Anyone bedded a Sako 85?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Anyone bedded a Sako 85?

Post by brett1868 » 22 Mar 2017, 9:51 pm

What a great write up, some excellent forensic work done with the results to back it up. I haven't worried about bedding my 85's cause they shoot better then I can at the moment but I'll definitely take the lessons you're learnt onboard for future reference.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 23 Mar 2017, 6:18 am

Glad you got to the bottom of it but had to admit I have been wondering why you haven't bedded the pillar in the stock from the moment you mentioned putting a pillar in.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Flyer » 23 Mar 2017, 10:21 am

I guess the answer to that is the quest for knowledge. I knew the pillar worked, but I didn't know exactly why. Was it stabilising lateral (side to side) movement in the stock, linear (up and down) or fore and aft movement? Was the rear the main problem or was movement in the front action contributing? Could a simple bedding job resolve the issue without a pillar? Would I need to do a proper pillar support job on the rifle (redrill the action screw holes and install proper 14mm rifle pillars) to permanently fix it?

Maybe I'm overcomplicating things here, but it's one thing to fix a problem and something else to understand how and why it worked so that you can apply that knowledge to the next job.

So I'm probably going to order a pillar bedding kit and do the job right at some point. The stainless steel pillar I made up from 8mm tubing was really only meant as a stop-gap anyway, and to experiment with stabilising the stock.

Turns out, my main problem may simply have been the screw working loose (as it was not sitting straight in the stock - the rear action screw hole was drilled off centre). Took a while to figure out, I admit, but bedding the rifle wasn't a big job and it doesn't seem to have hurt anything.

Now, I may have made a bit of a goose of myself, but at least the next person who comes along can save themselves some time and trouble!
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by orkhunter » 26 Dec 2017, 7:51 pm

g,day flyer , I read with great interest of your trials and tribulations with your sako 85 . l have a 85 hunter that did shoot well ,now it doesn't .the action is moving in the stock under recoil.in your last post you mentioned a pillar bedding kit .did you get one and where do you get them from. l have been looking for answers in overseas forums and an aussie came up with the cure .many thanks for your research.
orkhunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

G'day Flyer I've been watching and mate you've certainly been in the midst of it
Mate I have had 3 sakos and still have 2 my 85 I couldn't stop the barrel moving around in the stock
eventually I glass bedded it and Bingo end of problem my 2 roughteck's had same issues so I glass bedded my
last one before even firing a shot and have no issues '' But barrel had too much movement when it arrived''
My personal opinion is most sako rifles with the stock recoil system now need glass bedding unless like the larger calibers
above 300 have lock in type bits to stop movement
Anyway mate a little trivia for you may help may not
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing