Barrel Swap between Mauser and M70 Win

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Barrel Swap between Mauser and M70 Win

Post by Gwion » 13 Jan 2017, 10:44 pm

Two questions, then, seeing your knowledge is so far superior anyone else here:

1/ what do You call the parallel bit of the barrel commonly referred to as the Knox form?

2/ What exactly, other than asserting your superior collection of books, did your previous post constructively add to the discussion that warranted dredging it up almost 3 months after the last post was made???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by straightshooter » 14 Jan 2017, 7:46 am

Gwion
First an apology.
I have just reread my initial post and now realise I got a little confused with attribution of comments to the posters indicated in the quote.
My first comment should have referenced Malleefarmer.
My second comment should have referenced Bladeracer and not you.
The third comment was not directed at anybody specific.
Again my apologies to all.

As for your last post,
1/ In my experience, the commonly used term for the actual piece of barrel metal you refer to is a chamber reinforce. Knox form is a hand me down term inherited mainly from Lee Enfield armourers and I suppose by now you will have googled it to your satisfaction. When terminology is misused what is that telling you about the speaker?
2/ I don't do many posts on these forums and generally look for something interesting to read over breakfast, irrespective of how long ago it may have originally been posted, and if I think I can contribute something informative then I try, sometimes I hope successfully. I generally avoid the "what direction is my arse pointing" questions and leave them to the google an answer and then post types who often do an adequate job.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 15 Jan 2017, 11:57 am

Ok.
You just may get more engagement if you're not coming across as if you are just looking to trip everyone up on small technical trivialities.

In response to your previous post. A good gunsmith will point out the difficulties and costs involved and suggest other options for the client to make an informed decision as to how to proceed with a project.
If your gunsmith won't engage at that level then find one who will.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Gunsmithing