Best barrel?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Best barrel?

Post by andym79 » 06 Feb 2017, 5:32 pm

Hi guys,hate to ask this sort of question, but which of these companies makes the best barrels?

Lothar Walther
Shilen
Krieger

Added to that point, which is best a CM or SS barrel?

A centrefire barrel, to be used in competition.

Thanks
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Best barrel?

Post by Rifle realist » 06 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

Hi andym79
If you look at a lot of the equipment some of the top echelon are using Bartlein Krieger feature at the top of the list, I don't know if it is people following trends or performance. I have heard anecdotally that Lothar Walther barrels are harder and last longer. Shillen have slipped in popularity recently I used to use them all the time, I think there is just a lot more choice now. I run a Krieger single point cut rifled barrel in my fclass rifle with a tuner and it shoots way above my ability.
Sako quad .22 WMR 3-9X40 Leupold VXI
Anchutz 1430-1434 .22 Hornet 4 X 40 Bushnell
Sako 85 Varmint .260 Rem 4.5-14X50 Leupold VXIII
Sako 85 Hunter .338 Win Mag 3.5-10X40 Leupold VXIII
Marlin 1895 45/70
Assorted .22s & Shotguns
Rifle realist
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Smiley » 06 Feb 2017, 8:06 pm

The best barrel I've ever had was a Lothar Walther. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Also happy with TrueFlite. Never had a Kreiger. My Shilen is disappointing, but the worst I've had was Maddco. I will never deal with them again.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 06 Feb 2017, 8:33 pm

I'll admit I'm not an expert on this, but I note Krieger comes up constantly when talking precision barrels.

https://kriegerbarrels.com/

Loads of people swear by them, they can't all be wrong ;)
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 06 Feb 2017, 9:05 pm

I'll throw another name in the ring...Lilja Precision rifle barrels.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Feb 2017, 10:26 am

I'll pose another question, what is the intended competition?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 07 Feb 2017, 4:19 pm

Hardy barrels are quickly getting a following for their quality, accuracy and being easy to clean. I'm having a 7mm Hardy 1:9" twist barrel fitted to a gun at the moment. cost is reasonable and the smith i'm using uses them on his own guns.

Good luck getting a competition barrel in chrome moly, I'm sure they're available somewhere

the real answer is "the one your smith has in stock"

while i'm sure the top end guys who can afford to buy 3-4 barrels at a time and cherry pick will have their preference but they are also buying barrels 6-12 months in advance

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 08 Feb 2017, 7:27 am

And the answer is.........
All of them and more
Even lowly regarded (by target shooters) Douglas barrels had their moment of fame with benchresters with their double buttoned barrels.
The reality is any hand lapped barrel by a competent maker will shoot.
The problem is these days many of the big name makers have to machine lap in order to deal with their production volumes so inevitably a not so good barrel will slip through. That's when they rely on the old standbys
1. Faulty chambering and fitting (sometimes true)
2. Incorrect run in (gimmee a break)
Stainless vs. Chrome moly
Stainless is easier to machine and thus obtain an excellent finish, tooling lasts longer. It is less inclined to foul but compared to chrome moly gilt edge accuracy life may be shorter. Those characteristics that make it easier to machine work against it for accuracy life.
Chrome moly is harder to machine and more work is required to obtain an excellent finish, harder on tooling. It will be more inclined to copper foul and will require careful cleaning and more of it.
The best shooting barrel I have had was a Tobler. It was full of chatter marks but if I had a borescope at the time I would have never accepted it.
The best internally finished barrels I have ever checked are Lothar Walther.
Please note that I am talking about Competition Target barrels here and not sporter or replacement barrels.
MAB (now TSE), Tobler and Maddco are all capable of making excellent barrels. In the past Maddco was the least easy to deal with.
To the best of my knowledge only MAB will make chrome moly target barrels, they will even hand lap sporter barrels if you want.
I hope I have dispelled any notions that you can just go out, pick a maker, and buy a 'best' barrel.
In the end you pays yer money and takes yer chances.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Feb 2017, 7:38 am

I'm kind'a a novice to the whole re-barrelling caper but my Truflite 7mm 'light straight taper' has proven to be very good. Shoots true and is very easy on the fouling side of things. They also have a good reputation in longrange hunting circles and f-class. Many a competition and Championship has been won by a Barnard/Truflite combo.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by WhelanLad » 08 Feb 2017, 7:57 pm

a Straight one :D
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria