Bell and Carlson

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Bell and Carlson

Post by 5Tom » 06 Sep 2016, 6:33 pm

So I'm considering a new stock to replace the standard synthetic stock on my Tikka T3 SS Lite.

At first I was going to get a Boyds, then purchase some pillars and get a proper bedding job on it. Of course, it might cost a few hundred in doing so, however I then seen the Bell and Carlson Tikka T3 Sporter stocks with the alloy bedding block installed and it also has a recoil lug designed into the chassis.

Since I plan on shooting off a bipod, the moulded chassis rail will definitely help with rigidity and the alloy block will save the effort of pillar bedding since the action screws are directly screwed in to the chassis. Who knows if bedding the action is even needed.

Considering the price is more, is this a better investment?

Thanks
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Bell and Carlson

Post by Gwion » 06 Sep 2016, 8:24 pm

What's the price difference and which would you prefer?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by 5Tom » 06 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

Boyd stock for $215
Pillar bedding kit about $45
Gunsmith costs unknown yet but I wouldn't be suprised it's about $200+. Last quote from LGS was about $215 I think.

I know some of you will suggest bedding myself and there are plenty of tutorials online, but I'd rather get someone with experience to do it right.

The B.C stock will cost about $470 and should just drop straight in.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 06 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

Boyds looks a little nicer, but the alloy block chassis system in the B.C is something I can't knock back considering the price I'd be paying either way I go.

Anyone had good results with a Bell and Calsin stock? Consistency is something that I'm after whether in the field or at the range.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 07 Sep 2016, 7:20 am

Looks like the B&C is the go. Plenty of owners online speak very well of them.

Mind you, for best fit, even an alloy block would benefit from skim bedding. Machining tolerances in both action and alloy block allow for variance from rig to rig. If you want best possible accuracy, a skim bed job would still be the go but that's not as much work as pillar and full 'glass' bedding.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Norton » 13 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm

If you're investing good money in a stock I'd go all the way and bed it too.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 24 Sep 2016, 8:58 pm

so I finally took the Tikka to the range today. Now I heard about how the alloy bedding needs some "breaking in" for the action to settle in place before it starts to shoot best. I shot 15 of my 70gr handloads, 20 x Federal 100gr and 20 x 80gr federal factory ammunition to see how the new stock affects the different bullet weights. To be honest, it shot very average, nothing to say there was an improvement.

Now, I'm aware hand loads are tuned to the rifle and any changes to the rifle will affect the harmonics and groups. I'm going to assume this has happened and will need to adjust my hand loads to suit.

One fellow said to me today that torque settings for the action screws can be very finicky with alloy bedded stocks. Seems I may have to mess around with that at some point.

I ripped a bit of target paper and slid it down the barrel channel while the barrel was hot. Granted the paper is much thicker than normal A4 or a currency note, but the barrel doesn't sit in the center yet the paper still slides up to the shoulder of the barrel.

hmm
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 24 Sep 2016, 9:38 pm

Get it skim bedded with good quality compound. Give it 36hr to cure, torque to about 55"/lb, then star load development.

Don't discount yourself as a limiting factor in testing as well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Gunsmithing