rifle barrel ferritic nitrocarburizing / salt nitriding

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

rifle barrel ferritic nitrocarburizing / salt nitriding

Post by rossfrb » 20 Nov 2016, 5:21 pm

Hi all
I recently came across a reference about salt nitriding/ferritic nitrocarburizing rifle barrels.
Subsequent searches yielded more information.
The process supposedly makes barrels more wear resistant without affecting accuracy.
For someone thinking of rebarreling a 22-250 this sounds attractive.
I am unable to find any aussie centric references, or euro centric for that matter, it all seems to be coming out of USA.

So throwing it out there - what is the general consensus?
Are there any aussie gun smiths or barrel makers that do this sort of thing?
cheers
rb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: rifle barrel ferritic nitrocarburizing / salt nitriding

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Nov 2016, 1:38 pm

G'day rossfrb,
I am not aware of any gunsmiths in Australia currently set up to nitride a barrel. There are, however, literally hundreds of heat treatment companies here, many of whom can do both salt and vapour nitriding. Check the Yellow pages for your area and talk to the engineers direct, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: rifle barrel ferritic nitrocarburizing / salt nitriding

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Nov 2016, 2:26 pm

Many, but not too many, years back I attended a presentation by a Sutton Tools guy about their high tech TiN process, those Snazzy Gold coated tool bits, mills, drills... Titanium Nitride vacuum depositional (plasma??) process as I recall... very cutting edge tech... Hard and very high wearing....

I even later spoke to them about putting some barrels into their process yrs back, but didnt go through..

Honestly, the relatively low wear of most chambering wouldnt warrent an expensive internal surface hardening treatment, perhaps the v.heavy hitters, supermags and crazy 5 shot wonders like the 22-50BMG...or if you just want I noice external finish :unknown:

I understand the Nitro-Carburising differs by the addition of Carbon to the mix, and other bits of process,
https://www.ferronova.com/international ... /Nitr3.pdf
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Gunsmithing