Police and gun storage.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Police and gun storage.

Post by Gwion » 07 Jan 2017, 6:50 am

Noisydad wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Had firearms for 40 yrs and never been inspected. :unknown:

Same for me.

Maybe something in what Bentaz said above: you are in a low risk category due to clean record and long history of being licenced....?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 07 Jan 2017, 8:39 am

Had two inspections within a year ish, i have moved around a bit but its only been literally 2 streets away lol, absoloutly no criminal history of any sort, turnee up the day after boxing day totally out of the blue just when i was about to go out, half an hour later.. cheers guys!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2017, 8:58 am

AusTac wrote:Had two inspections within a year ish, i have moved around a bit but its only been literally 2 streets away lol, absoloutly no criminal history of any sort, turnee up the day after boxing day totally out of the blue just when i was about to go out, half an hour later.. cheers guys!

They must have been bored.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 9:29 am

AusTac wrote:Had two inspections within a year ish, i have moved around a bit but its only been literally 2 streets away lol, absoloutly no criminal history of any sort, turnee up the day after boxing day totally out of the blue just when i was about to go out, half an hour later.. cheers guys!

Did they not notify you first via a phone call. that's how it normally happens. I would have told them to come back if you were going out, you're within your rights to do so if the time they want to do an inspection doesn't suit you. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 9:48 am

Same here.... no criminal history... also I work for a Government Department which requires all sort of checks during the recruitment process... have working with children check also... a driving instructors license blah blah blah

I don't think its about the credibility of the person that comes into account (well not in my case anyway). It seems by all your comments that city locations are more prone to inspections, moving house, and buying a new gun that triggers a person to get flagged for inspection.

When you think about it, there is some logic to it:
- When moving, they want to make sure that you prioritise the correct installation of your gun storage equipment
- When buying a new gun, they want to make sure that now you will be getting more guns that they are all stored correctly
- Newly licensed shooters, ensuring that they understand their storage obligations

It is a little bit of an inconvenience... but it is a small price to pay for the privilege of being a licensed firearms owner. Also, I'm glad that thieving low-life have a hard time getting their hands on weapons when they come across a dwelling with guns stored.

That's my rant done for the day ;)... Thanks for listening :P
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

I get the feeling they only inspect when you move house (cos you have to change your license details that seems to trigger an inspection going by my experience in doing so) I've bought about 6 diff firearms since my original inspection in this particular location and haven't had an inspection since the original one about a week or 2 after moving, which they rang up and organised before showing up.

When I moved from Qld (where I'd never had an inspection ever) I'd gotten onto the NSW FAR and changed my details etc and after a mth or so I get a call from the Qld police wanting to inspect my safe :crazy: I told the officer you're welcome too but you might want to pack some tucker and a change of clothes as I'm in NSW now :lol: What a system we have, apparently I should have informed the Qld mob I was no longer living there (one would have thought that the NSW Far would have triggered some sort of details change to Qld Far but apparently not, then I get a letter from Qld Police telling me I have to hand my firearms into the local police, which I didn't I just got onto the Qld Far and got them to sort this crap out and then sent my license back (you don't have to go through this crap with a car license so why the hell do we have to go through it with a firearms license FFS :silent: Talk about a stupid backwards thinking society we are operating in, what a worry.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2017, 4:14 pm

shapeshifter wrote:Cop called earlier this week... told me I am up for inspection this Sunday if I am home.

Had my license 18 months, live in Melbourne outer suburbs (still city), just moved house and bought a new gun. Based on what you guys have been talking about... I don't think it was a flag that popped up... In my case, it must have been alarm bells ;)

By the way... I have my ammo in a seperate small safe (about 50kg) in another room. Does that need to be bolted down too?

Nope, just needs to be lockable and separate from your firearms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by shapeshifter » 08 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

Well the inspection took place this afternoon... rang the door bell, came in, I opened the safe and asked him if he wants a look... he said just show me the serial number. He asked if its bolted down... i signed the piece of paper, he left me a copy and left. Less than 60 seconds. Didn't even check ammo.
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jan 2017, 3:22 pm

shapeshifter wrote:Well the inspection took place this afternoon... rang the door bell, came in, I opened the safe and asked him if he wants a look... he said just show me the serial number. He asked if its bolted down... i signed the piece of paper, he left me a copy and left. Less than 60 seconds. Didn't even check ammo.

Yeah that's all they generally do mate, they just want to know the safe is secure and up to the job and the firearm/s are where they are supposed to be and the paperwork is correct.

Good to hear it went fine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 08 Jan 2017, 4:38 pm

Do you have just one firearm? I had to drag all mine one by one, not that i mind but it took ages
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by shapeshifter » 08 Jan 2017, 6:20 pm

yeah... just the one at the moment... the howa 1500 .243 is on its way... .and will get a 30-06 in May
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 08 Jan 2017, 7:27 pm

bentaz wrote:
AusTac wrote:Do you have just one firearm? I had to drag all mine one by one, not that i mind but it took ages

Yeah if they come round here they better have some time to waste, lol! I'll bore them to tears with a history lesson on each of my many single barrel shotguns.
Be suprised if they ever want to come back for more. :lol:

Trying to find the serial on the stevens was a bit'h!

They'd be there for hours if you had to crack open the single barrel armoury by the sounds of it :shock:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by shapeshifter » 08 Jan 2017, 8:04 pm

bentaz wrote:
AusTac wrote:Do you have just one firearm? I had to drag all mine one by one, not that i mind but it took ages

Yeah if they come round here they better have some time to waste, lol! I'll bore them to tears with a history lesson on each of my many single barrel shotguns.

May become a station joke to send out the new recruits to your place :P Could work against you...

Captain: Send the newb to Bentaz's place for a storage compliance check
Sargent: Are you sure Cap?
Captain: I dont like him... not one little bit
Sargent: Ummm... who sir? The rookie or Bentaz?
Captain: Both of them dikwad... Both of them!

haha
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 08 Jan 2017, 10:09 pm

bentaz wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd just show em Lil pinky first bentaz :P :lol: and then chase them out to the car yelling "don't leave" I have concealed weapon in my pants I want to show you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Sorry couldn't help myself :friends:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Jan 2017, 10:50 pm

Meh. That'd be a minor infringenent, a small fine at best
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by darwindingo » 08 Jan 2017, 11:10 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Meh. That'd be a minor infringenent, a small fine at best

You talking about Lil pinky ? or the concealed weapon in the pants thing ? ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :silent:

“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by GLS_1956 » 09 Jan 2017, 5:20 am

Over the last few years I have been reading, and commenting on, gun forums in Australia, Canada, and the U.K.. Yes I'm an American, I live in the middle of the USA, Oklahoma, where we have minimal interference from the State when it comes to our exercising our Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

From an American view point each of these countries have their quirks. You in Australia are denied semiautomatic rifles and shotguns but are allowed manually cycled rifles, however it appears that the only repeating shotguns you are allowed are lever action designs, while when it comes to handguns you Aussies are permitted all methods of operation or designs as long as an arbitrary barrel length is met, this seems to be the case for Canadians as well. But for the poor Britain who wishes to shoot ah handgun not only do the guns need a ridiculously long barrel but they must also have an asinine extension projecting rearward from the pistol. To their good fortune the English shooters are allowed to have semiautomatic rimfire rifles as well as semiauto shotguns, and the use of silencers/moderators/suppressors is somewhat common in the U.K. And the Canadian gunowner has fewer stumbling blocks put in their path than either island nation.

But one or two points that come across as a constant with all three nations is the qualifying for gun ownership and government mandated storage requirements. Now I fully agree that persons should know how to safely handle and use a gun, any gun including air guns. I myself was trained by my father who was trained by both his father and the United States Army in the proper use of firearms, and I have given instructions to a number of people over the years in which I feel I gave good service to in the tutoring. I have also known people who have had no more instructing in gun handling than what they could read in the public library, this was long before the internet, and what information that came with the gun when they purchased it and they have shown themselves to be good and safe with their guns. The situations we face here in the US run into is multifold. Not only is gun ownership an enumerated Constitutional right, but training is not always readily available nor do all parts of the country have a range close at hand.

The point of requiring secure lockable storage while a good idea, one I do follow to a large degree, it runs afoul when you realize that in many cases here in the US you'd be trying to mandate that someone who owns only one gun, say a 22 rifle or shotgun, to purchase a steel safe that cost more than the total cost of their on or two guns. Oh and when it comes to an American Citizen allowing a government official in their home to inspect such a situation you're looking at a whole new batch of violating an American's Constitutional rights
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jan 2017, 5:26 am

darwindingo wrote:
bentaz wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd just show em Lil pinky first bentaz :P :lol: and then chase them out to the car yelling "don't leave" I have concealed weapon in my pants I want to show you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Sorry couldn't help myself :friends:

Jeff

Sounds like a small calibre :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 09 Jan 2017, 10:46 am

Hey. Watch it. We don't need pictures of your little pinky. Save that for less respectful forums
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Flyer » 16 Jan 2017, 1:14 am

That's a furry pussy.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Next

Return to Gunsmithing