Are TSE barrels any good?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Are TSE barrels any good?

Post by Smiley » 10 Mar 2017, 8:34 pm

I've tried a few others, but have no experience with TSE. Can anyone here give a report?
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Are TSE barrels any good?

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Mar 2017, 9:02 pm

I know a few people who have them and they seem to be good shooters going by what they say.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Mar 2017, 1:25 pm

G'day Smiley,
They are good barrels, I have one in 308 fitted to a Parker Hale TX1200 action and it shoots very well. They are not Bartleins, of course, but they are well priced and LOCAL!! Hooray!! Have you considered Lothar? They are also well priced, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Smiley » 11 Mar 2017, 1:54 pm

Yeah I had a Lothar 20br. To date my best barrel but I'm too impatient and don't want to wait for it.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 11 Mar 2017, 9:28 pm

Aren't they the "new" MAB? They always made very good barrels.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Mar 2017, 10:38 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Aren't they the "new" MAB? They always made very good barrels.

Yes used to be known as MAB.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Smiley » 13 Mar 2017, 6:29 pm

I think they've changed ownership at least once since MAB. TSE just don't seem to get mentioned on forums or ranges these days. I gave them a call and prices seem competitive, but I've also had a reputable barrel maker in Toowoomba sell me a dud and then say it's not his problem. So I would to get a few opinions before I take the leap of faith.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Apollo » 14 Mar 2017, 1:39 am

Then there are Tobler Barrels as well. When the old fellow was making them, they won competition shoots. These days they are not mentioned amoungst competition shoots even though the young bloke is still competing. Don't know if he is still making barrels but he was a few years ago.

TSE, MAB & Madco have a connection. I forget the whole story. Maddco certainly make top class barrels and still win at the highest level of competition shooting in Australia against overseas imports.

Some people say a Barrel can be a DUD...??.. not quite true. In my view it can be who/how it was chambered, as an example I know a person that shoots at national competition and obtained a Trueflight Barrel that was returned to a Gunsmith with the story ...it was a DUD. Rechambered, put on a different rifle and it's won a few national competition shoots. Same barrel, different chambering, different rifle & different shooter. Go figure...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Smiley » 14 Mar 2017, 5:41 am

Apollo wrote:Then there are Tobler Barrels as well. When the old fellow was making them, they won competition shoots. These days they are not mentioned amoungst competition shoots even though the young bloke is still competing. Don't know if he is still making barrels but he was a few years ago.

TSE, MAB & Madco have a connection. I forget the whole story. Maddco certainly make top class barrels and still win at the highest level of competition shooting in Australia against overseas imports.

Some people say a Barrel can be a DUD...??.. not quite true. In my view it can be who/how it was chambered, as an example I know a person that shoots at national competition and obtained a Trueflight Barrel that was returned to a Gunsmith with the story ...it was a DUD. Rechambered, put on a different rifle and it's won a few national competition shoots. Same barrel, different chambering, different rifle & different shooter. Go figure...

The "dud" I had was chambered and fitted by the maker. After many rounds trying to get it to shoot, it was sent back twice to be looked at and I was charged for it each time and he blamed everything but his barrel ie: bedding, action, loads, shooter. His last straw was my once fired brass. I gave up after $1400 and had someone else put a Lothar on it and it was the best barrel I've had yet. Although a different cartridge. I then had the dud rechamberred and fitted to a different action by the second smith and, suprise suprise, it's still a piece of s**t. I gave that barrel away in the end.
I'm sure that he makes good barrels, but I've found it's popular opinion that if you get a bad one then you're on your own.
No second chances for that bloke, he's not getting any more of my money. :thumbsdown:
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 14 Mar 2017, 8:29 am

Smiley wrote:
Apollo wrote:Then there are Tobler Barrels as well. When the old fellow was making them, they won competition shoots. These days they are not mentioned amoungst competition shoots even though the young bloke is still competing. Don't know if he is still making barrels but he was a few years ago.

The "dud" I had was chambered and fitted by the maker. After many rounds trying to get it to shoot, it was sent back twice to be looked at and I was charged for it each time and he blamed everything but his barrel ie: bedding, action, loads, shooter. His last straw was my once fired brass. I gave up after $1400 and had someone else put a Lothar on it and it was the best barrel I've had yet. Although a different cartridge. I then had the dud rechamberred and fitted to a different action by the second smith and, suprise suprise, it's still a piece of s**t. I gave that barrel away in the end.
I'm sure that he makes good barrels, but I've found it's popular opinion that if you get a bad one then you're on your own.
No second chances for that bloke, he's not getting any more of my money. :thumbsdown:

Yes, if I don't have it wrong, that barrel maker does have a reputation for arrogance. Maybe that has something to do with the decline in the popularity of his match barrels.
If you are not a top fullbore, f class or benchrest shooter or a shooting magazine reviewer you aren't going to get far with your complaint unless it is a blindingly obvious fault in the barrel or chambering.
As a side note he is credited by one of the McMillan brothers with 'inventing' the idea of running in barrels. As in - customer "my barrel don't shoot" - maker "you mustn't have run it in properly so go away"

The advantage of TSE is he still makes chromemoly barrels and if you are prepared to pay a few bucks more he will hand lap it.
Just to add to the confusion of advice, I have a Tobler 'reject' barrel on by 223 which shoots superbly.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 14 Mar 2017, 8:59 am

So many ridiculous stories float around about barrel quality, etc. I had one old bloke (who can shoot very well, by the way) trying to tell be it can take 2000 rounds for a barrel to "start shooting". Mind you, he's idea of load development is somewhat stuck in the "this is the best load" school, not the "this is the load i developed for this barrel" school. Some very strange ideas get about!!!

Skill and attention to detail in the fitting and machining of the barrel is going to make far more impact on it's performance than which one of the "good" barrel makers has made it. The shooters skill and load development will have even more impact. Also, a great barrel stuck onto an action with minor mechanical faults will only have a limited precision potential.

I just don't understand people chasing after these gunsmiths who are disinterested in your project, have excruciatingly slow turnaround and no after sales service.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tripod » 14 Mar 2017, 9:20 am

I am ordering a TSE barrel blank today and will keep you apprised of the progress if you want.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Smiley » 14 Mar 2017, 12:53 pm

Tripod wrote:I am ordering a TSE barrel blank today and will keep you apprised of the progress if you want.

Yes please, let us know how you get on.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

You also have to take into account the "gear freak" mentality. Those that believe that you just have to have the latest and greatest "in fashion" brand of barrel.( from USA)
I have had a number of Tobler barrels and they all shoot very well. Robert is still making them, look up his website, RDT Products.
MAB/TSE barrels have always been popular with the top silhouette shooters from Qld and beyond also. Good enough to win at World Championships anyway. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 14 Mar 2017, 8:23 pm

I have a TSE 26" fluted S/S barrel rem varmint profile to my 22-250 shoots fantastic if I do my part 1/2" - 3/4" at 200y. Also my old man has one fitted to his Norinco 20 PPC again shoots fantastic 1/2" groups at 200y. So no complaints here.
Interesting I have a Bartlien barrel here for my 6.5 Epps so see how it goes once all fitted up.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bloke3006 » 14 Nov 2018, 11:35 pm

Hi

This thread is a little old, but i just picked up on it whilst looking for new barrel option for a Rem 7mm mag. I thought that i would add my experience with a TSE barrel.

I have a 7mm RM barrel made and fitted by TSE in January this year.
The barrel configuration was 27' .830 at the muzzle fitted with a T3 terminator muzzle brake twist 1:7
I wanted to shoot the Berger 195 grain EOL bullets so had the throat cut accordingly, i also wanted a 1:8 twist- TSE only offered 1:7 or 1:9.

After the barrel was fitted and ready to go, I started with the Berger classic hunter 168 grains. I did some load development with AR2217 and AR2225.
In the beginning i spend a lot of time cleaning the barrel to maintain the accuracy. I just thought this was a process of barrel brake in?
But every time i went to the range after 20 or so shots i would start to lose my accuracy. This very perplexed for me! particularly when bullets would completely miss the target and sometime not even see a bullet strike?
I removed the brake so i could see down the muzzle of the barrel, the crown was heavily fouled with carbon. I cleaned the crown carbon and cleaned the barrel only to see heavy copper fouling in the barrel.

At this stage i needed to contact TSE. I was told to clean the barrel with Sweets 7.62 to remove the copper fouling and if that didn't work use some JB bore paste. Both of these options remove the carbon and copper fouling and the rifle shot fantastic several hole in hole at 100 m until about 20 shots. Then accuracy would be off, then flyers and i even found the bullet jacket on the front side of the target.

long story short here!

I sent the rifle (barreled action) back to TSE.

I was told the muzzle brake was causing the carbon build up in the muzzle of the barrel and to shoot without the muzzle brake.

TSE had the rifle for about six weeks (July 24 to Sept 28) and well past a planned hunting trip, then all of a sudden the rifle turned up and claimed to be fix. followed by an email saying it would be best to use heavier bullets.

I loaded up some Berger 168 grain bullets with ar2217 65.4gr.

After 10 shots from the rifle I manage to hit the A4 sheet of paper 4 times and the board only 7 out of ten shots. One shot hit a wattle tree at least 3 feet above the target board from 180m.

I am frustrated as hell with this barrel and TSE! I have over 500 rounds down it for nought!
I have all this process well documented with photos and video of flyers etc.

I am looking to re barrel but not with TSE
In the mean time i purchased a 28 Nosler with a Krieger barrel no problems, and a 300 Norma with a Bartlein barrel, same no problems! and the 7 rem mag is now the fire poker!

Regards,

Mark
bloke3006
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Smiley » 15 Nov 2018, 6:29 am

bloke3006 wrote:Hi

This thread is a little old, but i just picked up on it whilst looking for new barrel option for a Rem 7mm mag. I thought that i would add my experience with a TSE barrel.

I have a 7mm RM barrel made and fitted by TSE in January this year.
The barrel configuration was 27' .830 at the muzzle fitted with a T3 terminator muzzle brake twist 1:7
I wanted to shoot the Berger 195 grain EOL bullets so had the throat cut accordingly, i also wanted a 1:8 twist- TSE only offered 1:7 or 1:9.

After the barrel was fitted and ready to go, I started with the Berger classic hunter 168 grains. I did some load development with AR2217 and AR2225.
In the beginning i spend a lot of time cleaning the barrel to maintain the accuracy. I just thought this was a process of barrel brake in?
But every time i went to the range after 20 or so shots i would start to lose my accuracy. This very perplexed for me! particularly when bullets would completely miss the target and sometime not even see a bullet strike?
I removed the brake so i could see down the muzzle of the barrel, the crown was heavily fouled with carbon. I cleaned the crown carbon and cleaned the barrel only to see heavy copper fouling in the barrel.

At this stage i needed to contact TSE. I was told to clean the barrel with Sweets 7.62 to remove the copper fouling and if that didn't work use some JB bore paste. Both of these options remove the carbon and copper fouling and the rifle shot fantastic several hole in hole at 100 m until about 20 shots. Then accuracy would be off, then flyers and i even found the bullet jacket on the front side of the target.

long story short here!

I sent the rifle (barreled action) back to TSE.

I was told the muzzle brake was causing the carbon build up in the muzzle of the barrel and to shoot without the muzzle brake.

TSE had the rifle for about six weeks (July 24 to Sept 28) and well past a planned hunting trip, then all of a sudden the rifle turned up and claimed to be fix. followed by an email saying it would be best to use heavier bullets.

I loaded up some Berger 168 grain bullets with ar2217 65.4gr.

After 10 shots from the rifle I manage to hit the A4 sheet of paper 4 times and the board only 7 out of ten shots. One shot hit a wattle tree at least 3 feet above the target board from 180m.

I am frustrated as hell with this barrel and TSE! I have over 500 rounds down it for nought!
I have all this process well documented with photos and video of flyers etc.

I am looking to re barrel but not with TSE
In the mean time i purchased a 28 Nosler with a Krieger barrel no problems, and a 300 Norma with a Bartlein barrel, same no problems! and the 7 rem mag is now the fire poker!

Regards,

Mark

That sounds like a nightmare.
I had a similar experience but with a different well known Qld barrel maker. Accuracy was not quite as bad but still unacceptable. After returning it a couple of times, he insisted that my brass was the problem (he must've thought I was born yesterday). I then bought a Tikka T3 and my same loads with the same brass gave half moa groups consistently for 4500 rounds. He's CAN make good barrels, but if you get a bad one, then it's not his problem and you're on your own.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing