Winchester factory ae vs top

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Winchester factory ae vs top

Post by andym79 » 21 Jan 2017, 3:04 pm

Hi guys, I have the option to pick up a couple of cheap unused Winchester 94 as barrels! Only problem is all my actions are top eject!

What smithing is involved in using one of these barrels? A new extractor groove. But what else? Is an as barrel likely to head space correctly? I ask because I have interchanged some top eject ones and they have timed and spaced fine without modification.

Also does anyone know if the black shadow or timber carbine 444 barrels have the thread common of the big bore, 307, 356, 375, .875x28 or do they have the standard thread? I assume the bigbore but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Winchester factory ae vs top

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jan 2017, 3:16 pm

andym79 wrote:Hi guys, I have the option to pick up a couple of cheap unused Winchester 94 as barrels! Only problem is all my actions are top eject!

What smithing is involved in using one of these barrels? A new extractor groove. But what else? Is an as barrel likely to head space correctly? I ask because I have interchanged some top eject ones and they have timed and spaced fine without modification.

Also does anyone know if the black shadow or timber carbine 444 barrels have the thread common of the big bore, 307, 356, 375, .875x28 or do they have the standard thread? I assume the bigbore but it would be nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks

With straight-walled rimmed cases I would expect headspace to be fine, or at least very easy to adjust.

Any help?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-45574.html
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing