Help installing a LA101 22lr Lumley Spring Kit

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Help installing a LA101 22lr Lumley Spring Kit

Post by in2anity » 19 Feb 2017, 4:36 pm

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Lumley Arms Trigger and Sear Spring Kit for my LA101 22lr. I don't really know where to start with regard to installation. I could start ripping it apart and see how I go, however I'd prefer not to unnecessarily remove components. So I figured there'd be a few on here who'd done this job themselves and could provide a guide on how to do it. DISCLAIMER: I take full responsibility for my own actions, so feel free to make suggestions if you've done this yourself. I have an array of tools including:

- small nylon/brass hammer
- small pin punches of various sizes
- metric hex-key set going down to size 1.5mm
- small circlip pliers

+ your usual tools.

I've provided labelled photographs of my detached trigger assembly so we all clearly know exactly what components we are talking about:

figure_1.jpg
figure_1.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 15268 times

figure_2.jpg
figure_2.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 15268 times

figure_3.jpg
figure_3.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 15268 times

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Help installing a LA101 22lr Lumley Spring Kit

Post by deye243 » 19 Feb 2017, 4:41 pm

I just done mine and if you want you can ring me and I will talk you through it
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 Feb 2017, 7:11 am

Hi guys, quick update; was able to install the spring kit myself just by having a go :thumbsup:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 22 Feb 2017, 8:02 am

Love your work! I had a gun smith do it. After another gun smith stuffed up the action screw.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Feb 2017, 11:16 am

Wylie27 wrote:Love your work! I had a gun smith do it. After another gun smith stuffed up the action screw.

The trigger is bloody light isn't it - bit of a shock to the system TBH, I've plinked thousands of rounds through it (before the replacement), so it feels very different now. I'd be nervous about trekking around with it chambered and safety off that's for sure. Guess it's a good way of forcing you to never put yourself in such a situation.

The two action screws were a no brainers, dunno how he damaged them? - the trigger assembly screw on the other hand, it was covered in some kind of blue polymer. It was quite difficult to ascertain that you actually need a different 4mm key to remove it; I actually thought Id stripped it at first (which is when I lost a bit of confidence). But once I cleaned it up properly, I realised it was fine (just a different size).

The only thing I'm not completely sure of is if I need to somehow dent the assembly housing again to lock the pins in? Or will they basically never fall out due to being such snug fits?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 22 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

I have put a couple of hundred through it now and yes it is light now.. first shot I thought crap I just lent on it..

Haven't been to the field with it since the upgrade however I never left it cocked n locked.., rifles always are unloaded until I am ready to shoot.. yep I have missed opportunities because of it.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Feb 2017, 12:06 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Haven't been to the field with it since the upgrade however I never left it cocked n locked.., rifles always are unloaded until I am ready to shoot.. yep I have missed opportunities because of it.

What worries me are those times when you go to shoot, then the creature moves, so you leave the round chambered but keep on creeping forward. Guess I just need to learn to flick on the safety at that point... then again such an audible click isn't ideal. Hard to break old habits :unknown:

Considering they're marketed as a cross-disciplinary rifle, I guess I can kind of see why Lithgow opted for a slightly more conservative trigger weight though. IMO something around 3lbs out of the box would have been ideal.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 22 Feb 2017, 12:13 pm

Haha the routine is, load round, bunny moves, drop magazine, cycle bolt and clear chamber, re add round to magazine and load magazine.

The bolt and safety is pretty quiet anyway, usually we are in /on a ute so we aren't quiet anyway lol

Like I said I have missed things.

Yes 3lb would have been great or adjustable would have been good too.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Haha the routine is, load round, bunny moves, drop magazine, cycle bolt and clear chamber, re add round to magazine and load magazine.
The bolt and safety is pretty quiet anyway, usually we are in /on a ute so we aren't quiet anyway lol

I'm always on foot so I must say guilty as charged :oops: oh well time to pull my socks up i suppose
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 22 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

Lol it's just my thing.. well my family's thing, we all do it..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 22 Feb 2017, 1:34 pm

when you had it apart if you have a good look the safety is a sear block and not just a trigger block

and it wouldn't matter how light the trigger is it will not go off and on the other hand there is as Wylie27

does empty chamber or as I do (when not carrying trigger sticks) lift the bolt .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2017, 2:03 pm

Just tested her out after the trigger job:

IMG_5498.JPG
IMG_5498.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 15061 times

And wow, just wow. That's @ 50m with cheap CCI SV ammo; that rifle just keeps on impressing me! Very happy with it now.
Last edited by in2anity on 08 Mar 2017, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Mar 2017, 3:51 pm

Wylie27 wrote: the routine is, load round, bunny moves, drop magazine, cycle bolt and clear chamber, re add round to magazine and load magazine .

That's our routine too. Yeah you miss a few opportunities but I'd rather be overly safe than forever sorry.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 04 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

How good is that.. I don't that great accuracy consistently with cci, only with eley
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2017, 6:08 pm

Wylie27 wrote:How good is that.. I don't that great accuracy consistently with cci, only with eley

I've shot a brick of eley club, 2 bricks of CCI SV and a brick of SK SP - they all shot about the same at around consistent 1-1.5 moa. Since the trigger job it seems stupid accurate now with CCI SV - dunno whether it's me or the trigger but i shot six groups of five like that today without a single flyer. Admittedly it was indoors, and I don't normally shoot off bench, and I was taking a little more time to shoot in between heart beats, but I swear she's shooting better than ever... perhaps it was because I warmed up on iron sights beforehand that helped... dunno. Any case, I'm bloody happy!
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by catman » 04 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

Hey friends,
Doe's this Lumley Spring kit come in the W.M.R?
Or is iit the same, thanks for the help
Regards catman and the girl
catman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 04 Mar 2017, 7:22 pm

catman wrote:Hey friends,
Doe's this Lumley Spring kit come in the W.M.R?
Or is iit the same, thanks for the help
Regards catman and the girl

When you say "W.M.R" are you referring to the 22 magnum version? If so, the Lumley kit is manufactured by Lumley, not Lithgow. As far as I know, it is the same trigger across all the rimfire flavors of the 101. That being said, I only own the 22lr version so this statement is somewhat unsubstantiated.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by catman » 05 Mar 2017, 8:07 am

Yes I was speaking of Lithgow 22W.M.R, thanks
Catman
catman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by KoalaGrundle » 15 Jun 2019, 10:04 pm

Installed the Lumley trigger spring today. Seemed to go smoothly enough. Read this thread and followed this guide
https://highvelocityhuntingaustralia.co ... tructions/

I didn't install the reduced travel sear spring because I wasn't confident I would be able to get it back together again. Will leave that for an actual gunsmith
Unfortunately I don't have a torque screwdriver so the action screws are probably not set correctly.
I recorded a video of it so might get around to putting it on youtube one day
The first rule of gun safety is to have fun
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Sep 2019, 2:32 pm

KoalaGrundle wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a torque screwdriver so the action screws are probably not set correctly.

I wouldn't worry about that too much - mine went back together without a torque driver, and it still shoots sub moa at 50m even with pretty cheap ammo. Unless you're shooting benchrest with high quality ammo, in that particular rifle I doubt you'd be able to measure any change.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by John from Auburn » 12 Jul 2021, 2:14 am

Need a little help installing the spring in my lithgow hmr 17. Great picture in this discussion but would appreciate step by step instructions. Can someone please help
Thanks
John
John from Auburn
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by in2anity » 15 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

John from Auburn wrote:Need a little help installing the spring in my lithgow hmr 17. Great picture in this discussion but would appreciate step by step instructions. Can someone please help
Thanks
John

Back when i took those photos, i had always planned on writing up a proper guide as you a requesting. I just never got around to it :roll: . What part aren't you clear about?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Insert random name » 15 Jul 2021, 10:34 am

thanks for rezzing this topic, just ordered the spring for my Lithgow .22 it only gets shot at the range so need every bit of help I can get and a lighter trigger is it.
Insert random name
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jul 2021, 7:05 pm

Sometimes when I pull stuff apart it can take me 2-3 frustrating cranky days before I get it back together properly but by then I’m an Xpert and hopefully won forget how it done
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by John from Auburn » 16 Jul 2021, 1:49 am

I found one other place on the web with instructions butt pictures was not clear in identifying parts. If you match your pictures letters to the following procedure it would help. Removed circular clip. Remove trigger retaining pin. Loosen grub screw. Remove safety pin. Remove trigger spring and bolt release plunger. Thanks for all your help with this.
John from Auburn
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by in2anity » 16 Jul 2021, 10:37 am

Removed circular clip. I on my picture
Remove trigger retaining pin. F on my picture, this is the only step that requires a punch+small hammer. Loctite/nailpolish the side the retaining bur was knocked away
Loosen grub screw. E on my picture
Remove safety pin. A on my picture

(remove trigger)

Remove trigger spring and bolt release plunger. From memory (it's been a while), I think the head of the bolt release plunger is obscured by the safety leaver in my photos. From memory I have a feeling the base of the plunger might be H but I'm not 100% sure. Whether it's H or not, once you lift the safety leaver out, you should easily be able to identify the head of the bolt release plunger akin to this image:

plungerSpring.jpg
trigger spring and bolt release plunger.
plungerSpring.jpg (136.72 KiB) Viewed 8604 times

This last step will become clear, once you get to it.

Please correct me where I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've done one, or add another photo clarifying once completed. It'd be nice to put this guide to bed, once and for all.

In2.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by John from Auburn » 16 Jul 2021, 11:56 am

Thank you so much for the help. I will give it a go next week.
John from Auburn
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by hutchley » 04 Aug 2021, 11:39 am

Thanks for posting this. I'm just about to embark on the trigger spring replacement, but also found the part labelling on the spring suppliers website impossible to read !

The standard trigger weight as purchased is ludicrously heavy - definitely the limitation on accuracy with my 22LR LA101. Still getting used to the PARD NV008 I have mounted on it for bunnies at night, even on the lowest brightness setting you immediately lose your night vision in the eye you use for sighting, but not through the other. A very weird sensation !
hutchley
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by John from Auburn » 09 Aug 2021, 1:16 am

Did not get very far on replacing the spring on my 17hmr 101 crossover. Remove the kimdye (blue stuff).but could not remove the bolt that attaches the trigger housing to the barrel. Applied 50 ft pounds but would not break free. Lumley who I purchased the spring kit from suggested applying heat. Small torch thinking their might be tread locker. Kind of reluctant to try this. Has anyone else had this issue?
John from Auburn
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by John from Auburn » 09 Aug 2021, 1:19 am

Did not get very far on replacing the spring on my 17hmr 101 crossover. Remove the kimdye (blue stuff).but could not remove the bolt that attaches the trigger housing to the barrel. Applied 50 ft pounds but would not break free. Lumley who I purchased the spring kit from suggested applying heat. Small torch thinking their might be tread locker. Kind of reluctant to try this. Has anyone else had this issue?
John from Auburn
Recruit
Recruit

-

Next

Return to Gunsmithing