Can a gunsmith in Australia make a magazine?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Out of interest can any gunsmith in Australia make magaz

Post by VICHunter » 12 Sep 2016, 11:03 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:This beast of a thing, Vektor H5, it takes standard Galil magazines which cant be purchased in less then 12 rounds :/

I wonder (haven't checked the legalities) could a dealer/smith order in a factory 12-shot magazine and fill/modify the base to lower the capacity to 10 rounds?

I would think that's a more effective alternative to making one from scratch (assuming it's possible).

I think I remember from past conversations somewhere if the capacity of a magazine is reduced by a gunsmith it is ok for cat B.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Yep they make the adapters but for the semi auto Galil, they won't fit in this Vektor as it has a different receiver, that's if I was able to important them in the first place which I can't due to customs being customs.

Nope even if they are shortened th still count as the original capacity.

Those mags are beyond impossible to find, like on a whole other level or rarity.

I assumed you couldn't import the adapter, but it should be a fairly easy job to make one.
Whether that would allow you to keep the Vektor though I don't know, perhaps if it were welded in place? But the rifle seems to have some rarity and collector value so I wouldn't be wanting to modify it just to be able to shoot it.
I would just keep it on a Collectors licence as you aren't allowed to shoot it then anyway.

How do they know whether or not you have any magazines of any capacity? If IMI produced 5-round mags for it I can't see why you can't own it while you try to source such magazines for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 12 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Yep they make the adapters but for the semi auto Galil, they won't fit in this Vektor as it has a different receiver, that's if I was able to important them in the first place which I can't due to customs being customs.

Nope even if they are shortened th still count as the original capacity.

Those mags are beyond impossible to find, like on a whole other level or rarity.

I assumed you couldn't import the adapter, but it should be a fairly easy job to make one.
Whether that would allow you to keep the Vektor though I don't know, perhaps if it were welded in place? But the rifle seems to have some rarity and collector value so I wouldn't be wanting to modify it just to be able to shoot it.
I would just keep it on a Collectors licence as you aren't allowed to shoot it then anyway.

How do they know whether or not you have any magazines of any capacity? If IMI produced 5-round mags for it I can't see why you can't own it while you try to source such magazines for it.

I can keep the Vektor no matter what, I have a 10 shot magazine for it, I just wanted more haha. Yea it's rare but it's an amazing shooter so I'm not going to stuff it away and keep it in a safe.

I can own it, and they don't.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 12 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

VICHunter wrote:
Mr.Seacucumber wrote:This beast of a thing, Vektor H5, it takes standard Galil magazines which cant be purchased in less then 12 rounds :/

I wonder (haven't checked the legalities) could a dealer/smith order in a factory 12-shot magazine and fill/modify the base to lower the capacity to 10 rounds?

I would think that's a more effective alternative to making one from scratch (assuming it's possible).

I think I remember from past conversations somewhere if the capacity of a magazine is reduced by a gunsmith it is ok for cat B.

I asked licensing and registration a few days ago and it's if it was a 30 round magazine it's always a 30 round magazine. It's pretty stupid.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2016, 5:15 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:I asked licensing and registration a few days ago and it's if it was a 30 round magazine it's always a 30 round magazine. It's pretty stupid.

How would they know a shortened mag was ever anything other than a ten-round mag?

But, if for some reason you ever got pulled up for having a modified "twelve-round mag" I would think it'd be sufficient to demonstrate that it only holds ten rounds.
Might be worth discussing it with one of the firearm lawyers to apply for a chief commissioner's permit for a prescribed item (under 57(2)(b)) due to the value and rarity of the rifle to allow you to modify the mags to hold ten-rounds?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 12 Sep 2016, 5:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mr.Seacucumber wrote:I asked licensing and registration a few days ago and it's if it was a 30 round magazine it's always a 30 round magazine. It's pretty stupid.

How would they know a shortened mag was ever anything other than a ten-round mag?

But, if for some reason you ever got pulled up for having a modified "twelve-round mag" I would think it'd be sufficient to demonstrate that it only holds ten rounds.
Might be worth discussing it with one of the firearm lawyers to apply for a chief commissioner's permit for a prescribed item (under 57(2)(b)) due to the value and rarity of the rifle to allow you to modify the mags to hold ten-rounds?

How much would that cost do you think?
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Sep 2016, 5:59 pm

Thats the thing with Vicpol.... THAT MAKE IT UP as they go along......what a L.O.S.

Its not 'illegal' to own unless in combination with a firearm... so technically your mate could import or otherwise acuire a mag, modify it to the appropriate capacity then give possession to you..

If it holds 10 rounds.... then it holds 10 rounds...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 12 Sep 2016, 6:15 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:How much would that cost do you think?

Couldn't even guess but you did say that cost wasn't a problem.

I was looking through the Act though and I can't find any magazine capacity restriction on pump-action centre-fire rifles in there.

Cat A is airguns, non-semi-auto rimfire rifles, non-semi-auto or pump-action shotguns, combination shotgun/rimfire rifles.
Cat B is muzzle loading firearms, non-semi-auto centrefire rifles, combination shotgun/centrefire rifles, black powder cannons.
Cat C is semi-auto 10-round rimfire rifles, semi-auto and pump-action 5-round shotguns, tranquiliser guns.
Cat D is semi-auto 11+round rimfire rifles, semi-auto and pump-action 6+round shotguns, semi-auto centrefire rifles, firearms prescribed or declared by the Chief Commissioner.

Is magazine capacity restricted for pump-action rifles somewhere other than the Firearms Act?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 12 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mr.Seacucumber wrote:How much would that cost do you think?

Couldn't even guess but you did say that cost wasn't a problem.

I was looking through the Act though and I can't find any magazine capacity restriction on pump-action centre-fire rifles in there.

Cat A is airguns, non-semi-auto rimfire rifles, non-semi-auto or pump-action shotguns, combination shotgun/rimfire rifles.
Cat B is muzzle loading firearms, non-semi-auto centrefire rifles, combination shotgun/centrefire rifles, black powder cannons.
Cat C is semi-auto 10-round rimfire rifles, semi-auto and pump-action 5-round shotguns, tranquiliser guns.
Cat D is semi-auto 11+round rimfire rifles, semi-auto and pump-action 6+round shotguns, semi-auto centrefire rifles, firearms prescribed or declared by the Chief Commissioner.

Is magazine capacity restricted for pump-action rifles somewhere other than the Firearms Act?

It is a cat B centrefire rifle

haha a couple thousand is a problem, a couple of tens of thousand and I might run into issues with the misses, much harder to hide that amount of money spent haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 12 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

There is no restriction on 'fixed' magazines for pump action ie: tube mags

Detachable mags are restricted to 10 in vic.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 12 Sep 2016, 7:10 pm

Supaduke wrote:There is no restriction on 'fixed' magazines for pump action ie: tube mags

Detachable mags are restricted to 10 in vic.

Shame I cant weld it to the rifle and feed with stripper clips :/
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 17 Sep 2016, 3:44 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Seacucumber, I'm sure the Vector rifles, use AK-47 or SKK magazines?

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 17 Sep 2016, 5:27 pm

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Seacucumber, I'm sure the Vector rifles, use AK-47 or SKK magazines?

Nope, it uses Galil magazines

Doh!
Homer
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Sep 2016, 6:16 pm

Isnt the Galil based on a rifle based on an AK??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 17 Sep 2016, 6:55 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Isnt the Galil based on a rifle based on an AK??

Yep but it's far enough down the line where the magazines no longer fit, not that I would give it a shot if I had some.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blackjack » 17 Sep 2016, 8:50 pm

Hey sydor - do you have contact details for David Waters? The email addresses on the website aren't working.
Blackjack
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 17 Sep 2016, 10:32 pm

Blackjack wrote:Hey sydor - do you have contact details for David Waters? The email addresses on the website aren't working.

I just emailed him on the website with the sales email. Nice guy.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ICEng » 19 Oct 2016, 7:00 pm

Nik (head gunsmith) here from Ignition Custom Engineering.

We can help out, we are full D class manufacturing gunsmiths and do plenty of mag conversions for just about anything.

We can also import if something isn't readily available here.

Give me a call tomorrow and I can talk you through some options 0402 219 831 or email sales@iceng.com.au
Ignition Custom Engineering - manufacuring gunsmiths & firearm services
www.iceng.com.au | Ph 0402219831 | sales@iceng.com.au
ICEng
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing