1894 takedown conversion

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

1894 takedown conversion

Post by andym79 » 11 Jan 2017, 7:39 pm

Hi, guys I have been toying with the idea of getting one of my 94s converted to a takedown.

Reason being easier to clean, easy to transport and the possibility of having more than one barrel to suit an action, so that I can add another cartridge or two without having to buy entire actions and get police approval over and over again.

Anyway, I don't think we need talk about the reason for wanting a takedown I just do.

I have a barrels in 25-35, 30-30 and 38-55.

I am thinking of getting a barrel, forearm tube set made up for each and having them fitted to the same action.

The smith would need to make up a plate, thread the magazine tube, fit a takedown style magazine plug and interrupt the threads so that a 1/4 turn engages them.

The real question I have is do you think they could be indexed without needing to cutting a bit of the barrel and rechambering? The smith says he need to see an measure it all up!

From anyone's experience is a recutting of the chamber usually necessary for this sort of thing?

I ask because the local guy only has a 30-30 reamer and not the other two, the nearest guy who has all 3 is miles and miles away, and it would be nice to use a local for a change. Not that I have been unhappy with the service I have got from QLD.

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: 1894 takedown conversion

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2017, 8:21 pm

andym79 wrote:The real question I have is do you think they could be indexed without needing to cutting a bit of the barrel and rechambering? The smith says he need to see an measure it all up!

From anyone's experience is a recutting of the chamber usually necessary for this sort of thing?

I ask because the local guy only has a 30-30 reamer and not the other two, the nearest guy who has all 3 is miles and miles away, and it would be nice to use a local for a change. Not that I have been unhappy with the service I have got from QLD.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the '94 but can't think of any way of doing this without having to headspace each barrel and cut the chambers to suit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: 1894 takedown conversion

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2017, 8:27 pm

Actually, there might be one way but it'd be a fair bit of work.
If there's room you could make sleeves that thread into the interrupted receiver thread. Then machine off the barrel threads and press the sleeve onto the barrel, indexed and head spaced properly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing