Bit sus on bolt oil I was given

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Bit sus on bolt oil I was given

Post by fawksel » 16 Nov 2013, 5:44 am

I went to my LGS for some bolt oil and he gave me his recommendation.

I didn't know any better so took it.

Looking at it though with everything broken down, it seems like normal wipe-on protective oil where the bolt insides is muuuch thicker.

Should it be this different? Have I got the wrong thing?

Don't really know what the norm here is to expect.

Thanks.
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Bit sus on bolt oil I was given

Post by Hardcast » 16 Nov 2013, 9:11 am

"Looking at it though with everything broken down, it seems like normal wipe-on protective oil where the bolt insides is muuuch thicker."

Do you mean, with the bolt stripped, the oil is leaving a thick goo in side.?

Some oils do this, they seem to evaporate, for want of a better word, leaving a residue behind.
These are best left for when you decide to store the rifle for long periods.
If you think it is too much, get rid of it as it may start to build up, and create a problem with the firing pin or the extractor spring.

I use Inox, I tried Lanox and that seemed to leave a residue, I have mates that swear by Balistol and I do use it on the B/P rifles.
I also tried Lanotech but it left a strong residue, an old friend of mine uses, exclusively, sewing machine oil,.................. so you see there are plenty of options, none of these (except Balistol) are firearm specific, but they are all lubricants.
Actually, I think Balistol may have been invented by the German Army, and provided to the troops as a 'do it all' for coughs colds, wounds, and guns.

Just find one that is firearm friendly, stays put, and is easily removed.
Inox doesn't like rubber, but I am aware of that, and don't have any rubber on my guns.

Just don't over oil your guns, an oily rag will do most of it, and a little squirt from time to time on the bolt.
Store them muzzle down if you can, so oil doesn't run back through the action and down onto your lovely timber stock leaving a stain.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by fawksel » 16 Nov 2013, 3:01 pm

Hardcast wrote:Do you mean, with the bolt stripped, the oil is leaving a thick goo in side.?
Some oils do this, they seem to evaporate, for want of a better word, leaving a residue behind.
These are best left for when you decide to store the rifle for long periods.
If you think it is too much, get rid of it as it may start to build up, and create a problem with the firing pin or the extractor spring.

Hi Hardcast,

Yep, when I disassembled the bolt the factory oil was much darker/thicker.

The new stuff just seems like a surface protection one by comparison, doesn't seem like it would cling all up in the spring and to the moving bolt etc.

I will look into some others like you've suggested.

Thanks.
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by greyghost » 17 Nov 2013, 8:21 am

Look up some bolt "grease" rather an oil.

That's probably what you're after.
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing