CCL Gunstock Oil

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

CCL Gunstock Oil

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

Resumed work on a project a week ago. After filling and staining, the oil was applied. Instructions say to wait 30 to 45 minutes for it to turn tacky, then buff. The oil is not going tacky and although the finish looks nice after buffing on a mop in a drill, I am wondering why the "tack" has disappeared. Does it need it? Should something be added to bring it back?
Thanks in advance :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: CCL Gunstock Oil

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Oct 2016, 2:32 pm

Fooked if I know why it's not tacky, I never read the instructions when I applied it too my firearms stocks, I just put it on and rubbed it in by hand and put them back in the safe when I was satisfied how they looked (they came up great by the way) and I just put a dab on every now and then to keep em fed, so far so good and I love the low sheen it gives to them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

I'm moving away from this product.

It's bloody hard work and stil doesn't give any protection to 'the elements'.

A hint of rain and the stock is spotty !

I'm toying with the idea, of having a poly finish sprayed over the oil.
Some say that it's possible - others, well ...
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm

I put some more on the Sako and Brno yesterday after reading this and it doesn't appear to get tacky on either of them, again I applied a small amount then rubbed/massaged it in with my hands.

I wonder if the fact that your stock is bare has anything to do with what's going on with yours? I'd imagine it would soak it up pretty quick too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Oct 2016, 4:01 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:I'm moving away from this product.

It's bloody hard work and stil doesn't give any protection to 'the elements'.

A hint of rain and the stock is spotty !

I'm toying with the idea, of having a poly finish sprayed over the oil.
Some say that it's possible - others, well ...

I'll have to see what happens with mine when it gets a bit of water on it, I did notice my beretta got a bit spotty when wet a while back after I got it back from Joe Cameleri after some stock work so he may have put some on it.

I will have to do a little test on the Brno to see what happens :drinks:

Edit: just did the test and it was fine, no water marks evident on the Brno :unknown: Next time I get the shotgun out I will see how the water effects that. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 19 Oct 2016, 4:14 pm

All my oil finished guns are
Spotty.

I hate it !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Oct 2016, 4:18 pm

Thanks for posting you blokes. BTW, I filled the on mine before staining etc in the hope that rain would not enter the grain. Did not think that the oil was soaking in much at all.
At the moment I am in the throes of trying to post a pic of it :wtf: :thumbsdown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 19 Oct 2016, 4:26 pm

I don't use this particular oil but have 2 rifles that i have finished with and oil/wax compound and they stand up well to a little moisture. I don't really use them in "rain" but a little drizzle just wipes off with no effect.

Possibly this oil may have a bit of shellac in it, which is well known to "frost" with moisture &/or direct heat.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2016, 7:52 pm

I recently stripped and oiled a 12g . I just followed what this bloke kurt recomended using boiled linseed oil. The result was very good.
There are 3 or 4 youtube videos, this is a link to just one.

https://youtu.be/iee3YqzvCvo
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing