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pete1 » 27 Aug 2016, 10:45 pm

$400 bucks is alright hopefully it doesn't cost to much to get another barrel.
Yes would love to see some pics.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Download » 27 Aug 2016, 11:12 pm

AusTac wrote:Try t bone shipwriting in sydney, he may be able to source a legit or repro for you, some knob did that to my no4

Let us know how you go!

$650 for a No4 barrel. A No5 would probably be more as a special order. I can get a Walther No4 barrel on used guns cheaper and at the time I thought what was asked was very steep.

<<Genesis93>> wrote:The bayo lug is attached to the flash hider, can be replaced...
Is the barrel worn out? might be another reason for the key-holing, you sure its the rifle doing it?? ;)

Pics? is it a No4 / No1 converted or original No5/or no.6(less likely)
Pics...did I mention :)

It's an original. It has the correct serial number format and the lightening cuts on the barrel and receiver. It was also factory ammo with 0.311" projectiles - I measured. Not sure what else I could do to make it keyhole.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Download » 02 Sep 2016, 3:26 pm

Anyone seen any flash hiders for sale? The only place I've found so far is Apex Guns in Florida and they won't ship overseas. Bough myself a No4 barrel as well yesterday.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Sep 2016, 5:00 pm

G'day Download,
Be aware that flash hiders for the No5 are available in 2 different sizes, one for the original barrel and one for a series of conversions with No4 barrels. Check with the seller before you buy. You don't want to have your barrel profiled to the original .590" diameter only to find you can only get the .670" conversion flash hider, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Download » 03 Sep 2016, 7:01 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Download,
Be aware that flash hiders for the No5 are available in 2 different sizes, one for the original barrel and one for a series of conversions with No4 barrels. Check with the seller before you buy. You don't want to have your barrel profiled to the original .590" diameter only to find you can only get the .670" conversion flash hider, Cheers.

Yeah, I found that out just before I bought the barrel. Glad I didn't pay the guy to have it cut down.

Managed to find a flash hider in Canada. Cost me a fortune to get and a fortune to ship. Does anyone know the dimensions of the lightening cuts on the barrel and how they were originally cut? Given how much I've spend I want the whole thing to look as original as possible.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 11 Sep 2016, 8:14 pm

Try sprinter firearms he does a lot of Lee Enfield stuff
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tripod » 12 Sep 2016, 7:20 am

Can you not measure the lightening cuts on the original barrel ?
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by pete1 » 12 Sep 2016, 10:32 am

If its a Lithgow Lee Enfield they ay have original dimensions at the museum, may be wroth emailing them. If made overseas then they may still be able to help get dimensions i don't know how much the rifles varied in design from the different factories.

http://lithgowsafmuseum.org.au/
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Download » 13 Sep 2016, 12:33 am

Tripod wrote:Can you not measure the lightening cuts on the original barrel ?

Their shape and location makes them difficult to measure

pete1 wrote:If its a Lithgow Lee Enfield they ay have original dimensions at the museum, may be wroth emailing them. If made overseas then they may still be able to help get dimensions i don't know how much the rifles varied in design from the different factories.

Lithgow never made No5s. That said, it's still worth asking.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

Download wrote:

pete1 wrote:If its a Lithgow Lee Enfield they ay have original dimensions at the museum, may be wroth emailing them. If made overseas then they may still be able to help get dimensions i don't know how much the rifles varied in design from the different factories.

They did a few 'experimental' based on the Smellie (as opposed to the No.4) called No.6 (or was it No.7??)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by pete1 » 13 Sep 2016, 6:14 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Download wrote:

They did a few 'experimental' based on the Smellie (as opposed to the No.4) called No.6 (or was it No.7??)

I will say i'm no expert on Lee Enfield, but still like them and will be corrected.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Sep 2016, 6:09 am

Those experimental rifles , if you can find one, are worth big, big dollars now days.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Sep 2016, 10:57 am

Supaduke wrote:Those experimental rifles , if you can find one, are worth big, big dollars now days.

Couple hundred made I understand, 2 styles, 2 barrel lengths, XP serial number prefix, (X prefix is different experiment with SS barrel)

There are no less than THREE on offer at the October Auction; XP12, XP75, XP262.....you're bound to pick up a bargain, indication 10,000 to 14,000 Australian dollars...wonder if these rifles will stay local :thumbsdown:
[ Items 229,230,561 ]

Standard Lithgow No.1MkIII* ;
Lithgow No.1 Shortened and Lightened [XP12, item 229] ;
Lithgow No.1 Shortened and Lightened [XP75 item561] ;
Lithgow No.6 [XP262 item 230] ;
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Gunsmithing