Police and gun storage.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Police and gun storage.

Post by colinbentley » 22 Oct 2016, 4:10 pm

This is certainly not a complaint but merely an observation. Before I moved to Mildura just over a year ago I lived near Swan Hill and although I had 3 rifles legally lisenced and stored I never over a 10 year period had a visit from a member of the police force to confirm that I was doing the right thing. I have now had my first rifle registered (didn't own any for 2 years) for about 3 months and no visit. I choose to think that members of the force consider that anyone who goes to the trouble of getting a firearms license will do the right thing. God only knows it's so difficult to obtain a license in the first place why would you want jeapardise it.? Do other gun owners get visits and am I the exception ?
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Police and gun storage.

Post by deadkitty » 22 Oct 2016, 4:31 pm

You may be right re getting it all in place before getting the gun, safe storage etc...but don't count on it ... I'm still waiting for an inspection but I live miles from town and never had an inspection...maybe townies are treated differently, don't really know Cheers
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 22 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

I didn't have an inspection for over a decade. Then when I moved to a new area I got inspected within about a month of moving in. I guess I got flagged by the local cops in the new area. They were polite and friendly though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2016, 5:13 pm

colinbentley wrote:This is certainly not a complaint but merely an observation. Before I moved to Mildura just over a year ago I lived near Swan Hill and although I had 3 rifles legally lisenced and stored I never over a 10 year period had a visit from a member of the police force to confirm that I was doing the right thing. I have now had my first rifle registered (didn't own any for 2 years) for about 3 months and no visit. I choose to think that members of the force consider that anyone who goes to the trouble of getting a firearms license will do the right thing. God only knows it's so difficult to obtain a license in the first place why would you want jeapardise it.? Do other gun owners get visits and am I the exception ?

My guess is that you have history that removes you from the top of the list. No sense wasting their effort on somebody who owned firearms for ten years problem free when there are plenty of new shooters they can concentrate on.
I've bought twelve in two years since getting my Victorian licence and no inspection so far.
But I've been licenced since 1980 overall.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 22 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

Welcome aboard Colin, you're a lucky guy living in Mildura. The SSAA range at Cardross is a great facility catering to both rifle and pistol shooters. I was fortunate enough to be there in August for a comp and if not for family commitments I'd be back there first weekend in November.
I queried my local licensing officer when I had an inspection last year about how it works. Apparently in NSW there's a small team that do the inspections but with the shear number of licensed shooters it can take many years before they get round to you. I required the event number from the inspection as part of getting my ammunition purchase and sell permit otherwise I may never be inspected. The inspection took a couple hrs as the officer was a shooter and was curious about some of my firearms :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 22 Oct 2016, 7:36 pm

colinbentley wrote:This is certainly not a complaint but merely an observation. Before I moved to Mildura just over a year ago I lived near Swan Hill and although I had 3 rifles legally lisenced and stored I never over a 10 year period had a visit from a member of the police force to confirm that I was doing the right thing. I have now had my first rifle registered (didn't own any for 2 years) for about 3 months and no visit. I choose to think that members of the force consider that anyone who goes to the trouble of getting a firearms license will do the right thing. God only knows it's so difficult to obtain a license in the first place why would you want jeapardise it.? Do other gun owners get visits and am I the exception ?

Don't worry, you're number will come up.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by pete1 » 22 Oct 2016, 7:55 pm

I've never had a visit maybe its a country thing there not going to inspect, they might only be interested in inspecting the city areas.
Last edited by pete1 on 22 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 22 Oct 2016, 8:07 pm

pete1 wrote:I've never had a visit maybe its a country thing they might only be interested in the city areas.

I never had a visit until a couple years ago when I moved, then again when I moved a second time. When I say never in a couple of years I mean couple decades and I've almost always lived in rural areas.

When I spoke to the visiting police they told me that a change of address was likely to flag you for inspection.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Oct 2016, 10:25 pm

I never had one in Qld when I lived there, moved to NSW and had one within a Mth or so of Notifying of my change of address (I live in the country and one of the local police did my inspection.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2016, 5:54 am

Had firearms for 40 yrs and never been inspected. :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 23 Oct 2016, 6:50 am

Been here 11 years and only get inspected when I get a new firearm in. I have no problems with that and the local police are friendly and knew what they were talking about.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Oct 2016, 7:13 am

Bills Shed wrote:Been here 11 years and only get inspected when I get a new firearm in. I have no problems with that and the local police are friendly and knew what they were talking about.

Bill

Every time?? WTF? have they nothing to do down there?? If your storage hasnt changed, neither your address, thats just plain wasting yours and their time...

As I understand, the last inspection I had was the result of a 'directive' from above to inspect either all storages in a certain number of regions or a specific number, for 'compliance' purposes...like when they say "we're cracking down on firearms" and feel the need to find a number of firearms charges to bolster the crime stats....

Officially sanctioned home invasions, sorry 'storage Inspections', eventually happen to most city and surround dwellers... but when? they like to keep you on your toes.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 23 Oct 2016, 8:09 am

As I understand, the last inspection I had was the result of a 'directive' from above to inspect either all storages in a certain number of regions or a specific number, for 'compliance' purposes..

That's what they told me.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Oct 2016, 8:15 am

I've had one safe inspection I bout my second rifle about 5 years after my first and that prompted an inspection. The local cop was good though. My wife had One once she got her first rifle as well.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 23 Oct 2016, 12:19 pm

I've been told in my town the fastest way to get an inspection is to get a handgun license and start storing one, boom instant random inspection haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 6:10 am

Cop called earlier this week... told me I am up for inspection this Sunday if I am home.

Had my license 18 months, live in Melbourne outer suburbs (still city), just moved house and bought a new gun. Based on what you guys have been talking about... I don't think it was a flag that popped up... In my case, it must have been alarm bells ;)

By the way... I have my ammo in a seperate small safe (about 50kg) in another room. Does that need to be bolted down too?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Jan 2017, 6:46 am

If Vic is same as Tas then your ammo safe does not need to be bolted down.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Noisydad » 07 Jan 2017, 6:48 am

Oldbloke wrote:Had firearms for 40 yrs and never been inspected. :unknown:

Same for me.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Jan 2017, 6:50 am

Noisydad wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Had firearms for 40 yrs and never been inspected. :unknown:

Same for me.

Maybe something in what Bentaz said above: you are in a low risk category due to clean record and long history of being licenced....?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 07 Jan 2017, 8:39 am

Had two inspections within a year ish, i have moved around a bit but its only been literally 2 streets away lol, absoloutly no criminal history of any sort, turnee up the day after boxing day totally out of the blue just when i was about to go out, half an hour later.. cheers guys!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2017, 8:58 am

AusTac wrote:Had two inspections within a year ish, i have moved around a bit but its only been literally 2 streets away lol, absoloutly no criminal history of any sort, turnee up the day after boxing day totally out of the blue just when i was about to go out, half an hour later.. cheers guys!

They must have been bored.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 9:29 am

AusTac wrote:Had two inspections within a year ish, i have moved around a bit but its only been literally 2 streets away lol, absoloutly no criminal history of any sort, turnee up the day after boxing day totally out of the blue just when i was about to go out, half an hour later.. cheers guys!

Did they not notify you first via a phone call. that's how it normally happens. I would have told them to come back if you were going out, you're within your rights to do so if the time they want to do an inspection doesn't suit you. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 9:48 am

Same here.... no criminal history... also I work for a Government Department which requires all sort of checks during the recruitment process... have working with children check also... a driving instructors license blah blah blah

I don't think its about the credibility of the person that comes into account (well not in my case anyway). It seems by all your comments that city locations are more prone to inspections, moving house, and buying a new gun that triggers a person to get flagged for inspection.

When you think about it, there is some logic to it:
- When moving, they want to make sure that you prioritise the correct installation of your gun storage equipment
- When buying a new gun, they want to make sure that now you will be getting more guns that they are all stored correctly
- Newly licensed shooters, ensuring that they understand their storage obligations

It is a little bit of an inconvenience... but it is a small price to pay for the privilege of being a licensed firearms owner. Also, I'm glad that thieving low-life have a hard time getting their hands on weapons when they come across a dwelling with guns stored.

That's my rant done for the day ;)... Thanks for listening :P
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

I get the feeling they only inspect when you move house (cos you have to change your license details that seems to trigger an inspection going by my experience in doing so) I've bought about 6 diff firearms since my original inspection in this particular location and haven't had an inspection since the original one about a week or 2 after moving, which they rang up and organised before showing up.

When I moved from Qld (where I'd never had an inspection ever) I'd gotten onto the NSW FAR and changed my details etc and after a mth or so I get a call from the Qld police wanting to inspect my safe :crazy: I told the officer you're welcome too but you might want to pack some tucker and a change of clothes as I'm in NSW now :lol: What a system we have, apparently I should have informed the Qld mob I was no longer living there (one would have thought that the NSW Far would have triggered some sort of details change to Qld Far but apparently not, then I get a letter from Qld Police telling me I have to hand my firearms into the local police, which I didn't I just got onto the Qld Far and got them to sort this crap out and then sent my license back (you don't have to go through this crap with a car license so why the hell do we have to go through it with a firearms license FFS :silent: Talk about a stupid backwards thinking society we are operating in, what a worry.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

shapeshifter wrote:Cop called earlier this week... told me I am up for inspection this Sunday if I am home.

Had my license 18 months, live in Melbourne outer suburbs (still city), just moved house and bought a new gun. Based on what you guys have been talking about... I don't think it was a flag that popped up... In my case, it must have been alarm bells ;)

By the way... I have my ammo in a seperate small safe (about 50kg) in another room. Does that need to be bolted down too?

Nope, just needs to be lockable and separate from your firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 08 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

Well the inspection took place this afternoon... rang the door bell, came in, I opened the safe and asked him if he wants a look... he said just show me the serial number. He asked if its bolted down... i signed the piece of paper, he left me a copy and left. Less than 60 seconds. Didn't even check ammo.
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 3:22 pm

shapeshifter wrote:Well the inspection took place this afternoon... rang the door bell, came in, I opened the safe and asked him if he wants a look... he said just show me the serial number. He asked if its bolted down... i signed the piece of paper, he left me a copy and left. Less than 60 seconds. Didn't even check ammo.

Yeah that's all they generally do mate, they just want to know the safe is secure and up to the job and the firearm/s are where they are supposed to be and the paperwork is correct.

Good to hear it went fine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 08 Jan 2017, 4:38 pm

Do you have just one firearm? I had to drag all mine one by one, not that i mind but it took ages
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by shapeshifter » 08 Jan 2017, 6:20 pm

yeah... just the one at the moment... the howa 1500 .243 is on its way... .and will get a 30-06 in May
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 08 Jan 2017, 7:27 pm

bentaz wrote:
AusTac wrote:Do you have just one firearm? I had to drag all mine one by one, not that i mind but it took ages

Yeah if they come round here they better have some time to waste, lol! I'll bore them to tears with a history lesson on each of my many single barrel shotguns.
Be suprised if they ever want to come back for more. :lol:

Trying to find the serial on the stevens was a bit'h!

They'd be there for hours if you had to crack open the single barrel armoury by the sounds of it :shock:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Next

Return to Gunsmithing