CZ 455 Trigger Mod

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

CZ 455 Trigger Mod

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Oct 2016, 2:23 pm

Been watching vids on U-tube about lightening the trigger pull on a CZ 455. All posters (there are several on the subject) hammered out the trigger retaining pins. But, all those pins had been burred-over at the ends to stop them working loose. That is, the ends are obviously bigger than the pin diameter and the holes in the trigger parts.
So what I'm getting at is, "Would hammering the pin-ends through the holes spoil/enlarge the holes and would the pin-ends be so damaged that they could not be relied on to stay put when re-installed?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: CZ 455 Trigger Mod

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2016, 2:37 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Been watching vids on U-tube about lightening the trigger pull on a CZ 455. All posters (there are several on the subject) hammered out the trigger retaining pins. But, all those pins had been burred-over at the ends to stop them working loose. That is, the ends are obviously bigger than the pin diameter and the holes in the trigger parts.
So what I'm getting at is, "Would hammering the pin-ends through the holes spoil/enlarge the holes and would the pin-ends be so damaged that they could not be relied on to stay put when re-installed?

If the ends of the pins have been annealed to be malleable like a rivet they shouldn't do too much damage. If they're entirely hardened they could make a mess of the action holes if you don't grind the head off first.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 22 Oct 2016, 2:42 pm

Have not watched or seen anything specific for the CZ 455 but the CZ 452 / Brno Model 2 etc you need to be very careful or you will crack / break the actual housing.

The Trigger Kits (YoDave, Lowey) come with instructions. I have seen some Video's where a cast is made to sit the Action in so as not to cause stress when driving pins out but all the one's I have seen suggest that the burred part be removed first by grinding it of with a Dremel.

The Pin that is at the front (Sear Pin) is replaced with a Roll Pin. The back one is just re-installed with a spring of selection. All the instructions I have seen/read say you will need to do all this several times perhaps to get the combination you want.

I took the safe way out with my Brno Model 2 and gave it to my Gunsmith together with the Lowey Kit. Turns out he made it too light so I had to pull it apart again and go one spring heavier.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Oct 2016, 12:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:. If they're entirely hardened they could make a mess of the action holes if you don't grind the head off first.

Better to play safe and grind off the heads,I think.

[quote="Apollo"The Pin that is at the front (Sear Pin) is replaced with a Roll Pin.[/quote]
Did not think of a roll pin. That's what you blokes are for :D But then, I would need a roll pin punch too, which would never be used again. Hmmm. This is getting complicated.

Thank you for your advice gentlemen. I will think on it :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 23 Oct 2016, 1:24 pm

The Roll Pin, Roll Pin Bushes (Sear Adjustment) and Springs all come in the Kit and in my view that is good value as you are using items intended for the job rather than trying to find gear that may not be so flash.

A Pin Punch or even a set of them are cheap, a few dollars. Or just make one from anything that is hardened steel around the correct size. I made mine from an Allan Key, just cut off the 90 degree bent end. A broken drill bit, even an ordinary nail. You don't need anything super strong as there isn't much tension required at all.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Oct 2016, 7:33 pm

Thanks Apollo :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

I can't remember how I did my Mod 2 Trigger now but the Lowey kits are great value and was easy to do, I've also used the leftover springs in other rifles and turned their crap triggers into excellent ones now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I can't remember how I did my Mod 2 Trigger now but the Lowey kits are great value and was easy to do, I've also used the leftover springs in other rifles and turned their crap triggers into excellent ones now.

Yep. I've sent 'em an email :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Oct 2016, 8:04 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I can't remember how I did my Mod 2 Trigger now but the Lowey kits are great value and was easy to do, I've also used the leftover springs in other rifles and turned their crap triggers into excellent ones now.

Yep. I've sent 'em an email :)

They are great people to deal with I found, super quick postage too - if I buy any more CZ's I will be getting another spring kit for sure. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 27 Oct 2016, 2:45 am

Hi there....

For my two bobs worth I recently put together a model 2 Bruno that I'm using for 50BR work. I fitted up a Rifle Basix CZ adjustable trigger without to much trouble.and it works beautifully. The pins your talking about knock out quiet easy with a small punch. The beauty of the Rifle Basix is it is a total replacement rig, pins out, old trigger assembly out, new assembly in. Adjustment is from so fine to quiet heavy, and is a simple procedure requiring a small Allen key which is supplied with the new unit. Cannot rate the replacement trigger group highly enough, especially if your after really light trigger pull.

collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Oct 2016, 4:14 am

COLLECTOR 1 wrote:Hi there....

For my two bobs worth I recently put together a model 2 Bruno that I'm using for 50BR work. I fitted up a Rifle Basix CZ adjustable trigger without to much trouble.and it works beautifully. The pins your talking about knock out quiet easy with a small punch. The beauty of the Rifle Basix is it is a total replacement rig, pins out, old trigger assembly out, new assembly in. Adjustment is from so fine to quiet heavy, and is a simple procedure requiring a small Allen key which is supplied with the new unit. Cannot rate the replacement trigger group highly enough, especially if your after really light trigger pull.

collector 1

Sounds like a nice little trigger group mate, what sort of $$ are they? I remember the old day where we used Springs out of Bic Pens I think it was to mod the triggers in the Brno's - worked very well too at turning a heavy trigger into a light one (Probably how the Yo'Dave Trigger spring replacements come about I suspect.

I've got a Rifle Basic Trigger in the Daughters Stumpy Savage (came with it) it's not bad but not as light as I'd like so might have a bit of a look at it and see if there's any more adjustment in it or not.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm

bfscott,
When I saw the 455 trigger spring, I just knew that no biro jobby that I ever saw would ever replace it :o Come to think of it, I might keep it for a spare hammer spring for the Mossy :twisted:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Oct 2016, 4:03 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:bfscott,
When I saw the 455 trigger spring, I just knew that no biro jobby that I ever saw would ever replace it :o Come to think of it, I might keep it for a spare hammer spring for the Mossy :twisted:

Yeah mate haven't looked at a 455 trigger, I wonder how diff it is to a Mod 2? The ol Biro Pen springs were the go back in the day to make the triggers lighter on Brno's. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 30 Oct 2016, 7:44 pm

The rifle basix is worth approx $120 these days.... and they are just SO good.... I've got this model 2 doing .30 Moa at 80 m and same hole stuff at 50.....They will drop straight in the the CZ... where I had to cut a slight amount out of the model 2's stock, just behind the trigger. Biro springs are sssooooooooo old school....lol

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing